Chausson Flash 02

nickyv32

Hi there, I am new to this forum but I am very confused as to why when I turn my back that my Chausson electrics panel will not switch off, it clicks off and then when I turn my back it clicks on again, I noticed the other day that the pump was running so therefore took the fuse out because the pump light keeps coming on, any ideas please ? thanks in advance

Not only am I new to this forum, I am new to Motorhoming and am worried to death about wintering the vehicle, what can I miss and what can I do wrong, drained the vehicle and now I am wondering if the flushing unit on the loo is empty, nightmare, think I might just move in and forget my bungalow instead...Help x

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Chausson's Flash 02 has been around for a while (from at least 2005), so it could be useful to know the year of manufacture of your motorhome.

I'm guessing that Chausson will have installed an electrical systems based around products from the Italian company CBE. Such systems are relatively straightforward (or the earlier ones are!) with most of the 'work' done by a distribution-box and with the control-panel just being a switching unit with a few gauges and lights. If your system is CBE-made and spontaneously switching itself on, I'd suspect a fault with the distribution-box.

I think a Flash 02's toilet will use water from the motorhome's fresh-water tank for flushing, rather than having its own flush-water reservoir. If that's so, you can treat the toilet's flush as if it were an ordinary sink/washbasin tap when it comes to draining.

My own view is that, to maximise protection against frost damage to the water system (unless potable antifreeze is used) it's best to use compressed air to blow out residual water from the pipework rather than just relying on gravity and running the water-pump to clear out the water.

'Winterising' a motorhome is discussed here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Emptying-water-system-for-winter/29553/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Winter-draws-on-draining-water-from-tanks-and-pipework/29115/

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Diaphragm-water-pumps-/26046/?

http://www.keepfloeing.com/products-motorhome.html

I notice that there's a Flash 02 blog here

http://chausson-flash02.blog.co.uk/

that may be of interest.

RE: Draining down.

If your tank is onboard and easy enough to access,(under a settee base etc),you may/should find it easy enough to release the main feed pipe and just pressurize the system via that...

(..using the Floe video in the link Derek posted, as a guide).

This is the first year I've drained down in this way(...a bit early in the year maybe :$ )and I was fully intending to fit a Floe(or DIY version?)until I realised how easy it was going to be without one... ;-)

(..although I've yet to scramble about under the cupboards and take the bowl off the pump...)

We have a Chausson Flash S2 (2010 model), which I suspect has a similar electrical control panel to the '02' model. I sometimes have slight difficulty getting the master switch to turn off - it just flicks back on. I've found that a second press and hold for a moment, straight away after the first, causes it to turn off and stay off - but I do just watch all the indicator lights for a couple of seconds or so, to see it has turned off completely.

It's been the same for more than two years - or that is when I first noticed. But for me it hasn't been an issue.

Mike

• 1 month later...

A bit of resurrecting here -

My Flash S2 has started to do the same thing recently.

It occasionally goes into 'disco' mode too I've discovered!

I was checking the Oil on my car this morning and could hear this faint rumble which sounded like it was coming from the van. Sure enough the water pump was running [bone dry] because I'd drained down and left the taps open. The switch panel would appear to randomly turn itself on and then after a few seconds the pump and aux [unused] awning light switches activate.

I have refilled the system and checked the pump which is still working [shurflo - so decent quality] and then drained down again and simply removed the pump fuse.

I've also found, on occasion, that the switches do no always function/respond and this seems to be related to the aux switch, as when I hold this down the other functions become available.

Ironically it would appear to not go into random mode if left permanently on!

I have removed the PCB and checked the control box - nothing obvious, although I doubt there would be anyway. I shall remove the soft touch fascia tomorrow, and try the switches in a more tactile fashion, as this seemed to work earlier prior to reassembly.

Looks like this is a common failing then.

I have a Chausson Alegro 67 .nice van and my take on the draining off the water system is this.the van has a drain valve beneath the water tank and it is exterior to the van,simple to open and drain the tank completely.It has an onboard water pump fitted below a cupboard under a piece of plyboard that forms the base of the unit,the pump is acessable but I would not want to release the unions, either tank side or feed side to the taps,so I drain the tank and then run the taps untill they spit and gurgle and no more water is present,I then turn the pump off at the switch on the panel. My Chausson has Diesel powered heating and does not store hot water so no tank to drain,it does however have a small tank that has antifreeze in it for the heating,ie heat exchanger for blown air,so this does not need any draining,the toilet cassette however is a mystery,it flushes from the main tank,now drained so the way I see it if I have run the taps empty and left them open in the middle position ie hot and cold [mixer taps) and operated the cassette flush press switch till that splutters I have drained this as best that can be done.The van is in my garden on hook up and I check it daily and to date I have had no problems,despite several hard frosts,I can put an oilfilled radiater in the van if necessary but have so far not  felt this necessary.As the water feed pipes are not full and the taps are all open I feel that there is sufficient expansion space for any residual water to expand if it ever freezes so no damage will occur,fingers crossed.

Another S2 owner! I was beginning to think that I was alone.

Anyway, back to the thread - I have the same problem with switching off the electrics at the control panel and I have also discovered that a second firm push for a second or so does the trick. I'm very concerned to hear of the electrics switching on randomly but I don't understand why the water pump should run. On mine I have to switch on the panel and then switch on the pump using a separate button. Seems odd.

As I said previously -

After appearing to turn it off, mine will turn itself back on [at will] some time later, and as a consequence, activate the pump switch and the aux light switch.

Hence the involuntary pump start-up - which I think - in hindsight, has happened twice now - both times running dry.

If I leave the panel on then there are no problems with it going into random switch selection mode.

I'm pretty certain the switch panel needs to be left on to enable the solar panel to keep the batteries topped up anyway? - but to avoid further potential pump activation during lay-up I've simply removed the fuse.

mikejkay - 2013-12-28 11:13 PM

Another S2 owner! I was beginning to think that I was alone.

Anyway, back to the thread - I have the same problem with switching off the electrics at the control panel and I have also discovered that a second firm push for a second or so does the trick. I'm very concerned to hear of the electrics switching on randomly but I don't understand why the water pump should run. On mine I have to switch on the panel and then switch on the pump using a separate button. Seems odd.

Hi mikejay - pleased to hear you're another S2 owner! And yes, we've had no problems with the electrics/water pump coming on randomly. It is as you say, there's a second switch to activate for the water pump.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Just enquired about the price of a new control panel at £135 but it seems others have this problem and I would be well chuffed if I paid out that amount and it still did the same, think I might stay with removing the fuse at the moment....Thanks for all the replies

Archived