'No Camping' signs to be removed..

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

Nick West, Area Manager, NYCC Highways and Transportation,

“I confirm that it is intended that all the remaining “no camping or sleeping in vehicles 11:00pm to 6:00am” signs in the Whitby Scarborough and Filey areas will be removed. I expect that all remaining “no camping or sleeping” signs will be removed by the end of the financial year.”

see link: http://northyorkshireovernightparking.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/no-camping-or-sleeping-in-vehicles/

Nice 1.

As an ex Filey resident I can only applaud the efforts to get these signs removed. It must be said though that many people ignored 'em as they were never policed. The police weren't interested as it was nowt to do with them and there was no one from the local council to do anything after 5:30.

It is probably because a motorhomer has challenged the validity in Law of the signage. This is the same chap who successfully got illegal signs removed in Scotland.

I know that a lot of you retired Colonel Blimps will not believe me but Councils just erect signs willy nilly and they have no legal standing.

You might also realise why I detest the moaning Minnies who continually metaphorically wring their hands in despair at the Authorities without getting off their well padded arses to do something about it. Some of us do. *-)

Are you listening crinkly?

747 - 2013-10-26 8:16 AM

...You might also realise why I detest the moaning Minnies who continually metaphorically wring their hands in despair at the Authorities without getting off their well padded arses to do something about it. Some of us do. *-)

Are you listening crinkly?

Eh?....8-) ..Not sure if that's aimed at Crinkly' as way of a criticism or just meant for his attention..But if it's the former,then I think that you need to get your facts right!.. :-S

Crinkly has never "moaned " about the lack of availability of overnighting for MHs in the UK....on the contrary,he's one person on here who has always gone to great length to point out how relatively easy it is,if people are willing to put the effort in and do it responsibly!

(..as opposed to those who just expect to "live" on some or other prom' or tourist hot spot for days on end, only to then wonder why they get a bad press from the locals.. *-) )

By reading his many balanced and articulate posts on the topic, it's clear that he's just as much(more!) at odds than anyone,with the routine and pointless,"it's not fair"/" I pay road tax", "moaning Minnie", keyboard warriors we get constantly bleating amongst themselves on here...

Admittedly, he doesn't seem to have much time for petty minded bureaucracy, with it's

illogical decisions....But who has....?! ;-)

Returning the OP...Are these signs being removed because we are to believe that they now are going to be welcoming "overnighters"?.....or is it just that the correct procedures weren't followed prior to them being installed...and therefore this may be something they get right, before reinstalling them...?.... :-S

I know that a lot of you retired Colonel Blimps will not believe me but Councils just erect signs willy nilly and they have no legal standing.

IME 50% of council officials don't know their arse from their elbow and are a complete waste of space, we have had our fair share of run ins with the bullies and ignorant that our local council employs, what they have found is that I might be 'difficult' to deal with, but gf is downright obstinate, and if you know your facts and stand toe to toe with them, at first they will be outraged that anyone would question their authority, but they eventually realise we don't back down.

Guest Peter James
colin - 2013-10-26 4:55 PM

IME 50% of council officials don't know their arse from their elbow and are a complete waste of space, we have had our fair share of run ins with the bullies and ignorant that our local council employs, what they have found is that I might be 'difficult' to deal with, but gf is downright obstinate, and if you know your facts and stand toe to toe with them, at first they will be outraged that anyone would question their authority, but they eventually realise we don't back down.

Amen to that. I think you can see from the quote " the end of the financial year.” is deliberate obfuscation. Why else use 6 words where a simple date would be better. How are visitors expected to know when the end of Scarborough Council financial year is.

Scarborough Council turn away decent motor-homers but welcomed Sir Jimmy Savile OBE KCSG with open arms!!

I have found Scarborough Police very decent though. I park in a nice quiet street and a couple of times a local Victor Meldrew Neighbourhood Watch Character must have seen the van, thought it was someone out doing a burglary and called the police. But as soon as they saw it was a camper van they were very nice about it. The copper even said 'I couldn't care less where you park, thats the council's responsibility and they don't work nights You can park on Holbeck Hill car park if you want to, nobody's checking'. (So I did for one night. Fabulous view, but very exposed to the wind buffeting the van about. I slept better on the street.)

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-10-26 10:36 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-26 10:01 AM

Amen to that. ;-)

Do the words..Pot..kettle...Black...not mean anything to you 1foot'...? (lol)

You're one of the biggest "Moaning Minnies" on the entire forum... :-S (lol)

The difference is I "moan" and write letters, and have also taken on our local community council about all the stupid signs and petty restrictions, instead of taking all the petty minded crap handed out in the UK like so many do, and yes I do bang on about it, you on the other hand by your own confession go and sit a a UK CL ( code for a field in the middle of nowhere ) with a can of beer from the local supermarket cooking on a camping stove saying how little gas you use, try rubbing sticks together, you'll save even more :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-26 7:00 PM

.....you on the other hand by your own confession go and sit a UK CL ( code for a field in the middle of nowhere ) with a can of beer from the local supermarket cooking on a camping stove saying how little gas you use, try rubbing sticks together, you'll save even more :-S

..yeah, I know,disgraceful behaviour!.. fancy someone sitting outside their, cooking and having a drink! ... :-S ..I feel truly ashamed of myself.. *-)

One day, I aspire to becoming one of the true motorhoming road warriors we supposedly have on here.. and set up for days on a prom' or beach carpark (..or in a layby outside someone's house?...like the "cheeky buggers" who you used to moan about, pitching opposite your house...? (lol) (lol) )....

Archived