fuse box chatter

bodach

We have a 04 plate Ducato Mclouis Lagan. Sometimes when the ignition is turned off there is a loud chattering noise from the fuse box behind the passenger seat. This eventually stops. I think I have isolated it to fuse F3 which controls the electric step according to the book. Trouble is we have no electric step! Anybody else had a similar problem? If so what did you do about it? Sometimes you have a bit of good luck. Two days after a successful mot test one of the rear indicators failed due to a broken connection behind the light cluster. Easily fixed and a bit of a pain but a couple of days earlier would have meant a wasted 115 mile round trip for an mot failure.Where I live test stations that can take anything bigger than a panel van are rare.

Can't help specifically but fuses can't chatter but relays sometimes can when it is either on the blink or maybe just has a dirty terminal or bad contact causing the power to fluctuate or maybe the item it feeds is temperamental?

Can you identify which part is chattering and either ask it nicely to stop or let one of our more techy than me guys on here advise?

bodach, if you private message me you email addy, I can forward you what I think is the correct manual for your control box/fuses.relays. You will find it most helpful if you do not have it. Without it then if I refer to relay numbers and connectors in a aid to fault find it will fall on deaf ears.

You are correct F3 is for steps, but there is no relay associated with it.

One test you can do is if you have an outside light, turn it on the habitaion lights at the control panel, then see if the relay chatters or not, repeating with the hab lights turned off. If it ony does it with the lights 'on' repeat with the external light switched on and off. I am trying here to see if it is the external light disable relay RE6 which means nothing to you without the manual I have. You may also have a fault with the D+ connection to the alternator which is not fallng all the way to Zero volts when the engine is stopped. Of course it could be a whole host of other things, but this would be the area to test 1st, D+ from alternator and function of all the relays from the control panel - internal and external lights,and pump relays. The relays associated with D+ from alternator are the Charge coupling relay (Slave charge relay) , external lights, and Fridge 12 volt supply relay.

Anyway PM me your addy and I can forward what I have in a pdf file.

Archived