base vehicle choice

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Looking at a few new vans: what are the main differences between the Citroen and Fiat chassis please.

both seem to come in 148 bhp quise..but remember earlier discussions regards the 2.2 citroen having a ford unit...what other differences are there..getting mighty confused. citroen tend to be a bit cheaper than the Fiat chassis.....

JudgeMental - 2013-11-09 9:19 AM

Looking at a few new vans: what are the main differences between the Citroen and Fiat chassis please.

both seem to come in 148 bhp quise..but remember earlier discussions regards the 2.2 citroen having a ford unit...what other differences are there..getting mighty confused. citroen tend to be a bit cheaper than the Fiat chassis.....

.... apart from the engine choice, very, very little.

Up to and including the '150' option the Citroen is the Ford/Peugeot 2.2 'Puma' engine (the Fiat in this output range is its own 2.3 engine). The 180 engine is common to both makes.

You may find a little difference in the bundling and availability of options, such as steering wheel controls(and, say, standard radio brand), but fundamentally, other than the above they are the same.

(It's long been the practice for each of the Sevel makers to do separate deals with suppliers of tyres, lubricants, etc. So you may find the tyre brand and recommended oils vary).

Patently, you may also want to look at what the current warranty arrangements are (but if you're buying abroad, I suspect that would have come under scrutiny anyway).

I have a 2014 French Globecar brochure that suggests that all models in the "D-Line" PVC range are available in France on a Fiat Ducato or Citroen Jumper base.

The brochure prices of basic Fiat-based Globecars are all around €1600 higher than those of equivalent basic Citroen ones. This might be explicable when there's a significant difference in powerplant (ie. where Fiat fits their own motors and Citroen fits theirs), but the price difference is still present when the 3.0litre motor is chosen. For example, a Ducato-based Campscout with 3.0litre Multijet motor is priced at €48,930, whereas a Jumper-based Campscout with 3.0litre HDI motor is priced at €47,310.

I asked about the price differences when we visited a French Globecar dealership last month. The dealer told me that the 2.2litre engine in the Jumper came from Ford and there had been lots of injector-related problems with that motor, so his choice would be a Fiat motor. However, when I asked why there was a price difference between 3.0litre-engined Ducato/Jumper Globecars (as the motor was the same in both), he couldn't say.

There's absolutely nothing in the 2014 price list to suggest that a Fiat-based Globecar has a higher, of different, basic standard specification to that of a Citroen-based one. It might be possible to specify certain base-vehicle features (eg. "Traction Plus") for the Fiats that (apparently) would not be available for Citroens, but that should have no effect on the price of the basic model.

I also asked a UK Globecar dealership about this, but he had no answer either. However, he wasn't really in a position to comment, as he told me that all Globecars marketed in the UK are Fiat-based. He also said also that the cost of a LHD Globecar ordered in this country would be the same as for an RHD one.

Guest pelmetman
Perhaps the question should be.......is there a reliable base vehicle to choose? ;-)................As they all appear to have their foibles *-)..............

If you fancy getting your own conversion done I will have (when I get back to the UK) a one year old Ducato maxi LWB electric folding heated mirrors, factory fit reversing camera, Cruise control, front fogs, blue&me Bluetooth, aircon, daylight run lights, steering wheel controls. only used it for 7 months and has the remainder of the Fiat 3 year warranty) AA breakdown cover. I would love to do it myself but don't want to get rid of my Adria.

mildi - 2013-11-09 12:04 PM

If you fancy getting your own conversion done I will have (when I get back to the UK) a one year old Ducato maxi LWB electric folding heated mirrors, factory fit reversing camera, Cruise control, front fogs, blue&me Bluetooth, aircon, daylight run lights, steering wheel controls. only used it for 7 months and has the remainder of the Fiat 3 year warranty) AA breakdown cover. I would love to do it myself but don't want to get rid of my Adria.

Forgot to say it the 150 BHP

Guest JudgeMental
mildi - 2013-11-09 12:04 PM

If you fancy getting your own conversion done.

thanks but would rather have my teeth pulled without anesthetic...anyway only interested in LHD ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-09 10:22 AM

I have a 2014 French Globecar brochure that suggests that all models in the "D-Line" PVC range are available in France on a Fiat Ducato or Citroen Jumper base.

When our van was ordered in 2010 we specified Citroen as we have dealer a few miles from us, but when it had to be 'reordered' late 2010 one change was to Fiat, Globecar at that time saying they had never build any on a Citroen base so where only confident on giving delivery date for Fiat.

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-11-09 2:33 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-09 10:22 AM

When our van was ordered in 2010 we specified Citroen as we have dealer a few miles from us, but when it had to be 'reordered' late 2010 one change was to Fiat, Globecar at that time saying they had never build any on a Citroen base so where only confident on giving delivery date for Fiat.

german dealer some of us use has both advertised, and citroen cheaper. and as I know know why, will stick with Fiat for better or worse :-S

More telling, the upmarket vans tend to all be on Fiat

Historically, a few motorhome manufacturers have chosen to use a mixture of base-vehicle makes for much the same models. Long ago Auto-Sleepers used to mix Fiat and Talbot and, more recently, Rapido mixed Fiat with Citroen. When Rapido did this Fiat's customer service was generally acknowledged to be appalling and the French motorhome press joked that this was why Rapido gave buyers a Citroen choice. Not too long ago one could have Autocruise PVCs on a Fiat or Peugeot base. Possl/Globecar is odd though, as there's been the choice of a Fiat and Citroen base-vehicle for years.

Looking at 2014 German price-lists for Possl and Globecar, it becomes apparent that a Possl model will be €500 cheaper than the equivalent in the Globecar range and that (for the same model/same specification) a Citroen version will be €1500 cheaper than a Fiat version.

For example, a Possl Roadcruiser FR (3.0litre motor) is priced at €41999 (Citroen) or €43499 (Fiat), while a Globecar Campscout FR (3.0 litre motor) is priced at €42499 (Citroen) or €43999 (Fiat). As far as I'm aware - ignoring minor differences like decals and the radiator grille - a Possl Roadcruiser FR and a Globecar Campscout FR (both with the 3.0litre motor) are technically identical.

The higher basic price of Fiat versions of Possl models was mentioned in "Camping-Car" magazine, but no explanation for it is given. It's evident from the Globecar/Possl price-lists that certain options (eg. automatic transmission) are only available if the Fiat base-vehicle is chosen, but (as I said earlier) that doesn't explain the €1500 'Fiat surcharge' on the basic Citroen price when all else is (apparently) equal. It would also be worth knowing why Possls are priced €500 below Globecars.

Archived