Review camera - Waeco vs Vision Plus

Sportstest

Hi All,

Hope people don't mind the post, I have been searching various forums and net pages for a considerable time, and can't find any "real" reviews of reversing camera systems, and lot's of the advice on forums seems to be 2-3 years old....

So, I am about to collect my first motorhome in the next 2 weeks, it has EVERYTHING, except a rear view camera....and I think to help me park, and perhaps check clearance distances when overtaking on foreign motorways (it's RHD) I think a rear view camera would be most helpful.

As a part of the pre-collection checks the dealer can fit a rear view camera.

My options are: Waeco 550 (supply and fit for £599), or Vision Plus (I supply and they will fit free!!!)

My problem is that I really can't find any reviews on the Vision Plus, although some older posts (circa 2010) suggest Waeco is better, but then my pocket will be nearly 400 lighter!

So any advice would be really appreciated...specifically:

a) is any one system/manufacturer better than another, and

b) do I need a single or double camera (for reversing and rear-view)

Thanks in advance

Garry

A twin lens camera is best if you intend to use it continually. One lens is wide angle, 120 degrees and should be set to point downwards so as to capture the rear bumper and corners of the vehicle. If this camera is left on permanently you will will see a lot of tarmac whizzing by.

The second camera is narrower angle, 90 degrees and should be set to point back down the road, replicating what you would see in a rear view mirror.

A 7 inch screen is most people's preference.

On these types of systems the camera is powered from the monitor, so easier wiring. The monitor and rear view camera can be set to come on with the ignition switch and when reverse gear is selected the screen will automatically change over to show the reversing camera.

Expect to pay no more than £174 for a twin system with good quality Sony Based cameras or £118 for a single lens system. a little investigation may even show better prices.

HI,

I have a twin (Sony) camera system, you can switch from one to the other on the 7" monitor, one is set to rear view and the other for reversing. Bought off internet and fitted by a local company for about £300 total. Very happy with quality even in poor light and great when I am towing. I didn't like the reversing sensor as you don't know if it is long grass or a post it still beeps.

I have seen other single camera systems with a motor on the camera so you can adjust it from the cab but I would stick to the twin, I have had them on both MH I have owned with no problem.

Hi,

I had a vision plus 364 twin camera fitted on my Elddis Sunseeker 155 when I bought it new 2 years ago. No faults at all.

Essential bit of kit as there is no through vision and it's quite a long motorhome at 7.2 metres.

Monitor clips over factory fit windscreen mirror so looks very tidy and is in the right place.

Twin cameras are great and on all the time as I like to know what's behind me and how close.

Peugeot door mirrors are very good but you can't see everything.

Camera switches automaticly when you engage reverse and you can flick between cameras manually

on the move to check on bike rack etc.

Only other extras fitted from new were a larger capacity leisure battery (biggest that would fit) and an 85 W solar panel and battery master. Pretty useful when staying off hook up and for when the motorhome is in storage.

Hope this helps.

Andy

thanks all, most helpful.

I think I will look at the twin camera systems, as this will cover all bases (as it were). The system I had (almost) decided on did have a Sony camera, so I think that will settle it.

Also, thanks Andy, solar panel was already on there, as well as 3, yes THREE toilet cannisters, satellite system, a safe!!!! and loads of other bits I will need to work out how to use!

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

I am researching exactly the same point. At the time of purchase I asked for a twin lens camera to be fitted. I should have done some research but it was late in the day and I trusted the dealer (!). They invoiced me £940 for what was described as a Waeco system but on collection I find they have fitted Vision. I now have to find out which is the best system and the model I should be expecting for the price paid.

Any comments welcome

PLT - 2013-11-17 12:12 PM

I am researching exactly the same point. At the time of purchase I asked for a twin lens camera to be fitted. I should have done some research but it was late in the day and I trusted the dealer (!). They invoiced me £940 for what was described as a Waeco system but on collection I find they have fitted Vision. I now have to find out which is the best system and the model I should be expecting for the price paid.

Any comments welcome

Then, if the invoice says Waeco, they were contractually obliged to fit Waeco and not anything else. The price sounds about right for Waeco, depending on which combination of camera and monitor was fitted. I don't think you actually have to find out anything, just confront the dealer with his mistake and either ask them to fit what they invoiced for, or, if you are completely satisfied with what you have, to reimburse whatever is the cost difference between the Waeco units and the Vision Plus they fitted. A good idea of the price and range of Waeco units can be gained from Conrad Anderson's website.

Guest 1footinthegrave

PLEASE don't all fit reversing cameras, you'll spoil the joy for many of us, that is watching the ladies with wild gesticulations helping the bloke to reverse........................more often than not completely out of their vision ( I hope my missus isn't reading this ) . :D and dare I say it, especially the French drivers and lady assistants who are a delight to behold. ;-) especially the poor sod we saw recently going straight over his ramps, and ended up with it jammed up the wheel arch.

Archived