Electric bikes

gwyn

I am sure this question has arisen before but we are now seriously thinking of getting folding small wheel electric bikes but given that we go away for a maximum of 16 weeks a year and we're not going to be doing the tour de france or anything like, we do not want to pay a lot. We've seen some on bikes4u which are slightly less than £500 each and would like opinions, we are also intending to go to the motorhome show in Manchester hoping for a show reduction. Opinions please xx

lennyhb - 2013-10-25 6:44 PM

With electric bikes you really do get what you pay for, Eddie (Judgemental) is the one to talk to considers himself quite an expert on the subject. :D

Agree with Lenny, Eddie is probablyy the man to talk to on here.

However, he won't be recommending a small folding bike for lots of reasons.

Is there a particular reason for wanting a folding bike, to fit inside the van, perhaps. I guess you could have an ordinary bike rack on the rear to accommodate normal bikes?

You must try an extended test on a small wheeled bike, I was lent an electric on for a few days in Devon a couple of weeks ago. It got me up many hills with comparative ease but it was the most awful bike to ride.

Small wheels react badly to poor road surfaces and can throw the bike all over the place.

One last thing, the handlebars were only connected to the front forks by a wing nut arrangement (to allow folding) and I was extremely aware of being divorced from the rest of the bike.....

Test a small one against a normal one. Sometimes the small bikes are heavier as they have to have joints, catches and strengthening in places where a normal bike would not.

Good luck.

Guest JudgeMental

I try not to get involved in threads that are limited in scope and understanding..but as my name mentioned i will say this: They will be horrible, relatively heavy, chinese junk that will not be in anyway enjoyable after an hour of ownership.They wont even climb hills well! the main purpose of ebikes surely!

loads of junk ebikes down here in Spain, and you see some people having to dismount for even smallish hills...laughable. they will end up in a garage very quickly, and last place I would go to buy ebikes is a motorhome show. just go to a couple of decent e bike shops and compare the ranges they sell,and have proper test rides, including hills!..that way you will get an idea, but be sceptical of dealer advice....

you have to spend at least double for half decent chinese bikes from reputable manufacturers. and more for really fine German e bikes which are the only type the interest us to be honest.

Judge,have looked at Kalkoff Agutti, and 50 cycles. Any comments either 50 cycles and or on that model with an "impulse motor".

My wife is only 5' 2", in your opinion is the Agutti model ok or is their another model which in your opinion would be more suitable given her petite frame.

Appreciate your advice not only for me but maybee others --- thanks Mike (currently at Bonterra)

Guest JudgeMental

depends on budget, but personally I prefer the Bosch system which are in the same price range.....some good deals to be had with end of season sales making way for 2014 stock. German ebay (ebay.de) a real good place to buy as all the german dealers advertise old stock on there..... they come in all frame sizes so easy to get a bike that fits, they tend to be lightweight and will climb any hill well..proper enjoyable cycling :-D

my wifes AVE MH7 (19Kg a lovely small wheel bike) is in this list at good price. Plus R&M (reise and muller) particularly good hand built bikes...many others

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Elektrofahrr%C3%A4der-/74469/i.html?_udlo=&_udhi=1600&_nkw=bosch&LH_BIN=1

mike 202 - 2013-10-25 7:55 PM

Judge,have looked at Kalkoff Agutti, and 50 cycles. Any comments either 50 cycles and or on that model with an "impulse motor".

My wife is only 5' 2", in your opinion is the Agutti model ok or is their another model which in your opinion would be more suitable given her petite frame.

Appreciate your advice not only for me but maybee others --- thanks Mike (currently at Bonterra)

...We have two Agattu (Impulse Drive) bikes from 50 Cycles, which were selected after trying a few other brands, and a test ride from their Loughborough site.

Both myself (with the cross-bar version) and my wife (with a step-thru) found that they felt "just right" after some disappointment with others tested (including the well-reviewed Wisper).

With the 540Wh battery (now upgraded in the latest bikes), I can get about 80-90 (real-life) miles out of a fully loaded bike (and I'm no lightweight!). My wife's mileage is somewhat better (at an overall load that can't be much over 50% of mine :-( ). Our riding pattern generally means journeys of somewhere between 25 and 40 miles at a go.

They aren't the lightest of bikes, but are rideable without assistance if you wish, and are very well-built, and, of course, fully equipped within that weight (lights, rack, etc.).

I suspect your wife would have little problem with the step-thru on the smaller frame (which, incidentally, comes with smaller (26") wheels and thicker tyres), but, at the price point in question, I would suggest a test-ride is almost a necessity (at either Kingston on Thames or Loughborough).

50 Cycles were good to deal with, and replaced both our batteries (the most expensive single part on the bike) early in ownership due to a manufacturing fault common to both.

Overall, no regrets with our purchase.

The weight of these bikes is quoted at 18.5 kg and no we definitely don't want a bike rack so folding bikes it has to be. Incidently in Spain we saw a dutch guy who was no lightweight cruising comfortably up a steep hill on a small wheeled folding bike

Gwyn, are you currently a bike rider? If you are, and you currently ride a full wheeled bike, you will Immediately notice how unstable small wheeled bikes are in comparison.

If you are not a biker currently, and you know no different, I would not recommend a small wheeled bike as a first try.

The problem you have, is that in deciding on a folding bike before trying any bikes at all, is that you will end up with a bike that may fit inside your van but be awful to ride. And what's the most important element of bike riding, enjoyment.

Good luck but please have a good test drive on both types, no comparison.

Hi Gwyn.

We bought 2 bikes around 3 years ago from AS Bikes based in Coventry, they are always at the shows. Bikes fold down quite small and the battery does around 30 miles on a charge, may do more but never gone that far yet..

After sales service in excellent, as said before on this site, we were in Annecy this year when I had a spoke break, my fault, e.mailed AS bikes just for advice on size of spoke so we could look around bike shops in Annecy, ,,,, there reply was " let me have your address and we will send some to you free of charge"... Arrived 3 days later,

Bikes still going strong.

Guest JudgeMental
if spokes break probably a cheap machine built wheel. Mine never break these days because bikes we have now have proper bomb proof wheels. As in most things..you really get what you pay for....

Caddies104 - 2013-10-26 9:20 AM

Hi Gwyn.

We bought 2 bikes around 3 years ago from AS Bikes based in Coventry, they are always at the shows. Bikes fold down quite small and the battery does around 30 miles on a charge, may do more but never gone that far yet..

After sales service in excellent, as said before on this site, we were in Annecy this year when I had a spoke break, my fault, e.mailed AS bikes just for advice on size of spoke so we could look around bike shops in Annecy, ,,,, there reply was " let me have your address and we will send some to you free of charge"... Arrived 3 days later,

Bikes still going strong.

I bought two small folders from AS Bikes. I agree with "Judge" that they are built to a price and are not anywhere near German quality. However, they do the job, they haul us up some steep hills and at 23kg with battery are light enough. AS Bikes have been excellent with spares supplied by return of post, out of warranty free of charge. The few spares I have needed were due to "fall offs" and other unfortunate accidents by my other half, (OK I did break something once, but it wasn't my fault :-D )

You do get what you pay for, but if you want a reasonably priced reasonable quality bike with good backup AS Bikes are good.

Note for AS Bikes:- Does this entitle me to lifetime free spares Pete?.

H

Small wheels are not the best option for any two wheeled machine, pedal or motorcycle type.

The larger the wheel the better gyroscopic effect on 'the wheel' to maintain its true position ie 'upright' and 'non turning' ability. I've ridden all types from the 54 inch large wheeled Penny Farthing to the small wheeled Moulton. I would NEVER opt for the smallest wheeled cycle. That is why many cycles have a mid-sized wheel, fashionable, more stable, useable and storable.

Older riders will be heard to say that the big upright bikes were good ... they had 28 inch wheels and were never prone to deviate from the 'true'.

Thank you all but particularly caddies and halii. We are bike riders and have had both small and large wheeled. I am aware that with a limitless budget and space I would probably be spending 1000-2000 on large wheeled bikes but unfortunately life is not like that which is why I am particularly grateful for the two reviews of the AS bikes which are exactly what we want and the size we want.

I took up cycling when I retired (after a break of nearly 50 years), and got a great deal of pleasure from it. Arthritic knees, an inexplicable expanding waistband and possibly a lack of willpower meant that my rides gradually became less and less, coming to a total stop about 18 months ago. This all changed last month when I rented an electric bicycle for the day through the "Electric Bicycle Network". I covered 25 miles that day, and suffered cramp in my legs that night! However, the next day I spent a vast amount of my children's inheritance and bought a Giant Twist Hybrid, a life changing decision. I have a 22 mile route - which just about exhausts the battery. I ride this at every opportunity, and cycling has once again become the pleasure it used to be and as an added bonus, I'm also losing weight.

Guest JudgeMental
Sundowner - 2013-10-29 8:00 AM

I took up cycling when I retired (after a break of nearly 50 years), and got a great deal of pleasure from it. Arthritic knees, an inexplicable expanding waistband and possibly a lack of willpower meant that my rides gradually became less and less, coming to a total stop about 18 months ago. This all changed last month when I rented an electric bicycle for the day through the "Electric Bicycle Network". I covered 25 miles that day, and suffered cramp in my legs that night! However, the next day I spent a vast amount of my children's inheritance and bought a Giant Twist Hybrid, a life changing decision. I have a 22 mile route - which just about exhausts the battery. I ride this at every opportunity, and cycling has once again become the pleasure it used to be and as an added bonus, I'm also losing weight.

not a bad choice of bike considering the chinese junk being discussed here...can easily be fitted with 2 batteries extending range.... most buy with 2. .The cramps: drink lots more water and do calf muscle leg stretches 3 times a day:-D

See Chris...like I said earlier a waste of time...,most no interest in life affirming, healthy cycling... Just want cheap rubbish mobility transport. Funny story: chap i was talking to yesterday said he went into a bar down here, and there was over 20 mobility scooters outside...the band struck up, and they were all up dancing! :D

Hi Judge, since I bought it, my daughter- in- law has told me that a friend of hers negotiated a deal which included an extra battery. Mine has the fittings for a second one, so it is now on my shopping list. I can't complain, I did get a discount of £170 on the normal cost of the bike. Meanwhile, the sun is shining so I'm off out again!

Caddies104 - 2013-10-30 8:42 AM

Missing the point!!

Gwyn wanted small wheel folding bike, not costing a lot.....

I take your point Caddies, but these threads are similar to browsing music on you tube. We often drift off the point, but doing so broadens the discussion and sometimes leads us down some interesting roads. Its a bit like touring in a 'van!

If you are considering bikes please bear in mind the distance you wish to travel daily. Our local authority joined up with a local bike shop and wew were able to rent two Giant twist electric bikes free for a week.

Anyway we are quite keen "leisure" cyclists and normally when we are away in the motorhome we go for a ride of about 15 miles each way.

Whilst the Giant's were great when the motor was working, both the batteries packed up after 20 miles. They then became very heavy bicycles, and not much fun to ride.

IF i was looking for an electric bike now I would only look at the established german and dutch makes, the cost seems to be about £1,500 upwards. A local shop is selling a "british" bike (ie made in China) with a retail price of £1,000 and I reckon it's a £200 bike with a motor.

When looking at the range always remember the words "up to 50 miles range" "Up to" includes 5 miles as well if you go up a big hill

You wont be disappointed. A number of our friends have purchased bikes from AS Bikes and all are over the moon with them. Some have the small 20" folder and others (including a 6'6- 22stone guy have the 26" folders).

It is correct you get what you pay for. You can't expect a Bailey to be in the same class as an Auto Trail B-) B-) B-)

We bought an electric bike each. After endless trials etc went for the non folding type. Mine has smaller wheels than him indoors but both brilliant.. Have a bike rack on back but are investing in a "low loader" as old age, arthritis etc means lifting them to shoulder height getting increasingly harder. We test drove them at motorhome shows and that gave us a good idea what to buy. We ended up with a company from Long Eaton Notts. Best buy we ever made as cheaper than towing and no road tax. mot etc.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a nice electric bike. Check out the Woosh Zephyr CD, which offers really good value for money. Woosh sell by mail order. These bikes are extremely capable and can climb any hill with minimum effort even if you're heavy because they have a motor that drives through the gears. Woosh are really nice people do deal with too.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/electric-bikes/zephyr-cd/

The Kudos Secret is also a fine folding bike, but they're very popular, which means that Kudos are often out of stock. You can get them by mail order or through some electric bike shops.

http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=273

Archived