C&CC pitch fee increases for 2014

bobalobs

Have just studied the new prices for 2014 and began to doubt my maths but I am afraid it is correct.

For 2 people in June age concession no electricity the price on a category 2 no facility site ( Slindon) has increased by at least 76% , at a holiday site ( Veryan ) by 50% and at a category 6 site (Devizes) by 25%+.

How can such increases be in anyway justitied with the CPI and RPI hovering around 3%?

Do your own research and if you are a member and feel like i do then make your feelings clear to the club even if you plan not to renew your membership. The Club was for all but it is clear that is rapidly not the case.

Do not quite see this range of increases from the tarriff guide, but nonetheless, find the rationale a bit disingenuious when you look at the banding and grading of sites. It would seem that there will be a set price category for a site which will then place it in a flexible price banding ie from - to which will be determined on the demand placed on that site at the time of booking. No longer one fixed price based on time of year.

I have been with the Club for a long time and have sensed a growing commercialization/business ethos developing, not the members club being run for its members, that I knew and loved this may be the way it has to go - who knows. I suppose if I dont like what I see this coming year I will have to vote with my feet !

The prices I worked on are in the Price guidance leaflet November 2013 enclosed in the " your place in the country 2014" book received with this months Club magazine. I compared them with the prices in the " your Big sites book 2014"

For example Slindon 2people age concession late June 2013= £5.60. In 2014 same period now called shoulderit is£13.40 to £15.40 less%25 age concession reducing it to £10.05 to £11.55.

The new shoulder tariff is the summer other than school holidays.

I hope I have misunderstood the increases but from the postings on the Clubs own site I think not. Slindon is cheap but has little spent on it and many go there on limited budgets or to avoid the " Super Sites" management seems to think we all want or should be persuaded to have.

My other example was Devizes at the other end of the spectrum. With a 2013 figure of £12.50 a 25% increase brings it to £15.60 to £17.92 per night..

I am afraid it smells to me that we need more cash so let's add a Fiver a night as the punter will pay it or go elsewhere.

bolero boy - 2013-10-20 6:18 PMI don't know if this exists currently, but the 2014 price banding covers four different 'seasons'......low, mid, shoulder, high. What is a shoulder season? Is it new?

Yes...shoulder season is a new one.  It looks like it's been introduced to hike the previous 'mid season' prices at times when demand is neither mid or high season.  Yet another money grab.  Calling it a Club is a joke.......it's all for profit by the looks of the new pricing structure.

I've been in the C&CC club for many years and as far as I'm concerned its a business. Its getting bigger every year and one of its main objects is raising as much cash as it can. It does howver offer good club sites but you have to pay for them.

I've written to them and spoken to them about when club members cannot get onto a site half filled with none members especially in the school holidays. The comment back is always the same " they get lots of new members by letting in newcomers" i.e a member now and paid your fees for years? Hard luck. They want the money.................

Its a business. You either accept it or leave. I'm only in it because I have arrival with the RAC as my motorhome is over 6 metres. I stay well away from club sites in high season due to the high costs.

As I will not get to see the books until I return home I am reserving my judgment but will probably not renew. As I camp alone, I was hoping to join my New Companions Club for the New Year. I tentatively went through the booking system and was quoted £150+ but fortunately noticed it had assumed 2 adults. When I changed it the total was still over £90 - last time I went with them it was £49! So, unfortunately I will not be going as I could not afford those prices and, despite some forum members being obviously better off than me, would think it expensive for that time of year. Last time I went you were not allowed to go to certain areas of the site because of ice and it was freezing! There are similar price hikes with the CC. Not very long ago I paid £8-ish at Black Horse, this year £12+ for just a few hours. The allocated pitch was in total darkness and I had to reverse on - not easy on my own.

As I have not used any club sites this year (except for that one night) I will probably pull out of both clubs. CLs etc. often work out dearer than the main club sites for one person. With the CC&C changes I dislike not knowing the exact price, nor the deposit regulation, never mind losing it if cancelled less than 30 days before. I have never not shown to a booked site and object to being penalised for others. None-showers should be thrown out of the club - full stop. How they can still advertise as the friendly club is laughable.

Sorry. Rant over!

Going to Salisbury for 3 nights from Friday night. Cost for me and wife on a grass pitch (no hard standings there ) £57 with me as an age concession( wife will sneak into this category just before the deadline).

I was £6.70 and she was £9.05 (I think) so quite a difference.

Also, electric is £3.75 a day ......now I am happy to be off EHU but wife prefers leccy during the winter time so we pay but more than £10 for a long weekend is taking the pi.......

Similarly, wifi charges are a joke. Most people get their BB at home for £10 a month or considerably less with a calls package (ours is £5). After the initial set up f a few poles, aerials and a router to two they are raking it in. If your tablet has 3G you are far better having a 30 day contract (ours is with O2 for a tenner a month for a Gig of data that rolls on if unused) that you can cancel and restart at anytime, this allows multiple devices to run and you can use it on any site.

I'm also of the view that both 'Clubs' are really turning the screw to squeeze income from members. The annual fee increase is kept low but all the extras, pitch, person price, leccy, wifi, etc, are increasing rapidly.

We only stay in them as we use CL CS when in the UK, which is decreasing.

We are at Salisbury until Friday when the fees increase for half term. Nothing like encouraging the next generation of camper.

Next year for the same period it will be up to £9.75 per person per night or £7.31 for age concession.

Heard rumour that they were going to offer wifi free as a softener for the pitch fee increase but I see no sign of it . Even if they do many will not want it so why should they pay for it indirectly. It is like compulsory electric hookups in the middle of summer!

What they should have done was increase the prices for non members and kept the prices for members the same thus encouraging new members to join. New members = more revenue.

It reads to me in the magazine that if you are registered for age concession you will keep this entitlement which is lucky for us.

We would never consider using a club site in high season 'why would you' , when there are some fantastic temporary holiday sites available at a fraction of club site prices.

As for these organisations being a club forget it they are out to screw every last penny out of its members. And as for austerity its only for a certain group of the population and it just so happens that its us!

Hazy Baby - 2013-10-21 1:45 PMJust had an e-mail from the C&CC to say that if I camp with them over Christmas I get a complimentary glass of mulled wine and a mince pie! Tempting?.............perhaps not!!!! What planet are these people on?!

A bit like the people who made an offer on our for sale property you can leave your motorhome on the standing for the time being if you accept our offer " £10,000.00 " to park a motorhome for a couple of months ha ha ha ha " Not "

Hazy Baby - 2013-10-21 1:45 PM

Just had an e-mail from the C&CC to say that if I camp with them over Christmas I get a complimentary glass of mulled wine and a mince pie! Tempting?.............perhaps not!!!! What planet are these people on?!

The same planet as my phone company who say that if I keep topping up my phone with £10 - I will get some FREE texts.

:-D

We've cancelled - although sadly have only renewed in August.

We join the clubs mainly for CLs/CSs, but having looked back over 6 years the no of CSs we've used are so few (CC CLs seem more numerous where we go) that we'd have saved a lot by just paying the non-member fee on the few occasions we've used the C&CC club sites.

I think it's the 30 day cancellation change that really bothers us more - even though we've never cancelled a C&CC booking.

Have just read in the Daily Mail that B&Q are to start charging different prices according to what time of day you shop /what "sort" of customer you are etc when you buy your Dulux and bags of screws etc! Please tell me it's April 1st?!!!!! C&CC, B&Q, Easy Jet..........soon I'll have to start timing my weekly Asda trip!

Just back from an offsite lunch meeting of fourteen regular users of C&CC sites. All independently have studied the new fee structure and are extremely angry and some have already contacted the club expressing their disgust.

Interestingly their membership details have been asked for and given. The clubs reasoning is they had a bad year in 2012 but still had the same or increased outgoings so they had to raise more money. The pub trade used the same argument when increasing their prices and look how many pubs have closed or are struggling as people stopped going out as much.

Their pricing policy is said to be clearer but no one agreed with this flannel.It was felt that the spontaneity of camping will go as anyone turning up without booking will almost certainly be charged the top rate in the "from and to" fee structure now being imposed. though the top figure is a maximum the club has reserved the right to vary the "from" figure downwards if circumstances warrant..Most of us are apathetic or "too busy" but if the membership significantly reduces their visits to club sites and makes more use of certificated or holiday sites then those who purport to run the club for the benefit of all might reconsider their pricing policies.

And in the optimistic hope that the club is watching the various threads on a number of forums my membership number is 933307!

As we now spend most of our time abroad and the ferry deals etc are easily matched online we too have discontinued our membership after over 20 years of continuous paying for which we have seen precious little value for money in the subscription, unless you count the monthly magazine - which we hardly ever looked at!!

Interesting to see that C C sent a survey out today via email ,to those signed up to receive ,Lot of question regarding customer satisfaction of CC and Also what was thought about C C C as well. One section asked to give views on CC and I put if they were thinking of changing there pricing policy ,I for one would not renew.

Just returned from a break in the Lake District. Stayed on a franchised site and have been told by the franchisee that they have opted out of the variable pricing because in his words 'the club has forgotten about the customer' . Lets hope they all opt out, but how will we know, the site concerned is shown in the book as a grade 6 with low and high prices shown.

kuta ri ri - 2013-10-22 7:31 PM

We recently had 4 nights,@ Haven Devon Cliffs, EHU Premier H/Standing all facilitys Bar, Restaurant entertainment etc etc BUS at gate, £43

The Deals are there if you look for them.

Have booked a 7 night stay at Haven at Porthmadog in mid May. Hard stand with own EHU water connection and waste water disposal. Works out at £9.50 night for up to 6 people. Indoor heated pool large bar and restaurant, evening entertainment ( if wanted) in lovely landscaped gardens, direct access to sand beach, also with bus service to town 2 miles away. CCC you must be joking with your idea of value for money.

chas - 2013-10-29 3:04 PM

kuta ri ri - 2013-10-22 7:31 PM

We recently had 4 nights,@ Haven Devon Cliffs, EHU Premier H/Standing all facilitys Bar, Restaurant entertainment etc etc BUS at gate, £43

The Deals are there if you look for them.

Have booked a 7 night stay at Haven at Porthmadog in mid May. Hard stand with own EHU water connection and waste water disposal. Works out at £9.50 night for up to 6 people. Indoor heated pool large bar and restaurant, evening entertainment ( if wanted) in lovely landscaped gardens, direct access to sand beach, also with bus service to town 2 miles away. CCC you must be joking with your idea of value for money.

We have been Haven Freedom Trailers for a while now a, over the past few years, they have set up, in essence, small touring sites usually with good pitch facilities and, for those that want them, premium items like swimming pools.

Although we aren't really into the 'Haven thing' we do take advantage of their amazing touring offers, especially out of the main season.

They are in partnership with the CC for these sites and a CC membership will get you a further 7.5% off your bill, in addition to the already low prices and the Freedom trail discounts.

We use them for their locations, usually easy to cycle or stroll into resorts, and of course their prices.

Yes, the C&CC should be worried as here is a real alternative to the 'Club' site, complete with a great location, at a fraction of the CCC price.

Archived