1st time with dogs ?

casey

Hi all,

We are " thinking " of going to southern spain with 2 x recently aquired dogs,

one younger one which requires a lot of exercise. Swmbo likes benidorm

but anywhere from Benicassim southwards including portugal would be ok

so long as we can exercise the dog.( I know Bonterra park is not too dog freindly)

The trip would probably be next spring or winter.

Any advice etc will be realy helpfull.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 9:09 PM

Put them in kennels, they will thank you for it. ;-)

Troy wouldn't ;-)..................he only has to see us packing Horace and he can't get in there quick enough :D................and the winter sun does as much for his arthritis as ours B-)...

BTW If the OP is going in winter...... camping Kiko is right on the beach, and they don't seem to ban dogs as they do on many Spanish beaches ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I always feel I'm missing out on something when I see you doggy folks out in the drizzle first thing and last thing waiting for them to do their do do,s and the delightful steamers some of you pick up.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 9:33 PM

I always feel I'm missing out on something when I see you doggy folks out in the drizzle first thing and last thing waiting for them to do their do do,s and the delightful steamers some of you pick up.

Nothing like a nice winter hand warmer on a cold day >:-)

Message from my dogs:

Oh no we bl**dy wouldn't! How would you like to be stuck in a cold smelly 'cage' for hours on end, in noisy and unfamiliar surroundings, no home comforts, no slobbing around on the couch or beds, no cuddles or treats, no raiding the toy box and spreading the contents all over the place, no chasing cats, no having mad dashes round fields or lolloping around on lovely beaches, not meeting new people and seeing lots of new things ... not to mention missing 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' ... 8-)

If you think that kennels are so great why don't you go and stay there for 2 or 3 weeks and then tell us how much you preferred it to going on holiday in your MH! We'd much rather go with the rest of our family in our camper and have a lovely time thank you.

Romy, Lily and Tazzy

Totally Agree Mel, Folk who don't love Dogs will NEVER understand us though, my advice for what it's worth, Take them everywhere, I just walk into Pubs, with the dogs, and ask for meals and drinks, if they say 'No Dogs, then I take my custom elsewhere, (the Dogs eat at home ! not in the Pub, and they don't drink alcohol,not when I'm watching anyway ). Have found lots and lots of Dog friendly Pubs this way. They ARE part of the family. That Includes Holidays especially. Ray,Linda + Wendy and Lucy

Most of you know which side of this 'divide' I'm on, I can't stand the horrible brutes!

But, that is irrelevant -- none of you have properly answered the O.P's question!

Surely, I have read on here, from some of you dog lovers/owners, that Spain is not a very 'dog-friendly' place, i.e. dogs are not allowed on many beaches, can't be taken on buses/into many public places, etc. etc.

Casey does not tell us what breed(s) these 'newly-acquired mutts are -- some breeds (see a previous post r.e. 'staffies') are banned, I believe.

Come on, folks, don't get diverted, answer the question -- this forum is (usually) good about providing sensible advice from: 'those who know' ;-)

Cheers,

Colin.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-10-23 11:19 PM

Message from my dogs:

Oh no we bl**dy wouldn't! How would you like to be stuck in a cold smelly 'cage' for hours on end, in noisy and unfamiliar surroundings, no home comforts, no slobbing around on the couch or beds, no cuddles or treats, no raiding the toy box and spreading the contents all over the place, no chasing cats, no having mad dashes round fields or lolloping around on lovely beaches, not meeting new people and seeing lots of new things ... not to mention missing 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' ... 8-)

If you think that kennels are so great why don't you go and stay there for 2 or 3 weeks and then tell us how much you preferred it to going on holiday in your MH! We'd much rather go with the rest of our family in our camper and have a lovely time thank you.

Romy, Lily and Tazzy

I think to step into your ridiculous world for one minute, your dogs would say you are like so many other humans completely nuts, toys indeed, they are bloody animals, pigs are more intelligent why not get a few of those as well to share you living space. Oh but wait your not an animal lover, your a dog lover, why else would you take delight in them chasing and no doubt terrifying cats, someone else's preferred pet, which illustrates your selfishness and scant regard for others, a common trait with you lot.

Mummy and Daddy indeed, what a laugh.

:D :D :D

As for Spain, thank God that they as well as many other places are at last recognising the health implications of dog s**t liberally scattered around, and a big hurrah for our county Gwynedd in bringing in new dog control orders as well.

I do not hate dogs but I do detest irresponsible owners and their blinkered outlook. I am in Benidorm at the moment and as far as I understand all sites, except Villasol, accept dogs. Benidorm beach is its pride and joy and is cleaned nightly. Never seen a dog on the beach so would put this area well out of consideration for excersising pooch.

Luckily one dog owner has now left the site we are on. 8am every morning yappy dog put out to waken everybody up and again throughout the day. If your dogs are yappy then go wild camping in the remotes.

France has a totally relaxed attitude on dogs in that they can deficate anyplace and it is left lying. During the high holiday periods some beaches are banned to dogs but typical French just ignore. Saw one owner brush the sand over the poo just to leave a present for the children that played on the beach, irresponsible and disgusting.

As a new member to this forum, I am disappointed that a question about travelling with dogs seems to have degenerated into the start of a slagging match regarding pet ownership! Generally, forum rules dictate that respondents stick to the subject content, with "amusing" deviations, but sticking to subject.

For me, we are buying our first motorhome so that we can take our little rescue dog with us when we go for a long period. For shorter times he stays with friends. He had an appalling start to life, until we rescued him, and we could no longer put him in kennels, than not go on holiday. So stupid that it may sound, but we are buying our MH for the dog!

Back on topic, take your dogs with you. There are many posts that tell of travel with cages, harnesses, and roaming free. Before you leave, check the country's law regarding dogs in cars / motorhomes, and in the case of Spain, they "should" for their safety, and the safety of their owners,be in a harness, and should you be stopped, then there will be no problem with the Police. That said, a lot of animals are not secured, ours in in a harness, with no problem.

Enjoy your trip to Spain, at the moment the weather here is beautiful!

Good old one foot,I usually laugh my head off at your comments,but today I agree with you,Benidorm,La Terretta has over the last 3years become overrun with dogs,last year people allowed dogs on a lead to crap on my pitch whilst I sat their eating my breakfast,Sorrreee is not good enough! We not going there this year.Another hate I have is halfway through a meal in a nice pub in comes wet smelly dog,breathes over my food,lays down under table next to me,farts foul smells.Sorrreee again,soon won't be any human only pubs left. I don't HATE dogs,owned several in my time,my kids own them,but these days lots of owners seem to think there dogs have more rights than kids! It's getting worse than smokers! So in my opinion the sooner dogs are subjected to the same rules as smokers the better,! Please think of us no doggers as no smokers.Dave

Well said, 'FBP' -- I had forgotten the 'dogs loose in motorhome' issue -- of course they should be tethered/caged properly when travelling,otherwise they become a dangerous 'missile' in a crash -- what a horrible consequence, for both dog and owner! And, as you say, I believe that some countries have ( very sensible) laws/rules/regulations concerning this matter. the problem is, although all dog-owning posters on this forum profess 'responsible' ownership, in real life, I've never met one( a responsible owner that is) yet! Our motorhoming has only been in the U.K. & ireland so far, but we choose 'dog-free' sites when we can, for the peace of mind that that gives us.

'Each to his own' as they say, BUT -- keep away from me if you have a dog! >:-)

Cheers,

Colin.

peacock312 - 2013-10-24 10:02 AM

Good old one foot,I usually laugh my head off at your comments,but today I agree with you,Benidorm,La Terretta has over the last 3years become overrun with dogs,last year people allowed dogs on a lead to crap on my pitch whilst I sat their eating my breakfast,Sorrreee is not good enough! We not going there this year.Another hate I have is halfway through a meal in a nice pub in comes wet smelly dog,breathes over my food,lays down under table next to me,farts foul smells.Sorrreee again,soon won't be any human only pubs left. I don't HATE dogs,owned several in my time,my kids own them,but these days lots of owners seem to think there dogs have more rights than kids! It's getting worse than smokers! So in my opinion the sooner dogs are subjected to the same rules as smokers the better,! Please think of us no doggers as no smokers.Dave

What a good post Dave, couldn't agree more!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. I, too, have been subject to the same sort of irresponsible dog-keeping that you describe.........and then some!

P.P.S. -- "Some owners treat dogs like kids" -- yes, Dave, see Mel B's diatribes on her dogs -- child substitutes, that's just what they are!

C.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2013-10-23 11:19 PM

Message from my dogs:

Romy, Lily and Tazzy

that 1 foot dont "get it"not surprising.......He gets very little!lol

lots of dog owners down here from the UK and eleswhere.....and the Spanish seem to have many dogs. Unlike the filthy french, with disgusting dog sh*t everywhere.... Dog fowling is heavily policed with draconian fines. fowl on this camspsite and your immediately thrown off, and you cant take them on buses...

what is a bit annoying and probably painful for the dogs, is the police/ambulance sirens send every dog within hearing distance into a frenzy of howling..it is most odd and no fun at 4 in the morning :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest although I do not "get it " when it comes to dogs, if they or their owners do not impact on me I would have no axe to grind, but can anyone of them explain to me why they think it's OK to inflict their din and mess on others, perhaps I can park by you and blast my rock music out without complaint, and why on earth should I object to scraping dog crap off my shoes.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 10:20 AM

To be honest although I do not "get it " when it comes to dogs, if they or their owners do not impact on me I would have no axe to grind, but can anyone of them explain to me why they think it's OK to inflict their din and mess on others.

Precisely!

Colin.

peacock312 - 2013-10-24 10:02 AM

Good old one foot,I usually laugh my head off at your comments,but today I agree with you,Benidorm,La Terretta has over the last 3years become overrun with dogs,last year people allowed dogs on a lead to crap on my pitch whilst I sat their eating my breakfast,Sorrreee is not good enough! We not going there this year.Another hate I have is halfway through a meal in a nice pub in comes wet smelly dog,breathes over my food,lays down under table next to me,farts foul smells.Sorrreee again,soon won't be any human only pubs left. I don't HATE dogs,owned several in my time,my kids own them,but these days lots of owners seem to think there dogs have more rights than kids! It's getting worse than smokers! So in my opinion the sooner dogs are subjected to the same rules as smokers the better,! Please think of us no doggers as no smokers.Dave[/Q

Must have changed. On La Torreta at the moment and absolutely no dogs on the loose, in fact I am only aware of three dogs all with responsible owners who contain them.

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2013-10-24 8:59 AM

Most of you know which side of this 'divide' I'm on, I can't stand the horrible brutes!

But, that is irrelevant -- none of you have properly answered the O.P's question!

Surely, I have read on here, from some of you dog lovers/owners, that Spain is not a very 'dog-friendly' place, i.e. dogs are not allowed on many beaches, can't be taken on buses/into many public places, etc. etc.

Casey does not tell us what breed(s) these 'newly-acquired mutts are -- some breeds (see a previous post r.e. 'staffies') are banned, I believe.

Come on, folks, don't get diverted, answer the question -- this forum is (usually) good about providing sensible advice from: 'those who know' ;-)

Cheers,

Colin.

Well I did mention Kiko Park ;-)..................but as you say Colin on some sites certain dog breeds are not allowed and many will only accept 2, so best to confirm with your intended campsite before booking........also as mentioned many of the beaches ban dogs......although it appears that many of the Spanish can't read their own signs (lol).....Eating out, most restaurants will allow dogs in the outside area ;-)..........and beware the Processional caterpillars usually found in pine trees, as just a single hair can kill your pooch 8-)

pelmetman - 2013-10-24 10:36 AM

..........and beware the Processional caterpillars usually found in pine trees, as just a single hair can kill your pooch 8-)

Thanks for that Dave -- that was just the kind of informed 'insider' advice that I was hoping some of you would provide Casey with.

Cheers,

Colin.

Archived