Turbo vs Non-turbo

alistair

We're hoping to buy a high-top motorhome next year when we arrive in the UK. Short-listed at this stage, based only on reading, are the Autosleeper Topaz (2.4 and 2.5 litre diesel) and Duetto (2.5 litre diesel) based on VW and Ford respectively. I'd be grateful for any comments on turbo vs non-turbo for these vehicles. I lean towards turbo as we will be doing a lot of travel in mountainous bits of Europe, but it has been suggested that non-turbo is actually adequate on these vehicles. I understand there are two different versions of the VW turbo, one with a lot more power than the other. Anyone got experience they could pass on? How do these vehicles compare with the Renault Trafic such as used in the Holdsworth Sonata? Any comments on the above conversions also welcomed. Many Thanks

Having had a 1.9 turbo diesel, and 2.8 non-turbo diesel and a 2.3 turbo diesel, I'd only ever buy a turbo engine. The 2.8 had the power once you got up to speed but lost in on hills and even in strong headwinds, if you intend to go up hills/mountains you definitely want a turbo.

Thinking about it I've never seen a non turbo Duetto, certainly not after '96 anyway. Either of your chosen 'vans will do you nicely and all engine options are just about indestructible as long as you make sure the cam belts (and pump belts on the Volks) are changed early. Transit 2.5 DI whether turbo or not will actually survive a broken timing belt, they only bend the pushrods while most other engines will bend several valves. Hope this helps, D.

hi, stuggled with our non turbo symphony for 4 years. finally gave in & made a trip to tb turbo.high cost but worth it. TURBO every time !!! incidently dave n.if in doubt give it a clout has been my moto during 45 years in the motor trade.says a lot doesn't it.

Thanks to all who commented, and those who may still wish to comment. Dave, interested in your comment re Duettos. Some of the adverts refer to 2.5D and some to 2.5TD, or spell out diesel or turbo diesel - hence my assumption that they came with both. It would make life simpler for me if they were all turbo. I would always immediately replace the cam belt on a modern engine unless there was definite documentation of a recent replacement. Does anyone have a feel for the relative costs of a cam belt on a VW or Ford engine? What's accessibility like for an reasonably competent DIY person?

Hi Alistair, I'm not 100% about all Duettos being turbo powered but I've never seen one that wasn't and I've worked on plenty. Timing belt replacement is reasonable on either the Ford or Volks T4 and a capable DIY mechanic should have no real problems, allow about 3 hours or so for either one. I would think you can find details on the web somewhere for either type. As I said before the Ford survives timing belt failure but does bend the pushrods, every other belt driven engine (well nearly every one, a few are non interference but not the ones we're talking about here) bends the valves and can damage pistons, valve guides, sometimes even the head itself. T4 has two belts, one from the crank to the camshaft and the other at the opposite end of the engine drives the injector pump from the camshaft. Locking equipment is recomended for both Ford and VW but not vitally important if you're careful. D.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, You might be interested to know that I've now enquired about a number of 1996-1999 Duettos that fit my mileage and price range, and so far, all have turned out to be 2.5 litre non-turbo. Many of the turbos that are advertised are automatic, but I want a manual. I've got a few months to find what I want, but I've been surprised at how many non-turbos there are.

[QUOTE]alistair - 2006-09-04 10:03 PM Dave, You might be interested to know that I've now enquired about a number of 1996-1999 Duettos that fit my mileage and price range, and so far, all have turned out to be 2.5 litre non-turbo. Many of the turbos that are advertised are automatic, but I want a manual. I've got a few months to find what I want, but I've been surprised at how many non-turbos there are.[/QUOTE] You surprise me too Alistair, as I said before I've never seen a non turbo Duetto but of course that doesn't mean there aren't any. I certainly wouldn't go for a non turbo, while it's performance is adequate it's certainly not sparkling! D.

Archived