Insurance - Electric Bikes

alan

Morning All

Just getting down to the job of renewing my household insurance. In the past, I've insured my electric bikes through my household insurance but it's getting more difficult to get cheap quotes for house and contents without putting extra obstacles (electric bikes) in the way!

When I first purchased the bikes I tried to insure them on a separate bicycle insurance but the word "electric" seems to be a problem with some of the insurance boys.

How do you electric bike enthusiasts insure your bikes? They are not exactly cheap to replace, although one of my sons and all his cycling friends have bikes that cost much more!

Which insurance company do I go to? I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alan

I think we were with Sainsburys when my wife bought her electric bike and they said they didnt want to know, and separate insurance was expensive. As it was close to renewal time, i contacted a few companies and Saga said they would do electric bikes no problem, just needed to let them know the value if over £1500 so we switched. They even gave us more discount as we had the car and the van insured with them.

When we brought new push bikes a few years ago our house insurance was with Saga, they wanted an extra 100 quid to cover the bikes and when I read the small print it only covered them in the UK. Changed to M&S as standard policy covered any item up to £4000 including bikes worldwide, does not include electric bikes. I don't think that policy is still available to new business.

I'm in the process of insuring my Giant Twist, through an addition to our household policy with Natwest. It works out at between £110-£120 pounds a year, which covers every thing including third party while on the road. After asking around, it seems to be a competitive quote.

Hi Alan - when my wife had an electric bike there was no problem with it being included on our house and contents policy with Prudential. There was no additional cost because it was electric.The Pru is not cheap but whenever we have had to make a claim they have been fair, very helpful and quick. I valued such service.

We looked into insurance for our 2 Giant electric cycles when we bought them 15 months ago. All the quotes were prohibitively expensive. Our solution is to get a really good set of locks and use them to attach the bikes to immoveable objects when leaving them. Not ideal, I know, with £2800 of cycles chained up, but just how far do you go?

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies. I've been a little bit late coming back to you all to thank you, as I've been trying to sort out my household/bicycle insurance.

As mentioned in the postings, to take out a separate bicycle insurance is quite prohibitive. Saga gave me an exceptionally good quotation on the house and assured me that our bicycles were covered in the EEC - just before taking out this insurance, I asked them again about taking our bicycles onto the continent and they then informed me I was not covered (no fun, as we all know sorting out insurance is a minefield). The reason I queried this, my bank assured me for two years that our bicycles were covered in the EEC and then refuted this.

My last insurer was the AA who I've queried their world wide insurance on bicycles - this is taken out on 'contents away from home'. They have promised togive me in writing that I am covered. Do hope my research does help somebody!

Alan

Guest JudgeMental

Never say electric say pedal assist...all depends on value of bikes!

L&V about the best I have found, as they also cover expensive bikes (2K and over). My quote for london house went down from a renewal quote @ £1600 to £640 with L&V. Insured here and europe, must be locked to an immovable object..keep all receipts for insurance rated locks and bikes. happy e cycling :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-11-11 3:33 PM

Never say electric say pedal assist...all depends on value of bikes!

L&V about the best I have found, as they also cover expensive bikes (2K and over). My quote for london house went down from a renewal quote @ £1600 to £640 with L&V. Insured here and europe, must be locked to an immovable object..keep all receipts for insurance rated locks and bikes. happy e cycling :-D

Does that mean they are not insured on the van as that is a moveable object well that's the some insurance companies see it.

Blimey what do you live in Eddie a 10 bedroom mansion or is that just London rates? :D

Guest JudgeMental

dont think van counts... talk to insurers, but "immovable object" a common insurance phrase..unless maybe inside out of sight...and why security so important. and thinking of changing van as getting more expensive bikes, so not all the security would be nice, as its a real pain multi locking everything!

Lenny, a 4 bed detached house in a private road...london prices going bonkers again, another bubble well under way, and out of kilter with earnings..... thats what happens when a bunch clueless Tory rich boys dable with running an economy! would be laughable if not so tragic...

Guest JudgeMental
peter lambert - 2013-11-05 6:50 PM

We looked into insurance for our 2 Giant electric cycles when we bought them 15 months ago. All the quotes were prohibitively expensive. Our solution is to get a really good set of locks and use them to attach the bikes to immoveable objects when leaving them. Not ideal, I know, with £2800 of cycles chained up, but just how far do you go?

you change your insurer thats what.....enlightened self interest...insurance a must these days, along with locks ( 1 x D lock + I one chain lock) valued at 10% of bike value. Thieves with a wet towel and small battery disc cutter with diamond blade, can cut through anything in seconds *-)

when I was in lake Garda this summer there was a gang in a van going around stealing quality german bikes :-S

Our ebike insurance are on Household insurance with Aviva. Talking to our agent, It seems that a number of insurance companies have differing policies for Web purchase, "Cheap as Chips" on web comparison sites and Agency sites. Our "man" always seems to be a few £££ above a web quote but excesses, etc are less.

Plan B could be taking out cover through Cycling Tourist Club,Its a useful club campaigning for safer cycling, free legal service and insurance.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/member-benefits/bike-theft-insurance

Rgds

Hi All

One thing I forgot to mention in my second post, I queried with the AA what they considered immovable/secure objects for a bicycle and I explained that mine was locked onto a bicycle rack which, in turn, was locked onto my van - they considered a bicycle secured to a campervan was sufficient I did go through this point a number of times to make sure there was no misunderstanding. However, this was from the AA and I would treat this with caution as other insurance companies might have different interpretations.

Alan

Archived