Older rear lounge 6m or under PVC or low profile - what should I be looking for?

johnlc

Guest 1footinthegrave
Doesn't help when a forum user is having loads of problems with a brand new van in another thread with that very brand :-S

I had one of the earlier Globebus T3's - hence the name :-D

As Flicka pointed out, a very compact van, which was something of a rarity back in the mid-noughties.

It was a good van in most respects -

Structurally well put together, a great layout for a couple with a very spacious U lounge, and living in Cornwall the sub 6 mt and 2.10 mt width appealed to me. Being coach-built [and German] it had excellent insulation qualities, and was surprisingly bigger inside than a similar van conversion.....and before anybody starts, simply because of the shape!

One other thing it had was a nice big external locker, which for me personally is essential.

It was running a 2.8 td and mpg never dropped below 30 - even when pushed, and was quite a nimble drive.

I now own a Chausson Flash S2, so still sub 6 mts, but I'm up to 2.30 width.

So has it made a difference? Well, there are one or two local lanes that I prefer to avoid now, and I'm certainly aware of the extra width, especially as the mirrors protrude further, but it really doesn't bother me.

The up-side is that little bit of width makes quite a difference internally.

Personally, the S2 has suited us much better than the Dethleffs - but I can fully understand and do appreciate that compact vans offer a more 'relaxing' drive in certain situations.

If I had to sum it up - The extra width doesn't curtail my wanderings locally, but I do give more consideration to the route taken to get there - driving anywhere else there's little difference.

Rayjsj - 2013-11-05 8:47 PM

My choice for a rear lounge van would be an Autocruise Stardream of about 2006/7 vintage, Before Swift took over, and screwed them up :

http://www.nickwhalesportscarsdirect.co.uk/autocruise-stardream-372

Slightly more than you have targeted, but probably able to knock them down a bit. Ray

I love my Stardream, but wouldn't recommend it as a starter motorhome as it is far too long to maneuver easily.

Archived