Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!!

Mel B

As I know lots of people want to be able to use mobile broadband when out in their van I thought I'd post this.

I've just bought a new Huawei E5776 mobile broadband MIFI from Currys/PC World for £29.99 plus £15.99 a month with EE (giving 3gb) on a 30 day rolling notice account. As I have no intention of keeping the contract, I've cancelled it so the MIFI, even if I get charged for the first month, will still only be £44.98 ... as the cheapest you can get is at least £89, this is half the normal price. :-D The only other expense was to buy an unlock code off Ebay for the MIFI, which I did for the princely sum of 99p!!! I unlocked it and am now using it with my Three sim instead.

This E5776 MIFI allows up to 10 separate pieces of equipment to connect to it (computer, laptop, ipad, tablet etc etc) at the same time and is the fastest one on the market. It is able to use the new 4g network (we're getting it here next year) but in the meantime is a high-speed 3g one. (NB: don't get the E5756 by mistake as this is ONLY 3g!).

I've got it because our contract with our current provider, Three, expires tomorrow, but it will just roll on as it is if we don't cancel it which we wont especially since, at just over £8 a month for 15gb it is a no brainer to stay with them (we get a 50% loyalty discount which isn't offered now!). However we do suffer from it being slow where we are and in order to get a newer MIFI to improve things a bit they wanted to charge us an extra £5 to £13 a month (depending on who we talked to!) but that was for the Huawai E586 MIFI which is NOT 4g and would tie us in for 24 months so we'd be stuck with 3g even though 4g is coming our way! 8-) Consequently I decided to do some research yesterday and today and after quite a bit of 'hunting' to see what was out there, I found the deal on the E5776 so quickly plumped for that as they are selling like hot-cakes!

So, if you want one get yourself onto the PC world or Currys website and grab one quick (reserve and collect in store only) - they've already all gone from round these 'er parts and I doubt there'll be any left nationally after this weekend. I don't think 'EE' realised what they'd done when they set up this 'deal' ... lots of people seem to be doing what I've done ... just cancelling the contract immediately. You MUST make sure you get the right 'deal' in the first place though which is the 'monthly' 3gb one with 30 days notice, don't make the mistake of buying anything else! I did ask the chap at EE when I cancelled if I definitely owned the MIFI and he said I did so they can't ask for it back, and the contract definitely is only for a rolling 30 days each time, so no problem there either. The sim will stay active for the 30 day period and then will stop working now I've cancelled the contract, so I've got an extra 3gb to use this month, on top of my 15gb, so hubby will be bashing the gb with stuff he wants to download to get our money's worth out of it!!! :D ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

I dont even know what mifi is but i will caution against 4 G based on number one son saying it is very expensive and has not really caught on at all? ( a question not a statement of fact)

here is link to device:-S

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3515&directoryId=5009&treeId=3619&tab=0

why would I need one..I usually just buy local SIM.

Currently find a good 3G signal is more than fast enough for most browsing and even streaming, don't see the point of paying for a premium service when we don't download video while in the van, why would you?

We each have iPads with O2 rolling 30 day contracts which can be turned on and, importantly, off without giving the ridiculous 30 days notice of other suppliers. We couldn't possibly know 30days in advance whether we will need to cancel or not.

£10 gives you 1gb of data which rolls on if unused and is doubled every 2nd or 3rd renewal so we only need to have one sim activated at any one time and there is more than enough data for us both.

Each ipad can support 5 devices so I can't see the need for a mifi device if you already have another device that can tether and share a phone signal.

My smartphone on Vodafone, which can share data via a hotspot, gives us anther back up if the O2 signal is not so good.

Also, as Eddie, say, all three of our devices are unlocked so when abroad use local data sim in one and share the data.

JudgeMental - 2013-10-26 8:37 AM

I dont even know what mifi is but i will caution against 4 G based on number one son saying it is very expensive and has not really caught on at all? ( a question not a statement of fact)

here is link to device:-S

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3515&directoryId=5009&treeId=3619&tab=0

why would I need one..I usually just buy local SIM.

Perhaps it would be wise to enlighten yourself a bit more Eddie! *-) Here's some info for you:

- a MIFI is a means of wirelessly connecting to the internet

- you can connect up to 10 individual pieces of equipment to it at once (tablet, laptop, computer, gaming console etc)

- it is the fastest MIFI around at present

- it is CHEAPER than a the vast majority of the standard 3G MIFIs!!!!!

- an external antenna can be connected (very few have this capability) to enable connection to your broadband supplier even in bad signal areas

- it can be used on standard 3G or the faster than a standard 3G DC-HSPA which is becoming more available now, but when 4G is rolled out, it will work on that too, so you can benefit from that if you wish

- 4G does not have to cost any more than 3G - in our area we will be getting 4G next year via '3' FOC ... yes, no extra cost AT ALL! :-D

- the MIFI can be used with ANY broadband provider once it is unlocked, you just need the requisite sim for it and set the MIFI up to use their network, not difficult at all

- once unlocked it can be used abroad with a sim from that country

The reason that 4G hasn't caught on is that the roll-out of it 'stalled' and hence there was no real benefit to a lot of people to purchase 4G devices, it was supposed to have come here this year but instead we will be getting it next year, with some other 'nominated' areas not getting it until 2015.

http://thenextweb.com/uk/2013/08/29/three-finally-unveils-4g-rollout-plans-the-stage-is-now-set-for-uks-4g-future/

Any more queries ... I'll try to answer them if I can! :-D

bolero boy - 2013-10-26 8:55 AM

We each have iPads with O2 rolling 30 day contracts which can be turned on and, importantly, off without giving the ridiculous 30 days notice of other suppliers. We couldn't possibly know 30days in advance whether we will need to cancel or not.

£10 gives you 1gb of data which rolls on if unused and is doubled every 2nd or 3rd renewal so we only need to have one sim activated at any one time and there is more than enough data for us both.

I'm confused by this as you seem to be stating you have bits from both of the O2 options, not just one!

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/ipad-sim#

On their website their are two £10 options, which are:

Either: a 30 day rolling plan where any unused data rolls on but you HAVE to give 30 days notice of cancellation.

Or: a 1gb pre-loaded plan which lasts for up to 30 days, or when the 1gb runs out, whichever is the sooner.

So which plan HAVE you got ????? 8-)

Hi,

Whats the difference between Mifi and my Smart Phones portable hotspot provision which allows several devices to connect to it and use the internet connection.

The phone is a Note 2 N7105 which is also 4G, but I think quiet a lot of the smart phones have this facility and its totally portable as a phone, you can also put any SIM card into it as long as its unlocked.

I use a Lebara SIM when we are in Germany and it works fine.

Mel B - 2013-10-26 10:56 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-26 8:55 AM

I'm confused by this as you seem to be stating you have bits from both of the O2 options, not just one!

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/ipad-sim#

On their website their are two £10 options, which are:

Either: a 30 day rolling plan where any unused data rolls on but you HAVE to give 30 days notice of cancellation.

Or: a 1gb pre-loaded plan which lasts for up to 30 days, or when the 1gb runs out, whichever is the sooner.

So which plan HAVE you got ????? 8-)

Mel, we have the OR option in your post. Sorry, shouldn't have used the word 'rolling'.

The preloaded data will expire if you don't use it again the following month but you can choose to cancel or not right up to the last day.

If you do choose to renew, unused data seems to be carried forward and bonus data chunks (1gb) are added as loyalty bonuses.

From the sim perspective the ability to cancel at short notice is the attraction.

For anyone with an unlocked ipad or modern smartphone I feel a mifi is not required as any of our three devices will perform as a wifi router which is what a mifi is.

For anyone with just non tethering devices, perhaps two laptops, a mifi could replace say two dongles.

For anyone with one laptop a dongle might be sufficient.

Whilst not saying that this is the "be all and end all" for mobile broadband connection, for anyone in the market for a MIFI this is a stonking deal!

For us we need a MIFI as we don't have any other broadband at home (ie no landline) so we use it all the time, by having a MIFI we can both be on the internet at the same time: I can use my laptop and hubby the computer (no arguments!) and when away in the van he can use his tablet and I have my smaller laptop.

Our smart phones have some data included in the package but not a lot as we don't use it much on them anyway. Our phones do all we want (300 inclusive mins on one and 100 mins on the other, plus free land-line calls on both, and texts of course) and only cost us £15 a month for BOTH of them! Those with more 'advanced' phones may be able to do more with the internet wise but at what cost? Some people only want a basic phone so don't want to pay over the odds for bits and pieces that they wouldn't use.

No one is forcing anyone to buy one of these, I only posted the info for those who are interested ... its funny, on another forum which I also posted this on the 'attitude' of members has been very different with lots of people being more than pleased that I let them know about the deal and have bought them ... it does make me wonder sometimes why I bother posting stuff on here ...

:-S

First thanks Mel for info. Agree 're this forum, we often get similar negative responses from some when giving details of Aires. Like you we have no landline but have just moved from Mifi to tethering our sony xperia z phone using a three one plan sim, which gives unlimited data use, plus good calls allowance for £33/month. One reason, apart from unlimited data was ability to use abroad for payment of £5/24 hours again with unlimited data. We do use internet a lot when in van so the is good for when we can not connect to free WiFi on aire, tourist office or best in local bar! However, when abroad tethering is not allowed hence why we purchased plan with xperia phone as has large screen.

It is not true as some say that tethering and using a mifi are the same. A mifi allows a wireless printer to be used whilst tethering a phone dose not, so you need to purchase a printer which has its own WiFi router and this then enables a handshake type connection to be made between in our case a mini i-pad and the printer, in our case an Epsom XP 412.

Thanks again for post Mel.

First thanks Mel for info. Agree 're this forum, we often get similar negative responses from some when giving details of Aires. Like you we have no landline but have just moved from Mifi to tethering our sony xperia z phone using a three one plan sim, which gives unlimited data use, plus good calls allowance for £33/month. One reason, apart from unlimited data was ability to use abroad for payment of £5/24 hours again with unlimited data. We do use internet a lot when in van so the is good for when we can not connect to free WiFi on aire, tourist office or best in local bar! However, when abroad tethering is not allowed hence why we purchased plan with xperia phone as has large screen.

It is not true as some say that tethering and using a mifi are the same. A mifi allows a wireless printer to be used whilst tethering a phone dose not, so you need to purchase a printer which has its own WiFi router and this then enables a handshake type connection to be made between in our case a mini i-pad and the printer, in our case an Epsom XP 412.

Thanks again for post Mel.

Oooooh, Mel, of course you must continue to post. You must not be too defensive.

I did see your post on the other forum and it did seem to me as tho everyone just said to themselves this is for me (cos it was cheap and Mel said it was good?) without one person appearing to stop for a minute and see if they really needed it or discussing alternatives.

You are quite unusual in not having a landline and a fixed broadband system which skews your thinking towards a system that will serve you at home and away, mifi may well be perfect for these requirements.

For most people who have a fixed broadband at home and are only looking for something to use in the van they may well have tablets with SIM cards or phones with sufficient amounts of data to manage one or more devices.

For anyone with this type of configuration, a mifi device is likely to be one gadget too far.

None of the above means I have an attitude to your post or that this may well be a very good deal on a mifi device. It's just that many people keep buying more and more stuff which replicates the functionality of things they already have (without knowing it?) and a little extra info might save them chasing something that might not be required.

However, if they have no other means of connecting to the phone network (tablet with no sim, for example) a cracking deal on a mifi device could fit the bill.

Only adding balance to your enthusiastic post. ;-)

Ps R and J , no one was suggesting attaching a printer to a phone in a van. We have wireless printing at home (to both iPads and a desktop) but can't print directly from my HTC Android phone. For some users, tethering and data sharing is sufficient for their needs, for others, a mifi type device might be what's required. Informed choice and balance should always assist decision making.

Chris you miss the point we were making. It is the assumption that a mifi and tethering are the same but in certain respects particularly ability to print they are not. Not suggesting you would want to print from your phone in your van but if you do want to print from a set up based on a smart phone, tethered or otherwise then you do need a wifi enabled printer like the Epsom we mentioned. Hope this makes things clear. (Interesting you say Mel is unusual in having no landline and using only 3g based internet when we do just the same and reports on line suggest this is a growing trend).

Round these 'er parts, more and more people are ditching the landlines (phone and broadband) which is probably exacerbated by the fact that we have the only 'closed shop' phone network in the UK ... Kingston Communications (KC), we're not able to have BT as the rest of the country has as KC in effect has a monopoly here - they own all the phone lines and make it 'expensive' for others to provide a service here, hence they don't! We therefore cannot take advantage of any of the broadband deals by other suppliers, it's KC (which is expensive!) or mobile broadband so lots and lots of people now only have mobile phones and mobile broadband and, as has been said, I've certainly talked to other motorhome owners from other areas who could use BT if they wanted, but who have also chosen to be totally 'mobile'.

As for people buying stuff they don't need ... I wouldn't expect someone to just go out and buy something because I said it was good ... I would hope they had some SENSE and only bought it if it is what they NEEDED ... not just jump on the band wagon ... :-D

Besides which, if someone buys one and finds they don't want/need it, they can easily get double what they paid for it on Ebay!!! :->

robertandjean - 2013-10-27 11:13 PM

Chris you miss the point we were making. It is the assumption that a mifi and tethering are the same but in certain respects particularly ability to print they are not. Not suggesting you would want to print from your phone in your van but if you do want to print from a set up based on a smart phone, tethered or otherwise then you do need a wifi enabled printer like the Epsom we mentioned. Hope this makes things clear. (Interesting you say Mel is unusual in having no landline and using only 3g based internet when we do just the same and reports on line suggest this is a growing trend).

Not sure that I did miss the point.... I was happy to concede that for those that required to print,,either at home or in the van, then the choice you make needs to reflect this requirement.

You may have missed my point that not all smartphone and wireless printers work seamlessly to provide that printing facility.

My network at home, with a wireless (and AirPrint enabled) printer still does not allow printing from my Android phone. My point was that tethering is an option for most people's requirements of browsing and email usage.

Printing documents in a motorhome is not a common requirement and, as such, utilising the capabilities of a 3G device (smartphone or tablet) to share a signal/data) is something that users should check on before diving into the mifi market.

All I'm saying is that there is a choice and information assists that process.

I'm sure you are right in that moving towards mobile solutions for 'home' broadband' is on the increase but in the grand scheme of things it's still a very small market. At the moment, I don't thing the service is good enough compared to a fixed line one.

Mel B - 2013-10-28 1:21 AM

Round these 'er parts, more and more people are ditching the landlines (phone and broadband) which is probably exacerbated by the fact that we have the only 'closed shop' phone network in the UK ... Kingston Communications (KC), we're not able to have BT as the rest of the country has as KC in effect has a monopoly here - they own all the phone lines and make it 'expensive' for others to provide a service here, hence they don't! We therefore cannot take advantage of any of the broadband deals by other suppliers, it's KC (which is expensive!) or mobile broadband so lots and lots of people now only have mobile phones and mobile broadband and, as has been said, I've certainly talked to other motorhome owners from other areas who could use BT if they wanted, but who have also chosen to be totally 'mobile'.

As for people buying stuff they don't need ... I wouldn't expect someone to just go out and buy something because I said it was good ... I would hope they had some SENSE and only bought it if it is what they NEEDED ... not just jump on the band wagon ... :-D

Besides which, if someone buys one and finds they don't want/need it, they can easily get double what they paid for it on Ebay!!! :->

Ok, I can see that you are in an area where perhaps you don't have the choice and competition that some do (although I would be asking serious questions about how one company can implement a monopoly these days) and that the move to mobile broadband is skewed by this, but, in general, most users still use their mobile phones as a complement to the system/package they have at home (line/calls/broadband).

As the service improves and becomes more reliable and cost effective then more customers will migrate, but we aren't there yet by a long way.

I did mention your other thread on 'fun'? where there was not one comment pausing to consider the options and I felt that adding an alternate view would help the balance.

I'm surprised you haven't bought the lot and doubled your money on EBay, better than Post Office shares?

As I say, no attitude, just information.

It's a great pity that, yet again, Mel has tried to 'enlightened' the masses with what looks like a great deal . . . only to be shot down with some negative comments.

If one of these devices are good for you get one quick otherwise ignore her post but don't have a go at her. These things are £129 on Amazon so it looks like a terrific deal if you follow her advice.

Oh well . . . . back to the lurking 8-)

W2G

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 8:49 AM

Not sure that I did miss the point.... I was happy to concede that for those that required to print,,either at home or in the van, then the choice you make needs to reflect this requirement.

You may have missed my point that not all smartphone and wireless printers work seamlessly to provide that printing facility.

My network at home, with a wireless (and AirPrint enabled) printer still does not allow printing from my Android phone. My point was that tethering is an option for most people's requirements of browsing and email usage.

Printing documents in a motorhome is not a common requirement and, as such, utilising the capabilities of a 3G device (smartphone or tablet) to share a signal/data) is something that users should check on before diving into the mifi market.

I'm sure you are right in that moving towards mobile solutions for 'home' broadband' is on the increase but in the grand scheme of things it's still a very small market. At the moment, I don't thing the service is good enough compared to a fixed line one.

Sorry Chris really must not be making this clear. Point is that for smart phones, tetherd or otherwise then only way to print is by using a special printer which has its own router built in. On other point we find that our mobile system is faster than fixed in our particular area. But of course it is horses for courses and some will prefer to stick with fixed systems in same way as some still prefer PC's to pads etc.

Way2Go - 2013-10-28 11:32 AM

It's a great pity that, yet again, Mel has tried to 'enlightened' the masses with what looks like a great deal . . . only to be shot down with some negative comments.

It is the way of this forum unfortunately.

It makes sense that any perceived shortcomings of any suggestion are posted but perhaps this could be done in a less adversarial manner?

Perhaps the intention is not to offend but continual put downs discourage people from posting their perceived good ideas as they then ask themselves what is the point?

Personally, like many others, I am always grateful to read any tips or info - even if it is no direct interest to me at the time.

robertandjean - 2013-10-28 12:16 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 8:49 AM

Sorry Chris really must not be making this clear. Point is that for smart phones, tetherd or otherwise then only way to print is by using a special printer which has its own router built in. On other point we find that our mobile system is faster than fixed in our particular area. But of course it is horses for courses and some will prefer to stick with fixed systems in same way as some still prefer PC's to pads etc.

Robert or Jean ( not sure who I am talking to....?) you didn't read my post very carefully as I did agreethat there was an issue printing from a tethered smartphone, I have the same issue here at home as mentioned.

I also said that anyone wishing to print documents in their motorhome (ill guess not a huge percentage) should check on before choosing a mifi device or using a smartphone. Yes, as I (and you) have said its horses for courses.

Just offering up another horse and another course but this seems to be frowned upon......

Tracker - 2013-10-28 12:49 PM

Way2Go - 2013-10-28 11:32 AM

It is the way of this forum unfortunately.

It makes sense that any perceived shortcomings of any suggestion are posted but perhaps this could be done in a less adversarial manner?

Perhaps the intention is not to offend but continual put downs discourage people from posting their perceived good ideas as they then ask themselves what is the point?

Personally, like many others, I am always grateful to read any tips or info - even if it is no direct interest to me at the time.

Way2go and Richard, If adding another option into the mix is 'shooting Mel down in flames' , 'adverarial' or posting 'continual put downs' then I stand corrected.

Notwithstanding Mel's ability to 'enlighten the masses' I feel that giving a further perspective to the ongoing 'wifi in the van' conundrum should not be seen as heresy.

Archived