Handover next week, excited already!

willtravel

We are getting our first motorhome next week and have been told that the handover will take about 2 and a half hours.

Obviously it will all be important but some of it more important than other bits, which do you think are going to be the most important bits and why.

Is there anything I should particularly look out for?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Welcome to the madhouse!

Pay particular attention to how the gas / 12 volt / 230 volt / electronics and control systems all work and in particular how and when the battery charging and heating work as the controls can be counter intuitive and not at all easy to grasp until you have used them for real a couple of times.

When we change vans we do so mid week and always spend the first night or two at or very close to the dealer so that we can return the following day with any faults discovered - and there almost always are faults that the pdi or servicing missed.

Failing that try and make tour first trip to a site or a club rally where there will often be help and advice on hand.

We are a friendly bunch, well mostly, apart from the odd pit bull so never be afraid to ask as we all had to learn - and still are learning!

We got our first one a couple of months ago, and were equally excited. The handover also took over 2 hours, very thorough we thought. It included showing us the water system working. We didn't think to taste the water at the time.

We ended up driving away with a motorhome in which the whole fresh water system had been contaminated with diesel. The dealer has put his hands up and is fixing it, but it has been a right pain in the backside and we haven't been able to use it properly since we bought it.

This particular problem is very unusual, I'm sure yours will be perfect, but my advice is take absolutely nothing for granted. Apart from the water (best check there is to take off the filler cap and have a sniff in the aperture), lift any carpets and have a good walk over the whole floor checking for delamination. Ours had some but the dealer fixed it before we bought. Check everywhere you can for signs of damp, including under all the seats.

Basically, don't just rely on what the dealer decides to show you. I'm sure your new MH will be fine, good luck and enjoy.

If you GOOGLE-search on "motorhome hand-over" (omitting the quotes) you'll find plenty of useful advice. These are some samples:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20issue%20pdf/192%20get%20practical%20DAN.pdf

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20OAL/Get%20Practical%20handover%202%20may11.pdf

http://www.leisurerentalsdirect.com/pages/contentPage.asp?QN=351

http://www.tynevalleymotorhomes.com/advice/handover-demonstration

My own view (having trained people many years ago) is that an extended hand-over to someone with absolutely no caravan or motorhome background will be largely unprofitable. The more clued-up you can become in advance of the hand-over the better, so, if you can obtain (and read!) the handbooks that will come with the vehicle (or download them) that will help a lot.

The important thing in my view is not that you learn all aspects of how to use the motorhome at the hand-over stage, but that you ensure that you obtain all the paperwork relating to the vehicle and make sure it's 100% correct, and that you fully understand the terms and conditions of the warranty (or warranties) provided with it.

willtravel - 2013-11-01 1:13 PM

We are getting our first motorhome next week and have been told that the handover will take about 2 and a half hours.

Obviously it will all be important but some of it more important than other bits, which do you think are going to be the most important bits and why.

Is there anything I should particularly look out for?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Hello and welcome,

you now have to get used to waving at other motorhomers, go out and have fun.

What are you buying ? this may help to point you in the direction of what to look out for.

Good luck,

I once spoke to a dealer who said that one of their customer's video'd the whole thing for future reference.

If you have anything in writing about exactly what will be included (carpets, awnings, extra cushions etc), make sure you have it with you and check the equipment in the 'van against this list. Always make sure that you full inspect the 'van before you hand over the final balance.

And yes pay particular attention to how water and electric systems work (where's the fuse box and importantly at this time of year, where the frost release valve for the water heater is).

Have a great time with your new 'van...

Welcome to the forum

Remembering my first van and the hand over, I'm surprised that we managed :-D . Taking a viseo of the hand over maybe a bit over the top and you will probably miss some things anyway. Best just to take a pen and paper and jot down notes of some of the important stuff. If you don't understand something ask the guy doing the hand over, don't feel foolish that's his job.

A great response already, thanks.

Will have a look at the links later.

We have a friend coming who is a very experienced caravanner (I know its a dirty word) so he will linger in the background pointing out things.

Have downloaded the manual already and have read it a few times and have written some questions down.

Not likely to get back on here for a day or so, so just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers

Once again thanks for the tips and the good wishes too.

Have looked at the links supplied and as suggested have found some others via a search engine, all good info.

I feel a lot better prepared now thanks to all the hints and tips supplied by you all. I will carry on with the reading of the handbooks whilst we wait for the handover day to arrive.

Thanks for the help, I will post any major problems or amusing bits if they should happen.

BTW I rarely wave at anyone, I don't want to spoil your concentration or mine.

I went to see our new motorhome at the dealership yesterday. It had just arrived on Friday night from the manufacturer.

We are getting a coupe fo extras put in by the dealer but should have hand over doon too. Totally excited and it's our first motorhome so a lot of new stuff to take in.

Have a great time in yours.

As well as all the advice already given I would say dont forget the outside of the van, and under the bonnet. Most hand overs concentrate on the inside bar the water filler mains hook up point etc. We have had scratches on two of our new vans and a cracked roof vent on one (roof vent was not noticed until the first clean). Also get them to show you under the bonnet and explain where oil filler etc is. Pay attention while under the bonnet to the pipe leading from the winscreen scuttle to the right wing. It should be a black pipe in the left hand corner of the engine bay (as you are looking under the bonnet). I have had two new Fiats and these have been missing on both occasions (prividing you are getting an X250 van that is). Lastly after the handover, and before you leave the dealers, take all the time in the world to sit in the van, try things out, opening cupboards, etc and go over the van one last time. This gives you the opertunity to bring anything to the dealers attention and also you have the chance to ask about anything you are unsure off.

machra - 2013-11-04 6:06 PM

As well as all the advice already given I would say dont forget the outside of the van, and under the bonnet. Most hand overs concentrate on the inside bar the water filler mains hook up point etc. We have had scratches on two of our new vans and a cracked roof vent on one (roof vent was not noticed until the first clean). Also get them to show you under the bonnet and explain where oil filler etc is. Pay attention while under the bonnet to the pipe leading from the winscreen scuttle to the right wing. It should be a black pipe in the left hand corner of the engine bay (as you are looking under the bonnet). I have had two new Fiats and these have been missing on both occasions (prividing you are getting an X250 van that is). Lastly after the handover, and before you leave the dealers, take all the time in the world to sit in the van, try things out, opening cupboards, etc and go over the van one last time. This gives you the opertunity to bring anything to the dealers attention and also you have the chance to ask about anything you are unsure off.

Some good points especially about taking the time to go over it one last time BEFORE leaving the Dealer.

Thanks to all for the welcome, the tips and the good wishes.

We got ours new this time last year, they had already drained it down after the inspection they do before you get there. Just make sure you know how to make the bed up if it isn't fixed as that always takes a bit of sorting. Pay particular attention to the heating controls they can be another puzzle they are always different to the last van you had !! Ask which switches need to be on when on hookup?? we didn't know the charger had to be on even on hookup (the last van didn't)

You will probably spend all your spare time reading through the handbook

:-D which isn't a bad idea, even I do that and have been able to remind O.H of something Ive remembered. Enjoy your new van we had to wait until April of this year before we used ours! but it does give you time to get all your equipment and cupboards sorted as well as anything else you are going to have fitted. :-D

DO NOT be afraid to stop him/her anytime during the handover if there is ANYTHING you don't understand, his job is to get you to know how to operate things safely in your New Purchase,

I had a chap tell me not to stop him till he had gone through it all, Not on your Nelly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the original post, two weeks later.

Handover day......To be honest not the best of days!

30 miles into a 40 drive home and the brake failure warning came on momentarily and then went out, proceeded very gingerly along very dark and busy road, looking for somewhere to stop, warning light returned and went out again before I found somewhere safe to pull over.

Undid bonnet and checked brake fluid reservoir, level seemed ok, no apparent leak and brakes working fine so decided to continue, working on the logic that the message was not permanent so it could be a dodgy sensor. To cut a long story short we got to the storage place OK and went to lock the habitation door which appeared to lock but when you gave a firm tug on the handle it popped open!

After a lot of faffing about and confirming that security were on site all night we left it unsecured but with alarm on.

A long tense phone call with the dealer ensued in which I explained my concerns in concise terms!!

A visit from the AA the following morning showed the brake fluid was at a low level and the sensor was being activated as I went up and down hill and round corners. He was very thorough and after topping it up, checked for leaks, air in the system etc.

Two days later it went back to the dealer for the lock issue to be resolved, the brake fluid levels are stable and checked regularly

The dealers reaction to these issues was very positive and they went out of their way to resolve them in short order and recompensed us for the fuel and time wasted by us returning to them.

However I made the point as strongly as possible that if it had been checked properly by them in the first place none of this would have happened.

We have been away for four days on a sort of shakedown cruise and so far all now seems to be OK.

It will however take some time before confidence is fully restored.

My advice on handover is to check everything twice!! I had looked at the brake reservoir but had not seen the max line just the min line and assumed it was the max line.

Archived