Waving

Charlie boy

I don't wave - although I will wave back - and am happy to talk to motorhomers on site. Given a choice, I will opt to pitch next to a motorhomer.

People on sites are becoming less engaging as a whole although I wonder whether that is because we simply want peace and quiet in our own company to get away from the pressures of communal living throughout the working week.

snowie - 2013-11-05 10:26 AM

I've not waved at anyone since about 1976; and then I was driving a 1958 "Big Healey"!

As for parking next to another motorhome on a site; not sure about that, don't share the herding instinct,

regards

alan b

Ditto - Usually try to park next to Dutch - they are so easy going.

always wave "when I can and is safe to do so"

why do I wave "no idea" was waved at by others when 1st bought MH and have just continued to do it I suppose

always talk to others on site even if just to say good morning, don't really want to get into long conversations about whatever or discussing our motorhomes but nice to be polite

laimeduck - 2013-11-05 3:26 PM

snowie - 2013-11-05 10:26 AM

I've not waved at anyone since about 1976; and then I was driving a 1958 "Big Healey"!

As for parking next to another motorhome on a site; not sure about that, don't share the herding instinct,

regards

alan b

Ditto - Usually try to park next to Dutch - they are so easy going.

Even if you don't try to park next to them I find that they'll park next to you even if you are the only two vans on the site!

I think that living in such a densely populated country encourages the herding instinct. Our home being our castle encourages us to behave slightly differently; I think,

regards

alan b

Always wave, kindred spirit an all that, I,ll park next to anyone any nationality but never to close, I have been on an Aire when someone has parked really close to us ,it was a chap and his Wife whom I took to be in their eighties ,he came to our van and asked us if we minded him being so close as he said he felt safer being so close, after that incident I never bother if some one senior parks close to us.  I may feel the same when I get to that age.

Cliffy - 2013-11-05 8:50 PM

We are wavers.

We go to Europe for a month in spring and each September.

We find that people on sites are friendier in spring than they are in September.

Any idea why that could be?

In spring they are motorhomes in September they are holiday makers, we noticed that after Easter last year in Portugal

We are relatively new to motorhomes and have just bought our first in July of this year. Previous to that we had been caravanners for 40 years.

Before we bought the motorhome we spoke to many motorhome owners especially whilst on holiday in France earlier in the year, and they were so welcoming and helpful and willing to share their experiences with us - good and bad. This is a different experience to that with the caravan where people now tend to shut themselves away - not like the days of yore.

We were told about the motorhome wave and true enough most do it, even our foreign neighbours - silly as it seems, it makes you feel as if you are part of a 'club' and yes we give a wave if safe to do so. in fact it is very much the same as Land Rover owners did with their Series and Defender outfits.

So far we have found the motorhome owners a friendly bunch and more than willing to have a chat - we don't need to live in each others pockets or pitch on top of someone else but a friendly smile and a little conversation doesn't go amiss.

Alan

Cliffy - 2013-11-05 8:50 PM

We are wavers.

We go to Europe for a month in spring and each September.

We find that people on sites are friendier in spring than they are in September.

Any idea why that could be?

They're fed up of waving by September! :-D

So who waves - I did a test

MHers - generally yes

Caravanners - generally no . What the hell is the difference?

Car drivers - generally no

Motorcyclists - generally yes

Motorcyclists in rain going round sharp bend - still yes

Motorcyclist on back in ditch - turned out he wasn't just waving to be friendly.

Pedestrians - mostly no I think. Will try to remember more when out of hospital.

Even if you don't try to park next to them I find that they'll park next to you even if you are the only two vans on the site!

I think that living in such a densely populated country encourages the herding instinct. Our home being our castle encourages us to behave slightly differently; I think,

regards

alan b

That is called snobbery . What a snob you are alan. ;-)

Always wave when safe to do so, but going against the flow of motorhomes who were heading for Lincoln show last year, I could have done with a cardboard cut-out on a springy base.

Anyone else like me who find themselves waving at minibuses, etc. as there are more & more PVC's (?)

We usually find other Motorhomers willing to have a chat & discuss various aspects or compare vans, unlike caravanners who do seem to keep themselves to themselves.

flicka - 2013-11-05 11:17 PM

Always wave when safe to do so, but going against the flow of motorhomes who were heading for Lincoln show last year, I could have done with a cardboard cut-out on a springy base.

Anyone else like me who find themselves waving at minibuses, etc. as there are more & more PVC's (?)

We usually find other Motorhomers willing to have a chat & discuss various aspects or compare vans, unlike caravanners who do seem to keep themselves to themselves.

Not minibuses but horse transporters, but I am going to specksavers when I get back to the UK. Still give em a wave :->

flicka - 2013-11-05 11:17 PM

I sometimes feel the need to wave at a Double Glazing van; but maybe that's because our van was just that in its' earlier life!

regards

alan b

Charlie boy - 2013-11-05 8:32 AM

Why do motorhomes wave on the road,then ignore each other on site ????? (?)

I know exactly what you mean, waving like mad on the road but when pitched up, its heads down and scuttling about. My wife often says the same as you.

Would you talk to any of this mob? Only if there was nothing else to do. I'm off to do a bit of scuttling myself.

Ha ha , only kidding alan , i must admit i do wave to other vanners mainly because they waved first , and i love to go on meets and talk to other motorhomers , theyre so friendly , well most of them , what i do hate is the ones that rattle on about how good their van is or where theyve been . Boring.

Archived