A Warning From The Curious - look beyond the shiney bits!

globebuster

Guest pelmetman
4cls - 2013-10-20 9:40 PM

Oh dear! someone else has decided to look at the underneath of motor/homes to look at the bodges, if only we all did that when buying, makers and dealers might wake up to the fact that their workmanship is under question! Some makers in Britain seem to make nice looking M/H's but are built down to a weight, using balsa and cardboard, my Swift 680 is terrible for that. The cutting out of rot still continues underneath, Vehicle now jacked up with nearside wheel and suspension unit off for access. :-(

Style over substance? ;-)

Seems to me as the base vehicle got heavier then the motorhome builders have had to reduce the weight of their materials ;-)............So you now have the ultimate of a well polished t*rd on a unreliable base.............progress eh? (lol) (lol)

Indeed the Monocoque body is great - providing the chassis and floor are well founded!

Those old Autosleepers still look good and an ageless design really, saw a couple on the way up to the NEC and an old Travelhome - so there are at least two of you!! Always aspired to either one of those when I had the Merlin. Probably the best brit vans of the era along with the ground breaking Kontiki.

When I saw JH, not long before he sadly departed he had a Devon Discovery PVC!

Anyway, great as it is to reminisce, todays offerings seem to have moved no further forward in many respects.

To be fair Dave, components and materials have improved in both weight, strength and construction technique which would balance things out.

In my industry a few quid saved, sometimes to product detriment is not unusual, and I'm talking boats costing millions!

Form certainly takes precedence over function these days - whatever the product, and we as the end-user drive that to some degree.

Still no excuse for not getting the basics right though.

East Neuk Campervans make all their own mouldings, sink, shower etc. No bouncing in the shower tray there!

I narrowed my choice down to two brit PVC manufacturers, in the end I chose an East Neuk Fifer Touring S. Great design, put together to last, BEST customer service I've ever come across, nothing was too much trouble and it has all the "extras" that are really essentials included in the very competitive price. I pick up in April, my choice, can't wait :-D

Archived