Duplicate travel insurance

chris

Is it ok to have 2 companies insure you for medical travel insurance?

The reason I am asking is that it is cheaper for me to get joint insurance for a year (company A) plus another company(B) for myself only as the joint insurer (A) will not cover one of my medical problems and anything related to it.

Joint policy (A) £169 + company (B) £111 for me only = £280

If I go with other companies that cover all our ailments for annual multi trip insurance the costs start at £375.

Can you have 2 companies to cover you as a safety net?

Chris

chris - 2013-10-27 8:07 PM

Is it ok to have 2 companies insure you for medical travel insurance?

Can you have 2 companies to cover you as a safety net?

Chris

Don't see why not if they are covering you for differing conditions, although I reckon they would both use it as an excuse not to pay out.

Insurance is the next ' profession ' that needs sorting !

;-)

I have heard of situations similar to this and when a claim was put in to one of the companies they looked into the insurance records and found the double insurance and both companies paid half the claim each.

The bad news is they both charged the excess and both applied a loss of no claims eligibility.

I cannot remember what type of insurance it was but insurance companies do collaborate with each other. I have found most policies I take out are underwritten by AXA or Legal and General anyway.

Can I thank you all for your comments. I think you have saved me from making a mistake. I was looking for genuine cover but can see that insurance companies may look harshly on double insurance.

Better safe than sorry so will only have one company now.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi. From my experience it seems that you are not allowed to be covered by two Travel insurances at the same time.Quite often our annual travel insurance renewal was due when we were out of the country, so I would renew before the holiday started. When I came to renew the other year, I was told that I could not because of my age.I contacted another company to see if I could have insurance to follow on from the existing one. No they said because the new one has to start before you leave the country. I then said could the new one be dated to start before we leave the country? Yes they said , but I must cancel the existing one as you are not allowed to be covered by two at the same time.

Brian B.

Hi, the short answer to the question of duplicate insurance is that it is an attempt to profit from a claim. Sometimes called fraud, and highly likely that neither company would pay, or at best both would only pay a portion of a claim and impose excesses on their part so you wouldnt get full payout anyway.

There is a distinct possibility of legal action against you for attempting to defraud insurers. Double payout for the same claim, not likely!!.

The insurers will surely squabble about the extent if any of their own liability.

Not adviseable to even attempt it.

Tony

Hi All,

What about the position where I suppose a lot of us are in that Travel Insurance is provided as part of your Bank Account.

Because of the restrictions of holiday duration etc. I used to just ignore this cover and take out Travel Insurance with another provider. I would not do this to 'fraud' anybody , but does this thread suggest people should beware of having Travel Insurance as part of a Bank Account and deliberately opt out.?

cheers

derek

Yes, that`s a point. My "free" bank insurance has a limited duration and I have been wondering how to overcome this problem myself. I now wish to holiday away longer and been thinking of how I could tack on a further few weeks. Any suggestions?

Alan.

derek pringle - 2013-10-29 11:56 AM

Hi All,

What about the position where I suppose a lot of us are in that Travel Insurance is provided as part of your Bank Account.

Because of the restrictions of holiday duration etc. I used to just ignore this cover and take out Travel Insurance with another provider. I would not do this to 'fraud' anybody , but does this thread suggest people should beware of having Travel Insurance as part of a Bank Account and deliberately opt out.?

cheers

derek

This is an extract from the FAQ section relating to Nationwide's free European multi-trip travel insurance policy.

"What if I already have travel cover?

You should compare the cover you have with the cover provided by this policy.

We are unable to give advice on which policy best meets your needs, please ensure you are satisfied with the level of cover this policy gives you before cancelling any other policies.

If you decide to opt out of this free insurance you can do so by returning all your documents to:

New Account Opening - Banking Operations

Nationwide Building Society Head Office

Nationwide House

Pipers Way

Swindon

Wiltshire

SN38 1NW.

If you have more than one policy, any incidents covered by both policies may be shared proportionally between the two insurance companies. This will be based on the cost of the claim and the sums insured of each policy.

When you make a claim with either provider, you should provide details of your second policy. The insurers will then arrange a contribution between themselves. However, this will not affect the claim."

The implication seems to be that it's not illegal to have policies from several insurance providers that essentially cover the same risks as long as - if you make a claim on any of the policies - all the providers become aware of this.

Chris

I expect there is a simple answer to this, but, if your original plan was

Joint policy (A) £169 + company (B) £111 for me only = £280

could you not have a policy with Insurance provider A that did not apply to you and a policy with Insurance provider B that only applied to you? Then there'd be no insurance 'overlap'.

Thanks all. Plenty of information from all of you, especially Derek, as I thought your last suggestion would work.

I phoned the insurer I wished to use (Comfort). They confirmed that you cannot have 2 policies.

I then asked could you insure my husband on his own and then I would go with a different company. Unfortunately, as the house insurance is in my name then my husband cannot take out travel insurance in his name.

Well, at least I confirmed everything before I made a mistake.

We intend to travel in January now so I will be prepared and will either go with L and V, camping and caravanning club or Staysure as we require at least 90 days.

Thanks everyone

Chris

Archived