Eurotunnel back to the UK

mildi

Hello,

Looking for advice, we are coming back to the UK in the next 10 days, this was a long trip so we only booked a one way on the way out. Is it better to book through C&CC with the 10% discount or just turn up at Eurotunnel and pay. We are towing a car and also have our dog with us, looks like it will not be cheap but not sure if there is a better value way, not ferry though.

Many thanks Mark,

takeaflight - 2013-11-01 7:10 PM

Don't just turn up, when I did that they quoted me £500 One way! returning to the the uk. I did a 180 and went to one of the hotels by the pet center and used their internet and got the return for £180, still a lot but better than the heart stopping £500.

Thank you very much. that was the kind of info I was looking for, will get on and book it.

Mark.

Rowan Lee - 2013-11-02 5:59 PM

Do you have any Tesco vouchers? We've just got our crossings free!

No Tesco vouchers, sadly our local Tesco is crap miserable staff and poor service, even walked out once and left all the shopping on the belt. Not sure why staff training said it was ok to greet the customers by saying "Hello mate"

just have to have the 10% C&CC discount.

Thanks anyway

The Tesco club card website (vouchers?) has been compromised.

Mrs BB tried to redeem one yesterday and was told it had already been used......by an unknown (to us) third party.

When we phoned Tesco, they were not surprised as it had been reported by many customers. We were advised to change our password and that they would resend new vouchers.....in February.

Be aware, these vouchers can be downloaded online, if you know how, and can be used ahead of the original printed ones, which is what happened to us.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2013/03/tesco-clubcard-fraud-victims-urged-change-passwords

bolero boy - 2013-11-02 7:19 PM

The Tesco club card website (vouchers?) has been compromised.

Mrs BB tried to redeem one yesterday and was told it had already been used......by an unknown (to us) third party.

When we phoned Tesco, they were not surprised as it had been reported by many customers. We were advised to change our password and that they would resend new vouchers.....in February.

Be aware, these vouchers can be downloaded online, if you know how, and can be used ahead of the original printed ones, which is what happened to us.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2013/03/tesco-clubcard-fraud-victims-urged-change-passwords

This has been reported on here before - I think it was last year.

Guest JudgeMental
Iain Strachan - 2013-11-02 10:51 PM

Hi I,m just interested in what is wrong with a ferry?

You probably enjoy the rest after along drive down to Dover...but for some of us in the south east it is a long time consuming and boring crossing ,and using the tunnel fast and efficient in comparion. and for those who think tesco vouchers come free, they are living in cloud cuckoo land

DFDS dover/dunkurke worse yet..by the time campers are allowed to board,the east europeans are everywhere with bed rolls out and already in bed....your lucky to get a seat...last time I ever use that route!

This was the first time in the motorhome going to Europe plus the dog,

We have done the ferries many times in the car and my work van, first time through the tunnel and apart from the fact that it is about £50 more than the ferry I prefer the tunnel. We have been away over six months so £50 is I guess a small price to pay so we can all stay in the MH. Never had a great experience on the ferry just a means to an end. Did think of heading to Spain and making this an even longer trip but MOT due in January and I guess the post is piling up.

I have spoken to a few people in MH who have taken the ferry from Portsmouth (not sure where in France) they told me their MH were measured when they got on the ferry and both were charged more £30+. One was told he had to reverse onto the ferry, don't think I would want to try that with a car and trailer (sorry was off on a tangent *-)

mildi - 2013-11-03 10:06 AM

We have done the ferries many times in the car and my work van, first time through the tunnel and apart from the fact that it is about £50 more than the ferry I prefer the tunnel. We have been away over six months so £50 is I guess a small price to pay so we can all stay in the MH. Never had a great experience on the ferry just a means to an end. Did think of heading to Spain and making this an even longer trip but MOT due in January and I guess the post is piling up.

I have spoken to a few people in MH who have taken the ferry from Portsmouth (not sure where in France) they told me their MH were measured when they got on the ferry and both were charged more £30+. One was told he had to reverse onto the ferry, don't think I would want to try that with a car and trailer (sorry was off on a tangent *-)

You do have to reverse onto the Fast Cat Ferry, from Portsmouth to Cherburg , but as you have a trailer, you may not be able to use that , as they don't take caravans on this craft, though do take coaches (usually with school kids, Little Darlings)

We like to use this crossing, as quick (3hrs) ,. It takes us that long to get to Folkestone/Dover Never been measured, with Brittany Ferry, maybe one of the other operators do

PJay

Spot on Judge, back in the day, I would drive down to Dover over night, at crazy speed and look forward to getting away from the car for a short while! We used to pay the extra for the club lounge, have coffee, read the papers etc. Now its 3days in van to get down. We did the tunnel, in January on the way to Spain, and yes its very good especially if you have a dog with you.

michele - 2013-11-03 10:12 AM

How many times do you manage to get away in a year ? why not try 10 tickets for £390 . That way when you come back after six months you can use one , trouble is using the others before the year runs out . .

Up until this trip we have only ever done 3 nights at a time in the MH at weekends due to my job, for that reason it was only ever in the UK. I hadn't had a week off for nine years (oh the joy of being self employed)

We enjoy life in the MH so much after the awful summer last year we agreed to stop work for a while and have a change of life, so we may look into the multi trip or we may just do another long one in the spring.

Who Knows.

Thanks for the idea, not sure if the £390 would include the car though?

PJay - 2013-11-03 10:37 AM

mildi - 2013-11-03 10:06 AM

You do have to reverse onto the Fast Cat Ferry, from Portsmouth to Cherburg , but as you have a trailer, you may not be able to use that , as they don't take caravans on this craft, though do take coaches (usually with school kids, Little Darlings)

We like to use this crossing, as quick (3hrs) ,. It takes us that long to get to Folkestone/Dover Never been measured, with Brittany Ferry, maybe one of the other operators do

PJay

We are nearly neighbours I'm in Eastleigh, well I may be soon!!!!!

:-D

Hi,

I have looked at those for the last few years, if I remember rightly there was something in the conditions that allowed you to transfer some of them ? is that still true, or was i dreaming LoL.

Only if it is, I wonder if it would be possible to perhaps share the cost ? with someone as 5 trips there and back are a few to many for my own personal use.

Brian

michele - 2013-11-03 10:12 AM

How many times do you manage to get away in a year ? why not try 10 tickets for £390 . That way when you come back after six months you can use one , trouble is using the others before the year runs out . .

Hi, Judge

Thanks for the link I haven't seen it before ? sound like what I'm looking for

Are you still in Benidorm, and if you don't mind what site are you staying on and how much is it, only we are thinking of heading that way for Christmas and the New Year

Brian

JudgeMental - 2013-11-03 11:48 AM

You can now share the tunnel frequent traveller scheme...have a look at thread I started on topic. add your name and you may well find someone to split with...

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/sharing-tunnel-frequent-traveller-deal/32491/

Guest JudgeMental

Yes still here! on Arena blanca, stays for 31days + are 13.10€, so about £11 a night

I was going to bump the thread in new year but there may well be others who want to do it this side of Christmas...just post your requirement 2 or 3 returns and time you want to book :-D

mildi - 2013-11-01 6:00 PM

Hello,

Looking for advice, we are coming back to the UK in the next 10 days, this was a long trip so we only booked a one way on the way out. Is it better to book through C&CC with the 10% discount or just turn up at Eurotunnel and pay. We are towing a car and also have our dog with us, looks like it will not be cheap but not sure if there is a better value way, not ferry though.

Many thanks Mark,

Mark, Eurotunnel in 10 days , camper van towing, with dog £174, just turn up if you want but it would probably be cheaper to hire a private jet

Mac

Archived