Looking for German - English Translation

Fiat Ducato

Good afternoon to you all

I'm looking for someone who can translate a PDF file from German to English for me. I've been sent the user manual from Eura Mobil for my motorhome but unfortunately its all in German and they only have it in German. I must warn it is quite long around 36 pages but I'd be happy for someone to translate as much or as little as they like.

So if anyone thinks they have the time to spare and fancies a challenge please get in touch I would be very grateful.

Regards

Paul

Why not translate it on-line, you can upload to Google Translate Google will give you a plain text translation and doesn't preserve the formatting. Their is also a Google Translator Toolkit you can download that allows you to edit translated material.

Microsoft also have a free utility that works with office.

Another on-line translator is DocTranslator it preserves the formatting buy can hang on large documents.

Do a Google search you will find plenty of options.

I think what the OP is asking is how to translate from a PDF file as its not possible to COPY/PASTE PDFs so you would need to manually type the whole 36 pages into translate. Phew...

I would be interested to know an easy way to do it from a PDF file.

BKen1 - 2013-10-18 4:36 PM

I think what the OP is asking is how to translate from a PDF file as its not possible to COPY/PASTE PDFs so you would need to manually type the whole 36 pages into translate. Phew...

....you can quite happily copy/paste PDF content unless said content was copy-protected at creation time (which, of course, may be the case with this particular document).

By shrinking the page size in the PDF reader, you can select and copy a large amount of text (a good number of pages) in one go, and paste wherever you want. It's a bit hit and miss as the start of a translation process, as you're going to lose most of the text formatting, but it is a start.

Robinhood - 2013-10-18 5:49 PM

....you can quite happily copy/paste PDF content unless said content was copy-protected at creation time (which, of course, may be the case with this particular document).

By shrinking the page size in the PDF reader, you can select and copy a large amount of text (a good number of pages) in one go, and paste wherever you want. It's a bit hit and miss as the start of a translation process, as you're going to lose most of the text formatting, but it is a start.

Is possible then to overcome the copy.protect with a simple free application as I find all my PDFs are easily highlighted with a right click but then unable to copy with a right click ??

That is why I recommended programs that will translate PDF files. (lol)

lennyhb - 2013-10-18 5:27 PM

Sorry I don't think that's correct?

I think you can highlight & copy from a .pdf file - I do it regularly. Highlight the text then use "Ctrl C"(Copy) & and copy it into "notepad" or MS Word, using "Ctrl V" (Paste).

(With word you can sometimes get formatting problems, so notepad from the Accessories menu is the best. Then you can paste from notepad to Word if you want)

So it should be possible to highlight the German text from .pdf then "Ctrl C" it into Google translate:- http://translate.google.com/#de/en/Auf%20Wiedersehen ,

then paste the translation into notepad.

laimeduck - 2013-10-18 6:47 PM

I think you can highlight & copy from a .pdf file - I do it regularly. Highlight the text then use "Ctrl C"(Copy) & and copy it into "notepad" or MS Word, using "Ctrl V" (Paste).

(With word you can sometimes get formatting problems, so notepad from the Accessories menu is the best. Then you can paste from notepad to Word if you want)

So it should be possible to highlight the German text from .pdf then "Ctrl C" it into Google translate:- http://translate.google.com/#de/en/Auf%20Wiedersehen ,

[/quote

]Thanks for that Jeremy that works for me with Ctrl C.... always tried to do it via the mouse right click ...not any more. Can now sort my Spanish correspondents much easier.

Muy Bien

Brian

BKen1 - 2013-10-18 8:41 PM

Thanks for that Jeremy that works for me with Ctrl C.... always tried to do it via the mouse right click ...not any more. Can now sort my Spanish correspondents much easier.

Muy Bien

Brian

.....Ctrl C, right click and "Copy", or edit and "Copy" should all work after highlighting the target (and do for me), but as I noted above, these will all be inhibited if the document creator has nominated copy prevention.

This can be determined by opening the document (in Adobe Reader) selecting File, then Properties from the menu, and under the Security tab, checking the Document Restrictions Summary.

Robinhood - 2013-10-18 9:49 PM

BKen1 - 2013-10-18 8:41 PM

Thanks for that Jeremy that works for me with Ctrl C.... always tried to do it via the mouse right click ...not any more. Can now sort my Spanish correspondents much easier.

Muy Bien

Brian

.....Ctrl C, right click and "Copy", or edit and "Copy" should all work after highlighting the target (and do for me), but as I noted above, these will all be inhibited if the document creator has nominated copy prevention.

This can be determined by opening the document (in Adobe Reader) selecting File, then Properties from the menu, and under the Security tab, checking the Document Restrictions Summary.

Thanks for that Robinhood..by the way google translate is having trouble with .........Noli me vocate, ego te vocabo ... just got it Latin on google search

laimeduck - 2013-10-18 5:47 PM

Sorry you are wrong you just upload the the PDF file and they translate,.

Why would I bother posting links & info that don't work?

Sorry you are wrong you just upload the the PDF file and they translate,.

Why would I bother posting links & info that don't work?

Sorry, I was commenting on the quote above which said you can't copy & paste from a .pdf file

not your post. So you are not wrong & nor, I think, am I. OK?

Hi thank you for all your comments, just like to say that I have translated documents(pdf) in google translate and using the website PDFescape where you can edit pdf's you cannot just open a pdf and edit it. It is not a simple process of copying and pasting to google translate or www.freetranslation.com

I open the file I want to translate, in PDFescape and also in Adobe Acrobat Pro, copy the paragraphs or sentences I want to translate and paste in google translate, then copy the translated text and paste to PDFescpape, after editing the original PDF by whiting out (Deleting) the area first. Its a lengthy process but it works. Also you can't copy whole pages as it translates wrong. Better for small sentences. German language is weird as they write the opposite way round to english finishing sentences where we would normally start them lol.

I uploaded the file to a company on the web for a free quote and they wanted £980 for 36 pages - Some just drawings with not much text on. I nearly swallowed my laptop lol.

Thanks peeps

Paul

Guest JudgeMental
I had a LHD euramobil from new for nearly 5 years...Why do you you need to translate the whole document...most sections kinda understandable, if not just translate the bits that are of concern....

I think the problem with getting a professional translation is that they will expect to produce something which is near enough perfect. I can translate from Spanish more or less as quickly as I can read but it takes a lot longer to get it from something which just conveys the meaning to something which looks like it was written in English...and that pushes up the cost. Why not try looking for someone who gives German lessons and pay them to sit with you for a couple of hours. That will have the advantage that you will be able to help when they are translating on a topic with which they are not familiar.

Yes well thats what I intended to do, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want it all translated so can print it out and then it will go with the Van if I sell. Not doing bad up to page 10 already and do not need to translate the boiler pages or wiring diagrams as I already have them translated. Thanks for your concern

:-) :-)

Just a thought, have you spoken to a EuroMobil dealer in the UK for an english version of the manual.

I only ask because when I bought my van here in France all the manuals were in French and I contacted Burstner UK and they supplied a PDF version of the manual in english FOC.

Google translate doesn't translate by understanding the structure of language the way a human does , it searches the internet for a phrase with an accompanying translation and picks what it thinks is the best. It might not even go from one language straight to another but use a "pivot" language, which is most commonly English. So it's not surprising that the translation is a bit erratic.

• 2 years later...

Your vehicle will contain exactly the same equipment as other marques. Why not search for online downloads in English for your Fridge, Boiler, Rooflights, Cassette toilet etc., etc.

This should reduce your translating considerably and will also include diagrams etc.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-26 9:34 AM

This thread originated in 2013 and has been resurrected by Charlie Bavister to advertise his company’s translation services

http://in.viadeo.com/en/profile/charlie.bavister

Oops, didn't notice that. :$

His business must be very slack if he has to resort to spamming. I might get in touch though as I have an important document which is written in Klingon. :->

Archived