Motorhome friendly Apps for Android

Frankkia

Being a recent convert to "Tablets" - I still prefer my laptop for proper 'puting! I have done a fair bit of research to find the best apps to make good use of my tablet and smart 'phone.

Here are 2 which I found which really helpful.

Camper Kontact - Do a Play store search for "motorhome parking" and select the app with the green square and the white motorhome diagram entitled "All Motorhome Parkings". You get a "Free" version with a limited database to try it out (The full version with over 15500 places costs about £4 and is well worth it). This can be used off line once you have downloaded it and contains stop over places all over Europe.

Promobile - This is the app which gives all the Stelplatz info which is published in the German Promobile magazine and their Stelplatz books. There is a version for I phone and as of June this year an Android version is available - for Android do a search on Play Store for "Mobil life" and select the Promobile App. To use this app (unfortunately) you will need a data connection (either via a wifi or 'phone connection).

Both of these apps can be read in their native languages (Dutch / German) or English is available.

I don't know if these have been mentioned before but I couldn't find any reference to the apps after doing a site search.

Have to agree about having a laptop as well, we now take a tablet, an ipad and my netbook with us.

Used Camping contact for the first time this year, needs to be used with care certainly the listings for the UK a lot of the entries are just car parks that you can not overnight in. The offline maps are so slow makes it unusable on an ipad but if you download the POI's to your satnav makes it quite usable. The information on the POI's is a bit limited so you can cross refer it to the program and it becomes useful.

We also have the Promobile POI's, didn't know their was an Android app (wasn;t avalible before we went away) now available found some of their entries out of date, one was parking that now had a height barrier in fairness the road signs had just had the camping car symbol crossed out so could have been a very recent change, again POI's lack info so I will try the app.

Yes these apps combined with POI's are useful and saves carrying heavy books.

This year our main holiday we ended up in a totally different place to where we intended, we were outrunning the bad weather, so when we had a net connection we downloaded some Lonely Planet books.

Guest JudgeMental

there is no "e" in Promobil :-D

I posted info on these apps earlier on...but certainly worth repeating, and certainly better explained above. Some good reading in the online magazine at the moment...lots of new camper reviews. long term Cathargo test may be of interest to some members who I know are considering this manafacturer

some good stuff on handling, lack of rear vision etc... with the narrower A/CB class campers...they test scientifically, adding weights, using lasers and even a 75kg dummy passengers!lol could have saved the money and borrowed some of ours :D

No Lenny it was my mistake.

As a German speaker I should have known better but managed to Anglicise it in my befuddled state at 1:30 am.

I agree Promobil is a good read and I buy the mag for the great reviews (they go in to everything) whilst we are in Germany.

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2013-10-20 6:46 PM

No Lenny it was my mistake.

As a German speaker I should have known better but managed to Anglicise it in my befuddled state at 1:30 am.

I agree Promobil is a good read and I buy the mag for the great reviews (they go in to everything) whilst we are in Germany.

the detail with which they review a van is astonishing and eye opening... your post made me look and some great reading in there at the moment (via auto translation) anyone considering a new euro van would be advised to have a good look through it.....I also always get the mag when i see it in newsagents

Archived