Words of motorhome wisdom.......

Guest pelmetman

Tracker - 2013-10-30 10:03 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-30 9:33 AM

Steer clear of motorhome-related internet forums until you've read at least one book intended for novice motorcaravanners.

Ask lots of questions on this forum before you buy and get a wide variation of mostly practical viewpoints based mainly on actual individual experience not theory, but do be very aware of considerable bias from those with preconceptions and fixed ideas that their way is the only way - 'cos it ain't!!

What are you talking about Rich? I know my way is the only way.

rupert123 - 2013-10-30 10:08 AM

What are you talking about Rich?

I know my way is the only way.

I do appreciate that Henry, but at least you and I and a few others on here are not afraid to say so when we do make mistakes or get it wrong and then decide to change direction, sometimes at great expense, rather than try to have people believe that we never get anything wrong.(lol)

PS - heads below parapet time again methinks!!

Tracker - 2013-10-30 10:43 AM

rupert123 - 2013-10-30 10:08 AM

What are you talking about Rich?

I know my way is the only way.

I do appreciate that Henry, but at least you and I and a few others on here are not afraid to say so when we do make mistakes or get it wrong and then decide to change direction, sometimes at great expense, rather than try to have people believe that we never get anything wrong.(lol)

PS - heads below parapet time again methinks!!

Quite right Rich so here goes. Buying a panel van, what a mistake, would not want to repeat that one. Buying a Hymer another big mistake, always going wrong, very poor part ex, stuck to Uk vans ever since. Always sold on easily for decent prices, no problems so far.

rupert123 - 2013-10-30 12:34 PM

Quite right Rich so here goes. Buying a panel van, what a mistake, would not want to repeat that one. Buying a Hymer another big mistake, always going wrong, very poor part ex, stuck to Uk vans ever since. Always sold on easily for decent prices, no problems so far.

Buying a large coachbuilt and assuming the payload to be what the maker stated - big mistake.

Buying a panel van is not a mistake as long as the van is big enough inside to do what you want it to do.

Obviously there are limitations when you downsize but given the improved handing, cruising ability, ride, noise levels, performance, fuel use, ability to explore narrow lanes, our 6.00 metre panel van is a very good compromise between comfort and practicality and we have no intention of reverting to a coachbuilt - yet.

That said I still think that coachbuilts offer much more van for your money than panel vans.

No right or wrong - just different!

Be VERY careful when backing up onto levelling Ramps, drive fowards on to them if at all possible, AND if possible get someone to watch you 'up'. I tried it alone , backed staight over the top of the ramps !! they got jammed up into the rear wheelarches and broke part of the rear 'Skirts' cost £250. Spoiled my Day !

Agree about the 'wind out' awnings, ALWAYS secure them with either a Strap or some decent Guy ropes. even if you only intend to wind it out for half hour or so. A pain but better safe than sorry. just a wire peg through the 'Foot' doesn't stop it blowing over the van. sure there are more 'Tips' from experience. Ray

Buying a new Swift motorhome for the second time in the 90's. The first one leaked [fixed by Swift under warranty and without quibble] and I believed the spin that Swift had sorted out its build quality problems. Bought a second one - and it leaked. At the time, Swift were not the only builder of leaky motorhomes but were probably the best and putting them right.

When you are working, having to deal with motorhome issues takes up valuable holiday time. Dealing with water ingress is probably the worst.

I've never repeated the mistake because I did a lot of research on build quality, design and engineering.

Before you drive onto that nice pitch or stretch of grass, get out walk around it & jump up & down on it to make sure it is hard.

When you use EHU, put a plastic bag over the driver's mirror. If you forget to disconnect the bag reminds you, so you don't drive off still connected. Better still every time you start the van read out a checklist:-

Gas off

EHU disconnected

Steadies up

Rooflights shut

Windows shut

levelling blocks

water off

fridge to battery

Garage locked

Check site for items

Return site key

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-10-29 7:08 PM

Seeing as we should be a font of motorhome knowledge on here ;-)............

How about telling newbies about your mistakes :D.............and I don't just mean slagging of dealers *-)........

As they say;-)........................Confession is good for the soul :D.......

So time to fess up >:-)

Buying a "bargain banger " after reading a post on these forums. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-31 9:21 AM

pelmetman - 2013-10-29 7:08 PM

Seeing as we should be a font of motorhome knowledge on here ;-)............

How about telling newbies about your mistakes :D.............and I don't just mean slagging of dealers *-)........

As they say;-)........................Confession is good for the soul :D.......

So time to fess up >:-)

Buying a "bargain banger " after reading a post on these forums. ;-)

You know it makes sense :D.................

Steer clear of motorhome-related internet forums until you've read at least one book intended for novice motorcaravanners.

I know there have been some books suggested in previous posts in other threads, but could you (would you) recommend any titles in particular? Thanks.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ashpark - 2013-10-31 9:37 AM

I know there have been some books suggested in previous posts in other threads, but could you (would you) recommend any titles in particular? Thanks.

" Go Motorhoming Europe" an absolute bible on the whole subject. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-31 10:01 AM

Thanks, might get round to that once I've worked out how to go motorhoming in Scotland :-D

On a slightly different tack ( well alright, completely different), I see Aldi are selling Tyre Traction Tracks next week. £10 a pair and good up to 3.5 tonnes, anybody think they're worth buying?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ashpark - 2013-10-31 3:02 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-31 10:01 AM

Thanks, might get round to that once I've worked out how to go motorhoming in Scotland :-D

Don't be put of by the "Europe" bit, it covers almost everything you need to know for the UK, oh and don't leave it too long to discover across the water, and the same book may whet your appetite. ;-)

The Vicarious Book's publication that used to be titled "Go Motorhoming Europe" has evidently been re-named "Go Motorhoming and Campervanning" (see the link I provided above) possibly because the original title could be misinterpreted.

John Wickersham's "Motorcaravan Manual" concentrates more on the technical aspects of motorhome ownership than on using a motorhome.

Both books are currently available from Amazon for a total price of £26.50.

To cut costs, my advice would be to buy the "Go Motorhoming and Campervanning" book because of its wide scope and then get your local library to obtain a copy of the "Motorcaravan Manual" so that you can decide if that's also worth purchasing.

Archived