Snow Chains

AlanS

We are contemplating a trip to Holland and Germany to see the Christmas Markets and was wondering if anyone has done it before and if so did they take snow chains with them ? If you did have them or used snow chains what type did you use - our AutoTrail has alloy wheels so possible risk of damage from some type of fitments.

We are not worried about the main routes as they are normally kept clear of the white stuff, it is just when you get to smaller towns or the minor roads to the site or on the site itself that may be of concern.

Alan

I understand that Germany requires  one to have Winter Tyres on our vans in Winter, I asked a German about this only a few days ago in Italy and he said that was right  but it is not enforced much, but said that if you were involved in an accident   in  bad conditions and did not have Winter tyres you could be the fall guy.
   I had to fit snow chains to my van in France  one trip , I had to buy them at that time too, cost me 125 Euros , I fitted them with no problem and had to keep them on all the way through the Veilha Tunnel as the ice was so thick on the roads that I would not have got to the tunnel entrance with out them on, the tunnel had no ice in it of course but I could not stop in it, to take them off, Police were there turning vehicles back to Spain if they had no chains, French law states that you must have chains IN the vehicle if  in the snow  line, I don't see the chains doing damage to the Alloy wheels as they fit on the tyres and don't touch the wheels. 
  My chains are no longer any use to me  as I bought them to fit the larger wheels on my Tag Axle Hymer and my now van has smaller wheels, must sort them out and sell them sometime.

Rowan

Thanks for the info - had a look but there are limitations as stated on their website as follows:-

"You can use AutoSocks on these roads but AutoSock are only regarded as "snow chain equivalents" in Germany, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Slovenia and now France. Everywhere else you will need to carry snow chains even if you also have a set of AutoSocks.

When the snow chain signs appear on French roads, you will need to display a sticker (which we can provide) for your AutoSocks - giving some additional information in order to comply with the French national standard.

It's also worth mentioning that although AutoSocks provide excellent traction - they cannot rival the performance of chains in extreme conditions (steep slopes, hair pin bends, patchy ice). Ideally, we suggest you take a set of chains and a set of AutoSocks - to enjoy the best of both worlds!"

They look good however from the point of using them with alloy wheels as definitely no risk of damage.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, I see what you mean. We are only driving through France to get to Spain and have no intention of going anywhere near hairpin bends or steep hills! It will be straight down the motorway, only deviating to find an overnight stop. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Archived