Black slime in water pipes

Hughmer

Thanks Ray

the website says Active Ingredient - Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate

The WHO website says Sodium dichloroisocyanurate is used as a disinfectant in water. It dissociates in water to form a number of chemical species, notably free chlorine and cyanuric acid.

I'm being cautious due to a number of posts on here about Chlorine attacking s/steel & Alluminium.

Advice sought...

From the NEC show this week I got a pack of 32 tablets called Aqua Clean Tabs from one of the acc stalls. Have not yet used them but it states each tablet purifies 25 litres so I guess time will tell.

Cheap diet coke cleans the grey water a treat so I hope these tablet work as they cost me £6.

It always puzzles me why people think they have to BUY a cure. Never leave water in the system is the answer and make sure the sink and shower water traps are emptied, also open all taps and vents as this allows air to flow through the system.

When not in regular use If the traps are not kept dry and clean no amount of whatever you buy will remove the gunge that can accumulate there and if excessive may even block an outlet.

Hughmer - 2013-10-19 5:37 PM

Thanks Ray

The WHO website says Sodium dichloroisocyanurate is used as a disinfectant in water. It dissociates in water to form a number of chemical species, notably free chlorine and cyanuric acid.

I'm being cautious due to a number of posts on here about Chlorine attacking s/steel & Alluminium.

Advice sought...

I have used Puriclean for several years, I started to use it after ruining an electric kettle and a Carver (truma) water tank by using Milton, I was 'assured' that it was safe ?? and NOT chlorine based.

Pehaps I'll try Aqua-Tabs instead. Ray

Is it black slime/algae in your fresh water or grey water tank?

We had the problem and it turned out that the algae had accumulated in the filling hose leading down to the tank. Replaced pipe with blue food grade pipe from CAK Tanks, not had a problem since. If the chemicals don't solve the problem check the filler pipe, the chemicals can't clean that and an algae coated pipe will carry on dumping algae into the nice clean tank where they can grow again!!

Hughmer - 2013-10-19 5:37 PM

Thanks Ray

Advice sought...

......frankly, I'd use Puriclean to sterilise a relatively clean Truma Combi based system, BUT I'd make sure that the active solution remained in the system for a minimum amount of time, and I'd also make sure everything was thoroughly flushed through afterwards.

If, however, you have a current "infestation" then such minimisation may not be sufficient.

If you want to pursue the cautious path, how about using Truma's own (and fairly recent) Aquastar products:

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-systems/truma-aquastar.php

....whilst not necessarily the cheapest solution (no pun intended), this is Chlorine-free, and specifically recommended by Truma for it's hot-water systems (and can be left in-situ for a good few hours).

I think you only need the Aquastar 2, but you may choose to buy the two-product kit (1+2) and descale as well.

(Another potential solution is to isolate the boiler, and simply clean the pipes with Puriclean, but this may well be less successful)

An alternative, that should be readily available from caravan accessories shops, is Elsan Freshwater Tank Clean, which seems very effective, and is stated not to contain chlorine.

To keep the water fresh while in the tank and prevent algae build up, try Elsan Elsil, which uses a silver iodide product to prevent organic contamination. Will keep fresh water fresh for several weeks and at a dosing rate of 5ml per 50 litres, is reasonably economical in use. We don't, but the treated water is claimed to be drinkable. All ours goes into hot drinks, so is boiled before consumption.

Zydeco Joe - 2013-10-19 5:42 PM

From the NEC show this week I got a pack of 32 tablets called Aqua Clean Tabs from one of the acc stalls. Have not yet used them but it states each tablet purifies 25 litres so I guess time will tell.

Cheap diet coke cleans the grey water a treat so I hope these tablet work as they cost me £6.

The problem I face is not one of purifying water in the tank. Its about water that was in the tank several weeks/months ago. Following BK's informative previous comments about chlorinated water degassing itself and becoming less immune to microbes, I guess the water that sat in our tanks for a week or three on a french site in high summer probably was the culprit.

What I want to do is a rigorous clean of the pipes, Though I note there is another bit of useful info in this thread about the filler pipe being a source of glop, so I need to address that too. The question is how..?

Another alternative is to use "Beer line cleaner & sanitiser"

Custom made for cleaning & sanitising pipes in pubs, simple & quick to use, & millions of people can swear to its effectiveness.

It is also cheap

I have a friendly landlord who supplies me, but this link is an example ( I do not endorse this product - others are available!) http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod207371

Hughmer - 2013-10-20 1:32 AM

Zydeco Joe - 2013-10-19 5:42 PM

The problem I face is not one of purifying water in the tank. Its about water that was in the tank several weeks/months ago. Following BK's informative previous comments about chlorinated water degassing itself and becoming less immune to microbes, I guess the water that sat in our tanks for a week or three on a french site in high summer probably was the culprit.

What I want to do is a rigorous clean of the pipes, Though I note there is another bit of useful info in this thread about the filler pipe being a source of glop, so I need to address that too. The question is how..?

As I said above, the Elsan Fresh Water Tank Clean is chlorine free, and works.

Only had a problem on two ocassions and on thinking back at the time it was after staying on CL sites with a spring water supply and where I had not drained the fresh water tank or used the system for a while after each trip that it had happened.

I cleaned the pipes and now spray diluted milton into the filler cap - but I am now going to try Brians suggestion of Elsan special solution.

Archived