Motorhome Road Tax Clarification?

spike

Just noticed a question on motorhome road tax in the latest Caravan Club magazine and just scanned through it and it seem quite complicated and technical. Is this a new thing that the government has introduced? If so how much is it going to cost me? We have a 2004 diesel 1.9 Fiat Ducato 494.

AIUI, since the changes you refer to depend on the declaration of an emissions level at first registration, there will be no opportunity to apply (at least the current proposals) retrospectively. I very much doubt your 'van has been registered in such a manner.

So, as far as the basis of the discussion in the CC magazine, you can for the time being ignore any effects.

In addition, since any impact is based on the declaration at registration of the above emissions level, and that this is likely in real terms for a motorcaravan to be somewhat arbitrary, and is not currently a legal requirement, then I suspect the practice of declaring such figures on a CoC (at least for the UK market) will be a short-lived practice.

Thus, the changes discussed in the article are (IMO) only likely to affect a few people who, in the interim and since the "rule change", have unfortunately bought a vehicle with a final-stage emissions level quoted on the CoC.

Of course, given the apparent inconsistencies in this, there is nothing to stop a further change of rules (but this will potentially create further inconsistencies with real "goods Vehicles" based on a similar chassis to a Motorcaravan).

Whatever the vehicle, whatever the rate, if its a brand new vehicle the road tax will be two or three times the annual rate just because its the first registration.

If you already have the vehicle which is how you describe yourself then it must have a tax rate now ??

rupert123 - 2013-10-28 12:40 PM

£220 twelve months. It is all quite clear on the DVLA web site.

The annual VED fee for a 2004 motor caravan with 1.9 litre motor and a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) not exceeding 3500kg and registered in the Private or light goods vehicles tax class (TC11) is currently £225.

If the motor caravan were registered in the Private HGV class (TC10) due to its GVW being over 3500kg, the annual VED fee would be £165.

(There is a mistake in the Caravan Club Magazine piece. The annual VED fee for a TC11 vehicle with an engine capacity not exceeding 1549cc is currently £140, not £210 as stated in the CC article.)

Will85 - 2013-10-28 1:06 PM

Whatever the vehicle, whatever the rate, if its a brand new vehicle the road tax will be two or three times the annual rate just because its the first registration...

Only vehicles that are first UK-registered within the emissions-related Tax Classes (TC48, TC 49 and TC 59) have the potential to be charged a 'First Year Rate' of VED that exceeds the rate charged in subsequent years.

If a motor caravan were first UK-registered in TC10 or TC11 (because no CO2 datum is available), there is no special First Year Rate.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-28 1:55 PM

rupert123 - 2013-10-28 12:40 PM

£220 twelve months. It is all quite clear on the DVLA web site.

The annual VED fee for a 2004 motor caravan with 1.9 litre motor and a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) not exceeding 3500kg and registered in the Private or light goods vehicles tax class (TC11) is currently £225.

If the motor caravan were registered in the Private HGV class (TC10) due to its GVW being over 3500kg, the annual VED fee would be £165.

(There is a mistake in the Caravan Club Magazine piece. The annual VED fee for a TC11 vehicle with an engine capacity not exceeding 1549cc is currently £140, not £210 as stated in the CC article.)

Sorry about that, it is as Derek stated £225, typing error on my part.

spike - 2013-10-28 12:36 PM

Just noticed a question on motorhome road tax in the latest Caravan Club magazine and just scanned through it and it seem quite complicated and technical. Is this a new thing that the government has introduced? If so how much is it going to cost me? We have a 2004 diesel 1.9 Fiat Ducato 494.

If your van is over 3500kg unladen then £165 if 3500kg or under £225.

it's only if the converter has put the c02 output levels onto the logbook (they don't have to) that the new levels will apply. Thats how I read it anyway. ray

The advice to DVLA representatives regarding licencing vehicles in the M1SP category is as stated in Andy C's 2 October 2013 posting on this earlier forum thread.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Euro-4-Road-Fund-Licence/30750/

My 2005 Hobby motorhome has Europen Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA). The vehicle's Certificate of Conformity (CoC) issued by Hobby includes certain data relating to emissions, but not the CO2 figure that (under the latest regulations) might have caused the vehicle to be placed in the Graduated VED bands when it was imported into the UK and first registered here.

It may well be the case that coachbuilt motorhomes, that are constructed on a 'bare' chassis, will continue to have no CO2 datum on their CoC, but that won't necessarily be the case for the CoCs of panel-van conversions (PVCs) with ECWVTA. For example, on the forum thread I've just mentioned Colin says of his 2011 Globecar PVC

"Just found the co2 emissions figure on my CofC, 220g/km thats band K first year £620, subsequent years £280, just 6g more and it would be 840/475 ouch."

Forum members may recall that, some 6 years ago, VW "California" motorhomes were being assigned to the UK's Graduated VED bands because a CO2 figure was on their CoC. In that instance the DVLA agreed that all motorcaravans should be in TC11 or TC10 according to their weight and Californias were reclassified to the lower cost PLG category.

There's no compelling reason why a motorhome converter should fail to provide a CO2 figure on a CoC if that figure is available merely because the UK chooses to have a vehicle taxation system based around CO2 emissions. Similarly, when a motorhome is first registered in the UK, if it has ECWVTA and there's a CO2 figure on its converter's CoC, the DVLA expects the individual involved with the registration (eg. motorhome dealer or personal importer) to provide that CO2 figure when applying for the first licence for a new motor vehicle.

When I imported my Hobby I provided the DVLA with its CoC and (from the DVLA/NCC statement I provided a link to above) it would appear that the DVLA expects this to happen and will check for a CO2 figure.

I dion't know how this will pan out but, if I were in the market for a new PVC, I'd certainly do as the Caravan Club suggests and try to establish prior to purchase which VED category it would end up in and how much the VED charge would be.

Thanks Derek not that it matters now as I've been charged a great wad of additional tax for nothing. Fortunately I don't have to count the pennies but it is a monster con for no benefit at all. The tax authorities should award a gift to those who bolster their coffers not penalise them

Perhaps its a tax on ME for choosing a German vehicle. In reality its what it is a con.

If you are talking about buying a CAR and having to pay a First Year Rate of VED higher than the rate charged in subsequent years, then the nationality of the car is academic. The UK's emissions-related graduated VED system has been in place for about 12 years and applies to all new UK-registered cars irrspective of their country of origin.

If you are talking about buying a German-made MOTOR CARAVAN and having to pay a First Year Rate of VED higher than the rate charged in subsequent years, it might be useful to know what you've bought.

This thread is getting me worried, so looks like when the new van arrives if the emissions are on the CoC I have to pay a high first year duty & then slightly higher duty in subsequent years.

However just had a look at the CoC for my current van, although it lists all the emissions under section 46.1, in 46.2 it says Co2 Emissions /Fuel - not applicable.

Just hope the new CoC takes the same form.

CoC.jpg.fe922abbaea68e8e8651b69dc4991bac.jpg

Given that your next motorhome will start out as a minimalist FWD 'cowl' on to which an Al-Ko chassis will be attached prior to the Hymer integrated body being grafted on, I can't see how Hymer could be in a position to provide a realistic CO2 figure on the CoC unless they tested the emissions output themselves. So I think you'll be pretty safe VED-wise with an Exsis. (You could always ask the dealership who will be providing your Hymer if the CoC of current Exsis models has a CO2 figure - at least then it wouldn't come as a surprise if there is one.)

As I suggested earlier, it's PVC models that are most likely to be affected by the VED rule changes. The CC article says that the NCC is making motorhome manufacturers and retailers aware of the change in DVLA policy, and the Caravan Club "...hopes this will ensure that, wherever possible, the lower of the possible tax rates will be applied to particular models."

Plainly, if a converter chooses not to put a CO2 figure on a motorhome's CoC, that vehicle will be unable to be placed in a UK Graduated VED band. However, if a CoC carries a CO2 figure, presumably the Caravan Club (or the NCC) would not suggest to retailers that the CO2 figure should not be supplied to the DVLA when a motorhome is first UK-registered.

Gonna be fun...

Archived