western isles wildcamping

jwj

Hi All, We were last on the isles in 2007 travelling from Barra to Harris & Lewis part wild camping part on sites. One morning we were reprimanded by a local for parking on a piece of land, although another local told us to ignore him. We would like to do a return tour with some wild camping again, giving due consideration to the local population.

If anyone has done this trip in the last couple of years we would appreciate any experiences or advice.

Regards, Jim

Jim

I was last there the same year as yourself though unlike you I never had any issues over wildcamping. However I do know that since then you can no longer park overlooking the beach by the little airport at Barra which is a great shame as not only was the view amazing, it was also very entertaining watching the aircraft landing on the beach.

I did the entire Outer Hebrides and wildcamped throughout, though I believe there is a small site on Harris and possibly Barra.

There are now several sites through the Western Isles.

There is one on Barra which features in the "Island Parish "series on tv early last year I think.

There is also a site on North Uist and another on Benbecula.

One on Lewis, in Stornaway, I believe there is also another one on Lewis at Uig finally there areat least two on Harris.

Full details ofmost of these sites can be obtained from Visit Sotland.

These are the the only ones I can think of right now but there may be more by next year owing to the increased popularity of this beautiful part of Scotland

Wild camping can still be, and is, done on the Islands if you are going as usual please treat the area with respect and if somebody asks you to move on do so.

Hi. Have not MH'd there yet, but am frequent visitor. Last on S. Uist in July this year, met a chap filling his MH with water at Eriskay ferry terminal. He said that fresh water and chemical disposal was available at all ferry points, wild camping (respecting environment) no problem. I saw a wild "campsite" on the machair about a mile north of Eriskay. Certainly hoping to do the same next spring.

Guest Had Enough

We did the same four years ago. Barra to Stornoway and then back to Tarbert for Skye. No problem sensible wild camping but if there was a site we used it as we felt that we should support the local economy.

Many people are quite poor, crofters and the the like and when they see visitors in their expensive motorhomes avoiding small charges for sites I can understand how they might get resentful.

Water was no problem, gey water is just that, grey water, dump it down a grid or into a ditch by the side of the road, it's harmless.

Cassette emptying wasn't a problem either. We dumped it whenever we had the chance, a campsite or a public lavatory. Leave it as clean or cleaner as when you entered and there's no problem.

Never had a problem wilding on any of the Scotish islands and Ive done 18 of them. Locals dont give a stuff as its a bit like Europe. Loads of space and nobody causes a problem.

In fact I have always found the locals very welcoming. In one pub they wouldnt let us leave all afternoon until we had played them at Darts, pool and skittles! We just kipped in the car park in the end as we were that Pished!

Had Enough - 2013-10-27 8:13 AM

We did the same four years ago. Barra to Stornoway and then back to Tarbert for Skye. No problem sensible wild camping but if there was a site we used it as we felt that we should support the local economy.

Many people are quite poor, crofters and the the like and when they see visitors in their expensive motorhomes avoiding small charges for sites I can understand how they might get resentful.

Hhhmmm.....not so sure about the "poor" bit. I saw many islanders riding expensive sports bikes and was also staggered at the amount of alcohol in shops on the islands. Each shop was like a mini brewery with booze stacked floor to ceiling and consumed in copious amounts too! As one islander (excusing his drunkeness at 8am!!) said to me, "we live here....you tourists don't and there isn't an awful lot to do in evenings other than get drunk". Very nice guy though and a local 'character' of Barra. His name is Neil and his favourite 'party piece' in the local Pub is taking his false eye out and dropping it in someones beer! Often seen wobbling around with his two Border Collie dogs.

Crofting has virtually disappeared now with many turning to make money from their land in other ways.........such as campsites!

Been over several times, Barra, a new site has opened on the the west coast, not far from the 'Beach hotel', about 3 miles west out of Castlebay, another up in the north, beyond the 'airport' at Ealogarry (where there is a 'Dumpstation' ( lol, just a drain hatch behind the public loo). Plenty of places to 'Wild it' , BUT please ask at the nearest Croft if it's OK, it nearly ALWAYS will be, but they appreciate being asked. Water, always at ferry ports, as well as 'Dumpstations' but they are not always 'Evident' you have to look or ask for them. Ask at the Tourist Information for the 'current list of Crofters' who take campers on their land, there is always a few, some with good facilities, and ALWAYS very friendly. A lovely lady in Castlebay kept us supplied with Hot Broth every day, and all she would take in payment was 'a ten minute chat'. Love Barra the best !

North Uist, Lovely newish site at Cairinis, toilet block worthy of any Caravan Club site. Moorcroft I think it's called. Lovely views across the sea to Benbecula. Another site further on, at the nature reserve at Balranald. Again lots of places to 'Wild camp', you are only limited by your water supply, and places to empty your grey water and cassette. Again PLEASE dont litter or dump indiscriminately. We all want to be able to go back and enjoy it. Can think of lots more on Harris and Lewis, but thats enough for today.

Ray

For a really good 'Craic' (irish word but applies here too !) go to the 'Castlebay bar' when the 'Vatersay boys' are playing.... fantastic !

The 'campers hostels' are another source of overnighting parking spaces and fresh water,list at tourist information.

In answer to the below, MOST ferry terminals have facilities, you have to LOOK though.

Absolutely LOVE the place.

We went this year and although a little disappointed with the islands as a whole the locals were the most friendly we have ever come across. Was their in high season and only used sites, never booked one and had no trouble with getting on them. Have to say all sites are expensive and most are pretty poor but we did find two that were first class. Did not see many vans parked up in laybys but would see little problem with this if it is what you wish to do. Not all ferry terminals have water and dump facilities. The tourist board will give you a list.

Guest Had Enough
Bulletguy - 2013-10-27 12:15 PM

Had Enough - 2013-10-27 8:13 AM

Hhhmmm.....not so sure about the "poor" bit. I saw many islanders riding expensive sports bikes and was also staggered at the amount of alcohol in shops on the islands. Each shop was like a mini brewery with booze stacked floor to ceiling and consumed in copious amounts too! As one islander (excusing his drunkeness at 8am!!) said to me, "we live here....you tourists don't and there isn't an awful lot to do in evenings other than get drunk". Very nice guy though and a local 'character' of Barra. His name is Neil and his favourite 'party piece' in the local Pub is taking his false eye out and dropping it in someones beer! Often seen wobbling around with his two Border Collie dogs.

Crofting has virtually disappeared now with many turning to make money from their land in other ways.........such as campsites!

I was in London recently and I've never seen so many Lamborghinis and Ferraris but I'm not assuming that most Londoners are millionaires? But 'sports bikes'? Not exactly a sign of great wealth!

Average earnings in the Highlands and Islands are about 15% lower than the rest of the U.K. mainly due to a preponderance of employment in lower-paid jobs such as fishing and agriculture. Very few highly paid jobs in modern car factories in Stornoway!

This coupled with much higher prices for fuel and most other things (no Tescos on Barra!) makes for a much lower standard of living.

Many islanders do resent us as they know that some motorhomers fill up with diesel and food on the mainland before catching the ferry. This, coupled with the reluctance of many to wild camp when there is a site within a short distance annoys them when they know that our leisure vehicles may be worth more than their homes, for those that even own their own homes anyway.

If visiting the islands we should overnight carefully and support the local shops and sites or we run the risk of making motorhoming very unpopular.

The islanders are naturally friendly and hospitable but in the past there have been tensions caused by the minority of selfish motorhomers.

Had Enough - 2013-10-27 2:51 PM

I was in London recently and I've never seen so many Lamborghinis and Ferraris but I'm not assuming that most Londoners are millionaires? But 'sports bikes'? Not exactly a sign of great wealth!

Average earnings in the Highlands and Islands are about 15% lower than the rest of the U.K. mainly due to a preponderance of employment in lower-paid jobs such as fishing and agriculture. Very few highly paid jobs in modern car factories in Stornoway!

This coupled with much higher prices for fuel and most other things (no Tescos on Barra!) makes for a much lower standard of living.

Many islanders do resent us as they know that some motorhomers fill up with diesel and food on the mainland before catching the ferry. This, coupled with the reluctance of many to wild camp when there is a site within a short distance annoys them when they know that our leisure vehicles may be worth more than their homes, for those that even own their own homes anyway.

If visiting the islands we should overnight carefully and support the local shops and sites or we run the risk of making motorhoming very unpopular.

The islanders are naturally friendly and hospitable but in the past there have been tensions caused by the minority of selfish motorhomers.

99% of the 'supercars' cruising around central London are owned by young Arabs who ship them over every year to 'have fun' making a noise up and down the streets. Naturally upsets the snooty locals but pleases the car fanatics who vie with each other to obtain the best YouTube clip (it's full of them).

Whilst owning a sports bike does not necessarily make one a multi millionaire playboy, it's hardly the sign of abject poverty either.

Fuel is expensive I will grant you that, but then it always has been a higher price anywhere in Scotland in comparison to that in the South. Maybe in the unlikely event that Scotland becomes independent, Southerners should expect a price hike in fuel with Scots seeing it drop.

Finally, is it really necessary to 'lecture' people about how they spend their nights and where they spend their money when on holiday? I'm surprised you haven't suggested a curfew! Something I really do appreciate on the islands is at least they all shut down on Sunday's......much to the annoyance of mainlanders who are used to making the weekly pilgrimage to their Supermarkets and DIY stores.

Archived