Hymer 2013 a-class glass rattle

Brock

The window on the driver side rattle on poor road surfaces. The rattle seems to emanate from where the metal edge of the fixed window comes into contact with the glass on the sliding window. Applying hand pressure to the sliding glass stops the rattle as does jamming cardboard into the gap between the edge of the fixed glass and the sliding glass.

I've taken the rubber seal off the window and treated it with a vinyl cleaner/protectant and this gave me 60 miles of rattle free cruising. The rattle has started again on poor road surfaces.

There would appear to be a foam/bristle strip to separate the metal edge from the sliding glass but this is less substantive than on my previous rattle free Hymer. I have thought about replacing the foam/bristle strip for something more substantive but I don't know how to remove the sliding glass to get at the strip.

The dealer has said it has come across this problem before and hasn't found a long term solution other than replacing the window which it has offered to do. I'm surprised replacement is the only solution. I'd prefer to explore other options before going down that route to avoid a day out to the dealer [at least].

Has anyone any possible solutions before I admit the dealer is right and get it to fix a new window?

Take the dealer's offer. Means you are still dealing with your supplier and they are aware of the problem, in turn if problem not solved by replacement you can go back to dealer.

If you try to DIY you have no future recourse to dealer.

Docted

docted - 2013-11-09 4:11 PM

Take the dealer's offer. Means you are still dealing with your supplier and they are aware of the problem, in turn if problem not solved by replacement you can go back to dealer.

If you try to DIY you have no future recourse to dealer.

Docted

Seconded! Good advice.

I know you are right but I was hoping someone would have a simple cure that I haven't considered. My new dealer has yet to build my confidence in them and I just cannot imagine its proposal makes any sense. I had 13 years with the Hymer people in Preston and over three years with the legendary Peter Hambilton - 5 years with an Arto and 5+3 with a Hymer. I never had reason to doubt them. I suppose it will take time for a relatively new dealer to build up the same level of expertise.

Still, if the dealer persuades Hymer that the solution is right, and it fixes the problem, I'll give credit where it's due. I was impressed the the overall standard of the PDI .

• 2 months later...

Just an update.

Hymer refused to replace the window and ordered the dealer to carry out some repairs. The dealer did and immediately informed me that they hadn't worked. To its credit, the dealer went back to Hymer the same day and finally persuaded Hymer to replace the window.

The lighting plinth over the kitchen unit has fallen out for the third time [dealer said it had fixed it] and this dented the side of the wardrobe and scratched a kitchen cupboard door. My overcab bed is still not lying level when down.

Hymer build quality?

Brock, we have an 06 B544 SL and that too is great. The build quality is solid and fortunately have no intentions of swapping it. I am very surprised that Hymer have gone down the route of flimsy fixtures and fittings, but I suppose in this economic climate something has to give. :-(

I hope the new window works, at least your supplier sounds on the ball and is giving good service.

• 4 weeks later...

Dealer replaced the window and it is now rattle free. The dealer also packed the passenger door with foam so that is now rattle free.

I fixed the lighting plinth using extra strong velcro. The dealer has checked it and says its a good fix. Velcro will ensure we can remove the plinth if we ever need access to the lighting. The original plastic clips that should hold the plinth are still in place.

I haven't asked the dealer to look at the bed again. That can wait as it doesn't affect sleeping.

The Customer Service Manager and I had a candid email exchange that has gone a long way to boosting my confidence in the dealer.

I have not named the dealer so far because I believe it is better to give it the chance to solve the problems before publicly criticising. I said I would give credit where credit was due if the dealer was right about the window. So I publicly thank Hymer UK otherwise known as Travelworld.

Reverting to the window rattle that's been cured, a piece of leather in a wedge shape covers many problems rattles, For an offcut of leather go to a shoe repairer who may even trim it at an angle for you otherwise any boot sale for an old leather belt, the advantage with a belt is that the spare can hang down so its not lost inside the door.

Or - use part of a leather handbag.

Archived