Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!!

Mel B

AliB - 2013-10-28 1:44 PM

One of the benefits of this forum is that people post alternative views. You might not agree with them but you can then make your own decision.

Thanks AliB, my only intention was to increase awareness and provide increased options.

Perhaps I should not have offered a different perspective in one of Mel's bargain of the month threads as it looks like I am undermining the thrust of the OP.

Perhaps I'll wait until there is a specific thread on wifi options before unleashing my obvious pent up venom..... ;-)

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 2:48 PM

robertandjean - 2013-10-28 12:16 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 8:49 AM

robertandjean - 2013-10-27 11:13 PM

Chris you miss the point we were making. It is the assumption that a mifi and tethering are the same but in certain respects particularly ability to print they are not. Not suggesting you would want to print from your phone in your van but if you do want to print from a set up based on a smart phone, tethered or otherwise then you do need a wifi enabled printer like the Epsom we mentioned. Hope this makes things clear. (Interesting you say Mel is unusual in having no landline and using only 3g based internet when we do just the same and reports on line suggest this is a growing trend).

Not sure that I did miss the point.... I was happy to concede that for those that required to print,,either at home or in the van, then the choice you make needs to reflect this requirement.

You may have missed my point that not all smartphone and wireless printers work seamlessly to provide that printing facility.

My network at home, with a wireless (and AirPrint enabled) printer still does not allow printing from my Android phone. My point was that tethering is an option for most people's requirements of browsing and email usage.

Printing documents in a motorhome is not a common requirement and, as such, utilising the capabilities of a 3G device (smartphone or tablet) to share a signal/data) is something that users should check on before diving into the mifi market.

All I'm saying is that there is a choice and information assists that process.

I'm sure you are right in that moving towards mobile solutions for 'home' broadband' is on the increase but in the grand scheme of things it's still a very small market. At the moment, I don't thing the service is good enough compared to a fixed line one.

Sorry Chris really must not be making this clear. Point is that for smart phones, tetherd or otherwise then only way to print is by using a special printer which has its own router built in. On other point we find that our mobile system is faster than fixed in our particular area. But of course it is horses for courses and some will prefer to stick with fixed systems in same way as some still prefer PC's to pads etc.

Robert or Jean ( not sure who I am talking to....?) you didn't read my post very carefully as I did agreethat there was an issue printing from a tethered smartphone, I have the same issue here at home as mentioned.

I also said that anyone wishing to print documents in their motorhome (ill guess not a huge percentage) should check on before choosing a mifi device or using a smartphone. Yes, as I (and you) have said its horses for courses.

Just offering up another horse and another course but this seems to be frowned upon......

Try Google Cloud Print if you want to print from a smartphone.

I did get this working with our older Canon printer (not wireless but connected to our network via my old desktop) but have not tried it since swapping to a more recent wireless Canon Pixma as I have not had the need. However, this might help others who need to print while away from home but don't want to take up the mifi option.

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 9:02 AM

Ok, I can see that you are in an area where perhaps you don't have the choice and competition that some do (although I would be asking serious questions about how one company can implement a monopoly these days) and that the move to mobile broadband is skewed by this, but, in general, most users still use their mobile phones as a complement to the system/package they have at home (line/calls/broadband).

As the service improves and becomes more reliable and cost effective then more customers will migrate, but we aren't there yet by a long way.

Various parties in Hull have tried for yonks to get other providers to come here, both for telephone and broadband, but to no avail due, as I understand it, to the very high cost of doing so because they either have to lay their own cables everywhere or use the KC ones with a premium 'leasing' price. So it's not a monopoly as such (they are VERY keen to let you know that as it has been investigated!) but in reality that's what it turns out to be!

I did mention your other thread on 'fun'? where there was not one comment pausing to consider the options and I felt that adding an alternate view would help the balance.

No problem with that at all, but if so then you really need to give the full picture such as the cost off the equipment you use to be able to do that, which is what I tried to do with my OP. Also, I've had lots and lots of PMs and emails asking me for more info etc from people before they plumped for the MIFI, so I've tried to give them the full picture and direct them to places to find out more.

I'm surprised you haven't bought the lot and doubled your money on EBay, better than Post Office shares?

As I say, no attitude, just information.

(lol) :D

bolero boy - 2013-10-28 2:59 PM

AliB - 2013-10-28 1:44 PM

One of the benefits of this forum is that people post alternative views. You might not agree with them but you can then make your own decision.

Thanks AliB, my only intention was to increase awareness and provide increased options.

Perhaps I should not have offered a different perspective in one of Mel's bargain of the month threads as it looks like I am undermining the thrust of the OP.

Perhaps I'll wait until there is a specific thread on wifi options before unleashing my obvious pent up venom..... ;-)

Why not start one? I'm sure members of the forum would really appreciate advice on this subject as I bet a lot of then don't really understand it ... I only know about the bits I need to for my own circumstances plus what I've found out when toottling round the web, shops and talking to people in the know, whilst checking out the MIFI etc recently, so go on ... put your 'venom' to some good use! :D I dare you ..... >:-)

This is all of great interest to me because i am considering my options for home and van internet. Not sure to go for a new mobile with bigger screen and better function than current galaxy mini such as galaxy s 3 or a tablet with a mobile sim so here is the scenario any advice gratefully received as my head hurts.

Like Mel no phone line at home

i am t mobile sim only 9 per month incl web

lynn on tesco mobile 10 per month

Lynn on t mobile dongle 7.50 per month

can get galaxy s 3 sim free 284

tablet 229 and 1g sim 7.50 per month

so what to do ???

Well I for one am very grateful to Mel for her notification of this Mifi because I cannot have a landline either and rely on 3G for the internet at home in the UK. Just hoping that a relative can source one for me. Hopefully this will speed up the service whilst waiting for 4G to come on line. Thanks Mel.

Archived