New van no oven. Double skillet wanted

Will86

Guest JudgeMental
enlighten me..why do you need an over or oven substitute...Additionally, if considered essential why can't you looses a bit of a cupboard and have one fitted....ponder while moi has a drink..............NEXT! :-D

Sorry I can't help Will as I've never even seen one let alone used one, but hang in there as someone may be able help once we get past the pointless and unhelpful postings.

They are still around but cheap they ain't - just type 'double skillet' into Google and up it pops as if by magic!!

Guest pelmetman
We have one, useful pan for our kinda cooking.................although I cant say the roast dinner cooked in one is as nice as the one I cook in our campers oven ;-)........

Why do I need an oven ? in some ways I don't, but I'm seeking all the alternatives to what we now have now which are a grill and gas rings. (In a new VW Nexa)

We tend to eat prepared meals when away therefore an oven is the best method for this and we don't use sites, mainly visiting steam shows and scenic points

Its easy to make a steel box for use on gas rings as an oven but I'm keen to investigate the Skillet which is the same principal but circular

Well how's about that then, I can't think what's brought on Eddie's sudden enthusiasm but love it all the same.

Its true I have a good understanding of those from the 'Smoke' having worked with many over the years and found them some of the most open and natural speaking people around.

I remember the 'Demo' at the Caravan show, by the Lady from D&F promotions (think she is the owner or joint owner), she cooks almost everything, from simple pork chops and Veg, to a full Christmas dinner with turkey etc., She made it look very easy. I think she has the demo on their website.

I was going to suggest a 'Remoska' oven too, but they are Mains powered. Ray

We have no oven and don't want one. the Smeg grill that is fitted is coming out over the winter so we can use the space as an additional cupboard. We have just got a 4 litre pressure cooker and find this fantastic and quick as we have used one at home for years. However the people we have spoken to either love or hate the double skillet but i must say its a bit expensive for what it is..

Will85 - 2013-11-10 12:56 PMAre they still around? The alloy one seems better as its lighter. Any comments advise please

We had two Skillets, the large and small, but my wife stopped using them because they are aluminum and she  believes that using aluminum cooking  pans can cause  Alzheimer's , I think that is what she said, can't remember, any way we now use a large  coated  frying pan with a glass lid and  one can do everything in that. that  a skillet can do. 

Never used a pressure cooker and if its too expensive I'll make one. When in factory employment we used a biscuit tin on a gas ring as an oven for baked potatoes and they were magic, its surprising what can be achieved.

Yes the glass topped pan is a good idea thanks, I'll do some tests on one of those.

Let you know how we get on

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2013-11-10 10:39 PM

Never used a pressure cooker and if its too expensive I'll make one. When in factory employment we used a biscuit tin on a gas ring as an oven for baked potatoes and they were magic, its surprising what can be achieved.

Yes the glass topped pan is a good idea thanks, I'll do some tests on one of those.

Let you know how we get on

I have used a tin box also camping, cooking a roast dinner, was on an easter camp (in the snow) as a Boy Scout.....I cooked a piece of beef with all the trimmings in a tin buried in the ground.....I won a prize for it..applause now please. But when one mainly holidays in 30 + degrees these days, an oven the last consideration, especially when you can buy a succulent rotisserie chicken for a fiver....

Will85 - 2013-11-10 10:39 PMNever used a pressure cooker and if its too expensive I'll make one. When in factory employment we used a biscuit tin on a gas ring as an oven for baked potatoes and they were magic, its surprising what can be achieved.Yes the glass topped pan is a good idea thanks, I'll do some tests on one of those.Let you know how we get on

Pressure Cooker, Three tier Steamer, Frying pan with glass lid,Gas kettle, van cooking sorted, and of course a small Barbi,

Guest pelmetman
Will85 - 2013-11-10 7:55 PM

Well how's about that then, I can't think what's brought on Eddie's sudden enthusiasm but love it all the same.

Its true I have a good understanding of those from the 'Smoke' having worked with many over the years and found them some of the most open and natural speaking people around.

You can Adam and Eve it Will ;-).....................as someone who is from the East end :-D...............

I believe Eddie is from the Emerald Isle :D

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2013-11-11 8:52 AM

Will85 - 2013-11-10 7:55 PM

You can Adam and Eve it Will ;-).....................as someone who is from the East end :-D...............

I believe Eddie is from the Emerald Isle :D

2 b sure, 2 b sure......but raised if not born in London :-D

vindiboy - 2013-11-10 10:36 PM
Will85 - 2013-11-10 12:56 PMAre they still around? The alloy one seems better as its lighter. Any comments advise please

We had two Skillets, the large and small, but my wife stopped using them because they are aluminum and she  believes that using aluminum cooking  pans can cause  Alzheimer's , I think that is what she said, can't remember, any way we now use a large  coated  frying pan with a glass lid and  one can do everything in that. that  a skillet can do. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, though not usually. Don't these skillets have a non stick coating? So no problem with, what was the question?

Another nod here, for a decent sized, deep, lidded frying/sauté pan...

...ours has turned out to be one of the most used bit of M/H kitchen stuff we have.

I only wish we could've found one which had two D handle though, instead of the usual long handle(..they are available, but I wasn't going to pay "professional chef" prices for one! *-) )

We have managed to "pot/hob roast" 2lb+ chickens in a large saucepan, sat on a simmer ring("Dutch Oven style)...and although it has been successful, if I'm honest it was as much for the novelty value, as it was for any desire or need! ;-)

I have a double skillet and use it in the van as we don't have an oven, it makes lovely toasted sarnies, roast chicken, pizzas etc. The first time I cooked a chicken I made the mistake of using only one of the pans and the glass lid and instead of roasting the chicken basically 'broiled' - whilst tasty it didn't crisp up. So yes, you can use a glass lidded pan instead but in my experience you won't get the 'dry' cooking you do with the metal pans put together (like you would in a proper oven) also, as you heat up both pans before cooking you get a more even temperature in the pan.

The pans are aluminium but with non-stick coating so I wouldn't think the alleged 'dangers' of using aluminium pans would be as great, if exist at all?

You can get stainless steel pressure cookers fairly reasonably priced if you want one, however, be warned that they are quite a bit heavier than their aluminium counter parts, one reason why I stopped using my SS one and went back to aluminium.

SS pressure cooker

Archived