Less than 3500 Kgs

Spiritchaser

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-09 12:22 PM

However, these are not the only UK dealer who sell LHD vans, so you will find others on offer. You will not find many UK made A class vans for sale. Swift marketed an A Class some years back, called a Mirage, but I think it may have been a joint venture and was possibly made elsewhere. Someone will know!

So, in pracitcal terms, your choice will be German or French made vans, plus possibly an odd Italian. Hymer, Dethleffs (Hymer group), Burstner (Hymer group), Niesmann & Bishoff (Hymer group), Eura Mobil, and Frankia all produce potentially suitable vans in Germany that have some representation in UK. Of the French, Pilote, Le Voyageur (Pilote group) and Rapido are well reputed and have UK dealerships. Of the Italians, I think Laika (Hymer group) probably the only one worthwhile pursuing. There are others, as I'm sure someone will point out, but not all have a UK presence, so spares and dealer support may not be so easy to obtain.

Hope that helps: others will doubtless argue/add! :-)

Re:- UK "A" class vans -

The Mirage was produced in Italy by SEA for Autosleepers when they were part of the same group. http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.uk/motorhomes/mirage/mirage-5000-aire-cs632661.aspx there were also other layouts & a Marquis dealer special. (IIRC around 2000 - 2002)

Swift produced the Belair 730 & 750 models (around 1998 - 2000)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Swift-Bel-Air-motorhome-750-A-class-2-8TD-24-000-miles-/161144077488?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item2584ef7cb0

& Autotrail produced the Grand Frontier (2006 -2007) on Mercedes base. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/caravan-classifieds/details.aspx?id=661082&page=1

Brian, JudgeMental et al,

Many thanks for all your comments and particularly your time to respond to my questions. Very much appreciated. It seems the biggest impediment is trying to get something half decent to full time in less than 3500Kgs!

I will explore all your avenues and report back. If we end up going the Hymer B544, B584 style of van which seems to have a fair bit of support, so be it. We will make it work. I guess our budget doesn't help either. It can be increased but it was a starting point.

For some reason I can't get the "tinyurl" link to work but will persevere by other means.

Thanks again to all.

Guest JudgeMental

Germany really the best place to buy a van and from my lonely planet link looks like its possible, I have contacts and can ask but only if your interested....

Are you going to follow the sun, surely not intending to spend a winter in the UK, they can be real harsh! especially when you could be enjoying decent weather in Spain,Portugal or Sicily which are to hot anyway in summer, and this the best time for UK and northern areas.... still think Lennys idea of a reasonable quality low roof modern van spot on! and achievable within budget.

if you PM me your email address I'll send you the full length links if tinyurl not working for you...

Spiritchaser - 2013-11-10 12:18 AM

For some reason I can't get the "tinyurl" link to work but will persevere by other means.

....Brian has left a superfluous full stop on the end of the tinyurl links. If you remove that they will work.

FWIW, if you are reasonably selective, and careful with what you carry, then I don't think the 3500kg brief is too difficult (though you may have to compromise on some things depending on what is available at your time of purchase - which may well be at the time of highest demand, but there should be some good px 'vans around). Browsing various dealers websites pulls up a good few 'vans with almost 700kg of published payload, around your budget, and with a variety of layouts.

Remember, size is going to be an issue for more reasons than simply weight. If you want to 'do' Europe, you probably want something that will provide you decent access to places of interest, and many of these can be tight for both approach and parking.

If you head off into Southern Europe during the winter months, then the level of 'winterisation' required may be somewhat lower, and though I acknowledge Brian's comments on potentially better insulation of A-Class vans, this is only so if you are prepared to live with windscreen insulation screens semi-permanently mounted, and you will be restricting your options to a smaller pool of vans (potentially at the more expensive end of the market for size and age). Don't write-off a standard coachbuilt; it is relatively easy to add a curtain to the rear of the cab to close it off, and significantly improve heat retention.

Winterisation is an issue for all year-round use, however, and I wouldn't countenance a 'van with, for instance, an external, underfloor fresh water tank. In general, Continental rather than UK 'vans tend to be better 'winterised', and the chances of getting spares and repairs etc. for a Continental 'van in both Britain and on the Continent are indubitably better than those for a UK-built 'van (where there will be no dealer presence at all on mainland Europe).

Guest JudgeMental

where there is a will there is a way.....

I'm talking to some German dealers re a new van, so asked dealer that a few of us use, the situation with non EU visitors..and like I thought they do this regularly *-)

"Because of your Question regarding the foreign Customers. We have a lot of customers from abroad, USA citizens, Australians, People from new Zealand.

For them it is not possible to register the car in Germany, when they don’t have a registrated German Address. We can register the cars on our company, but the insurance is very expensive for us then. So we often have to make very high excess."

Archived