1st time with dogs ?

casey

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyboyprowler - 2013-10-24 9:55 AM

We are buying our first motorhome so that we can take our little rescue dog with us when we go for a long period. We are buying our MH for the dog!

And that's just my gripe! When we first started motorhoming, we just could not believe the amount of the dreadful beasts that emerged from motorhomes -- somtimes multiples of the slavering, noisy, filthy, hairy monsters!

When I put the question:"why is this?" on this forum, I was told the above -- people actually buy motorhomes ( and caravans) so that they can take their nasty canines on holiday with them -- unbelievable! Apparently, the Caravan Club were going to exclude dogs from their sites, many years ago, until they realised that many dog-owners took their animals to dog shows, staying on sites, rather than in hotels or B&B's, which generally, did not welcome the beasts on their premises. Now, of course, almost every C&C site has a 'dog-walking' area -- which few owners use, preferring that their charges crap outside my 'van!

As for 'rescue' dogs -- I say, along with 'Onefoot' -- shoot the lot of them! Painless destruction of all unwanted dogs is the only way -- when will our benighted legislators realise that?

Colin.

Guest 1footinthegrave
And all the while children languish in care homes, lets get our priorities right for God's sake, no.........I thought not.

Guest JudgeMental
last sunday while walking down to get sunday paper, a dutch guy from this campsite was walking in front with his two black spaniels. he had a kiddy's old fashioned long handled beach spade in his hand... dog did the businesses and he collected the excrement and flipped it over the wall into the primary school playground! I kid you not! If I see it again I'm calling police as I have his pitch number

JudgeMental - 2013-10-24 11:18 AM

last sunday while walking down to get sunday paper, a dutch guy from this campsite was walking in front with his two black spaniels. he had a kiddy's old fashioned long handled beach spade in his hand... dog did the businesses and he collected the excrement and flipped it over the wall into the primary school playground! I kid you not! If I see it again I'm calling police as I have his pitch number

Good on you Eddie!

Colin

Symbol Owner - 2013-10-24 11:01 AM

When we first started motorhoming, we just could not believe the amount of the dreadful beasts that emerged from motorhomes -- somtimes multiples of the slavering, noisy, filthy, hairy monsters!

Colin.

I bet I hold the record in that respect. Parked up one night up at a ski station type parking in Alsace - all quiet and peaceful.

2 vans pull in together and park alongside us. Both men get out of their respective vans and start pulling mesh panels out of their garages. They proceed to build a compound around each van, along the side skirts and out around the awning area.

Once built the hounds were released.

13 emerged from each van, 26 in total!

I bet it smelt a treat in those vans...

Guest 1footinthegrave
They were probably huskies, useful in a breakdown situation.........................and I think you'll find the average dog lover is both devoid of a sense of smell, and is selectively deaf. ;-)

Steve928 - 2013-10-24 11:48 AM

Symbol Owner - 2013-10-24 11:01 AM

When we first started motorhoming, we just could not believe the amount of the dreadful beasts that emerged from motorhomes -- somtimes multiples of the slavering, noisy, filthy, hairy monsters!

Colin.

I bet I hold the record in that respect. Parked up one night up at a ski station type parking in Alsace - all quiet and peaceful.

2 vans pull in together and park alongside us. Both men get out of their respective vans and start pulling mesh panels out of their garages. They proceed to build a compound around each van, along the side skirts and out around the awning area.

Once built the hounds were released.

13 emerged from each van, 26 in total!

I bet it smelt a treat in those vans...

Good God Steve! How dreadful! How bloody dangerous is that? They surely can't have tethered them all whilst travelling, can they?

Casey, you might find it instructive to read this thread:- http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/banned-dogs/32824/

The usual mixture of those for and against, but some useful advice for you as well.

Cheers,

Colin.

Casey..

Someone asked a "Motorhoming with dogs" type of question a while beack, although I'm unsure if that was the key question, so not sure if a "search" would be of use...

...but in it,the likes of travel crates and harnesses were being recommended..

e.g..

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/dog-soft-crate-8842-0.html

http://www.regalpaws.co.uk/travel-safety/harnesses

Although I do recall that, strangely, this "advice" tended to come from us non-dog owners!? :-S

...as most of the dog owners seemed more concerned with posting photos of their poochie-woochies,on various beaches,proms or sprawled in their MH etc.. *-)

that and telling us all about how much their little darlings just luuuve travelling in their MH.. (lol)

Symbol Owner - 2013-10-24 1:34 PM

I think, Pepe, that the answer is found in my link,. posted above.

Colin.

Oh yeah!..I hadn't really bothered reading the "banned dog" thread(..just skimming through it and you've got ask , just why the hell would someone want to own a breed of dog that, if it did turn on you(and any breed could),you wouldn't have a chance in hell of fighting it off!?? 8-) )...

I'm not sure but I think the thread that I'm thinking of was from someone who was about to pick up their first van(possibly an Adria?)and the dog question, was just something that came up during the thread....

Hi all,

thanks for all your input, looks like i set the cat among the pigeons with this

sorry bout that.

just a little background info so you know where i`m coming from ( apart from

newcastle ). We are certainly dog lovers, had a few during our 40 odd years together

last one died app 6 years ago then we bought our motorhome. Decided not to have any

more dogs so no worries re travelling, but last year we got 2 dogs for our son from

the shelter one over 12 yrs the other app 3 years, both small dogs, older one on death

row at the shelter. We however have now ended up looking after them and just thought

about the possibility of travelling with them hence the post.

I can see arguments on both sides and appreciate all your comments, i don`t realy want

to take them abroad to be honest but we will just have to wait and see.

thanks everyone

casey.

Guest pelmetman
casey - 2013-10-24 7:50 PM

Hi all,

sorry bout that.

newcastle ). We are certainly dog lovers, had a few during our 40 odd years together

last one died app 6 years ago then we bought our motorhome. Decided not to have any

more dogs so no worries re travelling, but last year we got 2 dogs for our son from

the shelter one over 12 yrs the other app 3 years, both small dogs, older one on death

row at the shelter. We however have now ended up looking after them and just thought

I can see arguments on both sides and appreciate all your comments, i don`t realy want

thanks everyone

casey.

Don't let the dog haters put you off Casey ;-) ............we wouldn't go anywhere without our pooch.........and across the ditch is as much fun for him as us..............not to mention its so easy via the tunnel B-)

PS you don't have a generator as well? 8-).....................That's all you need on here to upset the residents (lol) (lol) (lol)

What about the A-frame, Dave -- to pull the dog kennel with?

A very wise decision, Casey -- not because I'm not fond of dogs, but because the actions of irresponsible dog owners have turned the 'authorities' against them in many European countries -- would that there were more effective controls here!

Cheers,

colin.

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-10-24 8:00 PM

Hi all,

sorry bout that.

thanks everyone

casey.

Don't let the dog haters put you off Casey ;-) ............we wouldn't go anywhere without our pooch.........and across the ditch is as much fun for him as us..............not to mention its so easy via the tunnel B-)

PS you don't have a generator as well? 8-).....................That's all you need on here to upset the residents (lol) (lol) (lol)

Considering you are the most prolific poster on here by a huge margin ( although I note you hide the number of posts ) I really wonder if you or your dog ever see the light of day outside of your computer room, and actually do really wonder if you have a van at all or go anywhere by any mode of transport.

Has there been a single spell this last 12 months when you were not posting on here morning noon and night, get out and take your dog a good run, the exercise will do you both the world of good. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2013-10-24 8:31 PM

What about the A-frame, Dave -- to pull the dog kennel with?

A very wise decision, Casey -- not because I'm not fond of dogs, but because the actions of irresponsible dog owners have turned the 'authorities' against them in many European countries -- would that there were more effective controls here!

Cheers,

colin.

Just as irresponsible motorhome owners Colin ;-)....................be careful what you wish for 8-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 8:42 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-24 8:00 PM

Hi all,

sorry bout that.

thanks everyone

casey.

Considering you are the most prolific poster on here by a huge margin ( although I note you hide the number of posts ) I really wonder if you or your dog ever see the light of day outside of your computer room, and actually do really wonder if you have a van at all or go anywhere by any mode of transport.

Has there been a single spell this last 12 months when you were not posting on here morning noon and night, get out and take your dog a good run, the exercise will do you both the world of good. ;-)

I've outed myself for you Mike ;-).................but as you point out I don't work very hard :D :D............I like to spread my wisdom as a harmless idiot :-D..................the dangerous ones are running the country 8-)...

I hope to become a fulltime idiot soon B-).............with wifi >:-)

Fact, 75% of Caravanners and Motorhome owners take their Dogs on Holiday with them, it's one of the MAIN reasons that they choose to holiday like that. So, all you 'anti-Doggers' had better get used to us,AND our Dogs, because we ain't going to 'Go Away'. Coming to a site near You ! Ray

ps if you doubt the 75% figure, then just count how many units on the site have a pooch with them.

Casey, (the original OP) Go for it, take them with you, just be aware that not EVERYONE will like your Dogs, (as shown on this forum) and show them 'who don't' some consideration. For All our sakes.

Guest 1footinthegrave
What is it with you doggy folks, so sensitive to well founded criticism, just clean up the crap, keep the feckers quiet, stop them biting people and everyone is happy. ;-) even me.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 9:44 PM

What is it with you doggy folks, so sensitive to well founded criticism, just clean up the crap, keep the feckers quiet, stop them biting people and everyone is happy. ;-) even me.

Who are you talking about?..............Frank or John47? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Muswell - 2013-10-24 9:51 PM

I foot, don't you understand that the dogs have won? First train humans to feed them, then train them to take them on holiday, then finally to walk behind with a plastic bag just in case :-D

:D :D :D how true, some plonker even said they have bought a motorhome for theirs, and Melb shares her bed with three of them, I dread to think where she gets licked.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 10:03 PM

Muswell - 2013-10-24 9:51 PM

I foot, don't you understand that the dogs have won? First train humans to feed them, then train them to take them on holiday, then finally to walk behind with a plastic bag just in case :-D

:D :D :D how true, some plonker even said they have bought a motorhome for theirs, and Melb shares her bed with three of them, I dread to think where she gets licked.

You have not lived Mike *-)..............have you never woke up with a Labradors ar*e in your face? :D.......

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 10:41 AM

The very last site were on in France was blissfully quiet until some Brits turned up, the dogs were out of the van before they were, they then proceeded to let the entire site know how excited they were, that then set the tone, I could have like so many occasions shot them quite easily, after the couple of bangs peace and quiet would have been restored, and I'm sure the rest of site would have thanked me, dozing and relaxing in the sunshine quietly enjoying themselves ...until those idiots arrived.

Yup, that would certainly have worked to restore peace and quiet ... you'd have got locked up and wouldn't be around to keep on moaning! :-D

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 9:44 PM

You wouldn't know 'well founded criticism' if it jumped up and bit you ... or licked you!!! :-> Now, how do we go about muzzling you Mike seening as you just seem to growl and snap nowadays????? ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 10:20 AM

To be honest although I do not "get it " when it comes to dogs, if they or their owners do not impact on me I would have no axe to grind ...

Stop it Mike, I can't contain myself, that's the funniest thing you've EVER said ... stop it, I can't take the laughing any longer! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived