Interior Lights Halogen to LEDs

ap climber

I needed to change a interior halogen bulb unit in my Hobby Van Exclusive 2011 and this seemed to me to be a good time to change over some my interior lights to LEDs, as Halogen bulb units seem to eat power when away from hook up.

I aimed to change the 5 x MR11 12V/10W (two pins at the back) spot/reading lights to bright LED bulb units and 3 x MR5 12V/10W (to pins at the back) in one light console over the table to Warm LED bulb units.

Unable to get these locally so far from Maplin, Tow Sure and to local agents but one suggested that even if I got these off the net, I must also change a transformer or transformers for this conversion to LED light units.

Could any one or MMM experts advise please?

thanks

....I've done exactly (almost) this on a similar (though 2010) Hobby Van Exclusive with items from Aten Lighting.

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk

No need to change anything else (the same will apply to other suppliers, though it does make sense to ensure that the replacements are tolerant of voltages up to c 14.5v (the maximum output of the charger when on hook-up )).

I say exactly, because though I've replaced the MR11, I found it easier to source G4 replacements (towers) for the over-table light (if you have the cluster with two different types of bulb/fitting). Three bulbs on at once is sufficient, the two sets are separately switched on mine, and I rarely use the "spots" in this unit; only on hook-up. (frankly, we rarely use the over-table light anyway, the other MR11 spots proving sufficient.

I used "warm white".

Buy the best you can get. There are some cheap Chinese units out there that don't give very good lighting and don't last long. Sorry AutoTrail we love you really but I have to admit that I've had to replace two of the spot bulbs that came as standard. The new ones are very much brighter with a better quality of light and so far none have failed. Don't go for the ones that are made up of a multitude of small LEDs they are old generation at best.

Unless you camp with lots of lights on in the evening, or camp a lot in winter, or stay off grid for more than a few nights at a time, I really can't see the point for the minimal that you save on battery power?

On the other hand if you are just replacing failed or inadequate wattage lights then using leds makes sense.

I only brought cheap ones, some from UK supplier, some from Hong Kong both from ebay. They have been in the van for over 3 years all still working perfectly, better light output than the halogens they replaced and only use a 10% of the power.

Make sure you get the the SMD type with at least 12 chips.

Having fitted a couple of LED lights in place of halogens it is very evident that they run much cooler, this was to be expected due to the lower wattage but the difference was surprising.

Another reason to install LEDs.

We recently changed the halogen bulbs in our Hymer for LEDs. We checked out prices at the NEC show to be told that the G4s were "£5 each but as a show offer -10% so just £45" for the ten we needed! I then went onto eBay where I found the ten LEDs for £6.99 including free next day postage!! If you are interested in saving some money search eBay for item number 390683889755. We've used this type of LED before and found them to have a long life and also no need to change other components.

Guest 1footinthegrave

It may be scaremongering I do not know, but apparently cheap ones can set on fire long before any fuses trip. don't blame me the messenger, but I bought mine from here, especially having bought some cheapos that started twinkling and failing, and also some duff ones from a supplier mentioned in this thread that did not want to know when some of his failed as well, also remember if no one else has mentioned it they should be "voltage safe" as we do not have a constant 12 volt supply in our vans.

We have a total of 16 lights in our PVC, so halogen was always a battery killer, now it's not an issue at all even if we had all of them on together.

The ones listed do not need any form of driver, just a swap for swap with no hassle.

. http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-11 8:24 PM

.....especially having bought some cheapos that started twinkling and failing, and also some duff ones from a supplier mentioned in this thread that did not want to know when some of his failed as well.....

I can only find one supplier named on this thread (Aten Lighting), and as I recall, (unless you had a further and later problem) this is NOT the supplier you had any issues with (indeed, they followed up your request for some alternative replacements).

I particularly remember since the issues and response you had (from U*tral*ds) mirrored my own disappointing experience, which I had already commented on in the forum, and re-iterated on your own, complaining thread.

Just wouldn't want to slag off Aten unnecessarily, as I've found their products very good in long term use.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Apologies, you are correct, I must be "Ultra" careful in future whom I would not buy from again. ;-)

I'm impressed by your memory.

I've bought about 20 LED bulbs from Ultraleds - two have failed.

Of these, one overheated, smoked and came apart (Over my wife's head while she was reading in bed. How she did laugh!) and some of the LEDs on the other bulb ceased illuminating.

These bulb failures were some time ago, but the reaction from the Ultraleds guy I spoke to about the faults matched Dr Harold Shipman's bedside manner. Of course things may have changed, but I'm of the once bitten/twice shy persuasion.

The Ultraleds website is a useful source of information, but I would not buy from the company again.

I went to Aten Lighting (web site address given by Robinhood) for my Hobby Van T500; a mix of bright white for reading lights and warm white for the others. Not cheap, but after 18 months with no problems I've found them a real benefit, especially off hook-up. Fortunately I live only 8 miles from their place in Melton Mowbray so made an appointment and went to see them. Found them professional to deal with.

Richard.

I have replaced all the lights in the fifth wheeler with leds,got them 2yrs ago at peterborough show from i think aten lighting.One failed quite quickly so went back to them at this years show,i couldnt remember who i got them from so said to aten guy,i think i bought these from you last and this one has failed,he says you did,he replaced it and gave me a discount on there further 6 i bought.They make a huge difference to battery when off ehu

We changed the halogen spot used for reading in our Mondial.It caused the charging unit under the bed to 'ping' and the noise would continue for a time after the light was put off' which was really irritating when trying to sleep.We were told the pinging was caused by the halogen bulb using more amps.The thing is it did not happen every time we used it.We are confused....By the way,so far so good with the LED

Vivien

ap climber - 2013-11-12 9:48 PM

Many thanks

Aten lighting called me to day on home number but I missed their call - so still work in progress.

Shame that we came passed Melton Mobray returning from Lincoln recently from the Camper UK Rally

Following my original post, just confirming that the 5 MR11 spots in my 'van were replaced by the 6 LED units, and the 3 standard G4 bulbs in the overhead light (tubular shades) were replaced by the 15 LED G$ Tower (all in Warm White from Aten).

The smaller overhead spots (MR8?) were left asis, and are used mainly on H/U.

• 1 month later...
Ian03/54 - 2013-11-11 8:10 PM

We recently changed the halogen bulbs in our Hymer for LEDs. We checked out prices at the NEC show to be told that the G4s were "£5 each but as a show offer -10% so just £45" for the ten we needed! I then went onto eBay where I found the ten LEDs for £6.99 including free next day postage!! If you are interested in saving some money search eBay for item number 390683889755. We've used this type of LED before and found them to have a long life and also no need to change other components.

Sorry to go back to an old post but I hope to be getting my "bus" soon. I am guessing the bulbs maybe better replaced as I will want to do a reasonable amount of off site parking-up as Scotland is on my list of calling places

I followed your ebay number link but I am a real numbie when it comes to electrics. Could you tell me which might be suitable out of this lot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gzled/m.html?item=390687223912&ViewItem=&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

dippingatoe - 2013-12-21 3:32 PM

Ian03/54 - 2013-11-11 8:10 PM

Sorry to go back to an old post but I hope to be getting my "bus" soon. I am guessing the bulbs maybe better replaced as I will want to do a reasonable amount of off site parking-up as Scotland is on my list of calling places

I followed your ebay number link but I am a real numbie when it comes to electrics. Could you tell me which might be suitable out of this lot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gzled/m.html?item=390687223912&ViewItem=&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Hi dippingatoe,

Finding the correct bulbs is a matter of matching the shape and arrangement of the connection pins on the end of the bulbs. There are so many different types that without knowing what is fitted to your "bus" it is impossible for me to say which ones you would need, MR11, GU4, MR5 or whatever. Then you have a choice of warm white or brilliant and then how bright you want then, for background lighting or spot lights for reading by? Sorry but you need to seek advice from sellers when you have the bulbs in your hand, so to speak.

Archived