Is it called a scuttle??

Pampam

My van is a fiat ducato 2010 could anyone tell me if the black plastic trough under the windscreen is called the scuttle? And should it retain water? And because it does is it a problem ?could be lmy last question for a while as am losing my Internet on Wednesday thanks to all previous questions answered you've ALL been very entertaining .thankyou PP

I would say this is the scuttle and the have a reputation for being a bit suspect.

On our 2010 Ducato, the drain hole on the offside (near the wiper pivot) can get blocked up easily stopping he water draining away. Leaves, bits of road crud, and anything else can get stuck there.

A good tool for clearing the hole (and pipe below) is a length of curtain wire or something flexible, just push and poke about gently to try and clear any debris.

To test if you've cleared it, just pour water down the hole and it should come out just behind the offside front wheel.

Yes, thats the scuttle.. I am amazed its retaining water and not guiding it into the engine bay and pooling around the injectors!!

in general they don't seal against the windscreen correctly, they also let water in via the ridge running around the windscreen and then behind the scuttle.. They also let water in through the middle scuttle joint, they leak around the small drain hole on the passenger side, they can pooling water due to the 'v' shape and the large lip on the middle joint stops the water flowing naturally to the drain hole on the drivers side...etc..etc..etc.

I have had long conversations with Fiats parts dept about the scuttle issues and the design of the engine cover and the rest! They have shared some ideas and improvements that they use on other models, i am looking into them one by one. I will let you know if any of them actually work!

I have temporarily sealed certain areas to reduce the water ingress... for example, between the windscreen and the scuttle, also sealed the centre joint, sealed around the small drain hole etc.. All of this is temporary until i figure out a better way before receiving the new scuttle and associated parts.

They told me the Fiat punto has/had a similar issue and is modded via the dealers with an additional drain hole about the size of the one on the drivers side of the ducato... but sadly this doesn't fit into the passenger side of the ducato scuttle.. Just out of curiosity this weekend I went to look at the latest ducato and guess what... still the same!!

My 2012 model had a 'blue plastic filter' mounted into the drain hole, this used to block even quicker than just the hole, without a filter, after several experiments, I found that if I turned the filter upside down and had it protruding up about an inch, to the end of the mesh, it never blocked. It was acting like one of those 'covers' that you put into a Roof Gutter Downpipe, to stop leaves blocking up the gutter.

The small pipes at either end still get blocked of course, a flexible net curtain wire pushed down, seems to unblock them ok, but only for a few days. I sealed the middle scuttle joint with waterproof 'gutter sealant'. Now it doesn't overflow into the engine area. But it's still a rubbish design. Ray

Don't delay in sealing off the windscreen and scuttle with windscreen sealant and also spread it thick on the middle scuttle join.. Also get an inch sized T shaped hose connector or make one yourself out of plastic ie something with a lip to sit flush with the scuttle base connecting to a hose on the passenger side. Spray your windscreen with lots of water and check for penetration into the engine compartment and seal entry points asap. I have had to fork out for a rebuilt after water in the air intake housing went into the motor, Save your cash and potential problems and diligently seal off all water ingress into the engine compartment.

• 1 month later...
Rubbish design is an understatement.I had the same problems with an 07 fiat 130bhp.I purchased a new Bessacarr With the new 150bhp in June of this year,just the same.Incidentally Elldis fit a black adhesive tape about 3 inches wide which adheres to the windcreen and partially over the scuttle which does prevent water going behind the scuttle but the rest of the scuttles drain and middle joint need some serious attention.If you don,t have a rocker cover over the injectors they will seize up this happened to mine.Because the vehicle stands idle for maybe weeks or months at a time it does,nt dry out .Newer models have a cover fitted.I have even more serious problems I can never go to my motorhome and find that it will start.Turns over no problem but just wont start only used the bleedin thing twice and had the RAC out to it 3 times .Nothing found but then it will just start for no reason.First time it would,nt start stuck in Oban for 4 days 3 mechanics could,nt crack it.Took it on a low loader to Glasgow and the boody thing started before they took it off the low loader!!!Fiat must be selling these cabs to motorhome manufacturers for peanuts as no bugger else buys them .When did you last see a Fiat van being used as a delivery vehicle or builders van >:-(

The little drain holes at the base of the wipers are difficult to find let alone keep clear for any period of time. I agree poking a piece of wire down two or three times a year is the answer.

In the winter months when the van does not go out as much we use a bonnet cover from Taylormade which works well fitting across the screen above the bonnet and then covers the whole bonnet.Keeps out water leaves etc. Does not take long to fit once used to it.

Hello yes spopse back on line after much trouble from bt .van now in storage for a few weeks :as working all day every day (Xmas) did put my silver screen over windscreen and taped a car sunshade to bottom of it to cover scuttle but wind blew it off never to be seen again. It still fills with water but will be sorting in new year when I will have a day off and actually see some daylight :I wish I had bought a longer silver screen when I bought the one that I have : also have heard you can get a cover fitted over engine so will ask fiat dealers about it in new year : pp merry christmas

Don't know if this will translate to SEVEL scuttles, but it worked well on our Transit scuttle, which also dosed the engine with water - mainly due to drain outlets blocked by leaves (I also had to seal the scuttle joints etc much as above).

I got a piece of (presumed) nylon mesh (of the type used for ventilation panels in tents) from a local camping store. The width was adequate to go across the bonnet from side to side. I cut a strip that bridged from the base of the windscreen, covering the wipers, on to the rear edge of the bonnet, extended to also cover the heater air intake in the bonnet. This was held in place by velcro tapes at each end that looped down and around the extended side repeater lights. When tensioned, it fitted snug to the windscreen and bonnet, and effectively prevented any leaves etc getting into the scuttle. Bits of pollen could still get down the edges of the screen where the side trims stood proud of the glass, but that was about all.

Obviously water still passed through but I thought it important to maintain ventilation. When I fixed the external screen cover in place over winter it simply went over the top of the mesh.

bobhodgkinson - 2013-12-16 12:06 PMRubbish design is an understatement.I had the same problems with an 07 fiat 130bhp.I purchased a new Bessacarr With the new 150bhp in June of this year,just the same.Incidentally Elldis fit a black adhesive tape about 3 inches wide which adheres to the windcreen and partially over the scuttle which does prevent water going behind the scuttle but the rest of the scuttles drain and middle joint need some serious attention.If you don,t have a rocker cover over the injectors they will seize up this happened to mine.Because the vehicle stands idle for maybe weeks or months at a time it does,nt dry out .Newer models have a cover fitted.I have even more serious problems I can never go to my motorhome and find that it will start.Turns over no problem but just wont start only used the bleedin thing twice and had the RAC out to it 3 times .Nothing found but then it will just start for no reason.First time it would,nt start stuck in Oban for 4 days 3 mechanics could,nt crack it.Took it on a low loader to Glasgow and the boody thing started before they took it off the low loader!!!Fiat must be selling these cabs to motorhome manufacturers for peanuts as no bugger else buys them .When did you last see a Fiat van being used as a delivery vehicle or builders van >:-(

have a look in the forum search at Fiat gearbox earth leads it appears there have been problems with this earth strap on some Fiats,  at least you can eliminate one suspect piece. 

If similar to the Transit it won't be the actual scuttle but a plastic cover over the scuttle. The scuttle itself is metal.

The plastic covers are simply useless add on trim tat to 'pretty' them up which serves no other purpose than to trap all the rubbish which gathers and stays hidden behind it. The first any owner will know of something being seriously wrong is when they come to have their screen replaced, only to see half the rotted scuttle plate come away with the screen. It's quite a big job to get a section of new metal welded back in.

The problem can be solved by removing the plastic trim cover to expose the scuttle plate. Clean it thoroughly then allow to dry off. Spray a liberal coating of Waxoyl or similar all over it and then replace the plastic.

You won't have any problems after that.

The Taylormade and similar coveres don't appear to be water tight so we use a cheap blue plastic tarpaulin from screwfix underneath the cover, tucked up high under the overcab, down over the scuttle and trapped in the doors each side.

After all this rain over the last week or so I popped down to the van yesterday and it seems to have worked a treat.

• 6 months later...

Archived