First motorhome

Jim squirrell

Sorry lian for not answering straight away, I,m looking after my two dogs while my wife is in the canaries with her sister. Also I,m just getting used to the forum system. I realise I have to be specific with my comments as the threads don,t always follow. Back home was from shopping in the town. Still looking for first time tips. Look forward to hearing from you if you have info or tips. Jim

Hi Jim, I forgot to say welcome, as you have been reading the Forum. I think that you will see that it pays dividends to give as much info as you can with your question. If you have driven a removal van and a 7 tonner you should be alright with the size, just take time to set the mirrors up correctly, and use them often, make sure at junctions, where you have had to stop that no cyclists have come up the near side. You dont say if its a private sale or dealer, but try and get as good a hand over as you can. Make sure that you are getting all the bits, like hook up cable, gas bottles, that you were expecting. There are thteads on here already about this. Make sure that after you get it home and test all the bits, that you drain down the water system, you might have a little time yet until the frosts arrive but they are here already in Scotland.

Enjoy your van and use it as much as you can.

Cheers Iain

Thanks lain, it,s a private sale, and the owner has been very open and helpful. It,s a 2004 with only 18500 genuine on the clock. Serviced last week with new cam belt and habitation check done. Fingers crossed, all seems good. Currently only reversing sensors but I hope to fit a camera before spring. What is best for cleaning and polishing? How often should I drive it over winter?. Jim

Cleaning and polishing - if it's a kon Tiki, it'll be grp, like our bessaccar. Polished ours with autoglym, to take away the dullness then a good wax with plenty of carnuba in it.

It's hard work so we use a 12v polisher powered by a jump start/power station.

Once the hard work is done we use a foam lance with Demon Wash snow foam, a light agitation with a noodle sponge and a good rinse off.

make sure to get up and clean the roof off first (use the large skylight as an access hatch and a telescopic brush to get over the overcab) - if you don't clean the roof first you'll find that there'll be lots of black marks down the sides after it rains

For polishing I always use MER it can go on moist surfaces and still polish off it also makes wiping off the black smears from under the widows simple. John ;-) welcome to the forum and don't worry about mistakes they will be pointed out to you.

Guest JudgeMental
is it a private purchase or from a dealer with warranty, and have you had it independently checked for damp......welcome by the way :-D

Archived