Sound from TV

Iain Strachan

Have just invested in a portable hard drive, for down loading films, but also need to upgrade my speaker system, I have a spare pair of computer speakers that are mains powered, so everything fine when on EHU.

However we like to wild/aire as well, at present use 150watt inverter to run TV. which works fine. I think the addition of the speakers might well overload inverter though. Has anyone used usb powered speakers successfully or should I just up grade inverter?

Thanks Iain

On the strength of this linked thread we bought one of theses gizmos from Amazon and the improvement in sound quality from the TV for such little outlay and compact dimensions is quite remarkable.

I wonder if it might suit you Iain?

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Poor-sound-on-your-M-home-TV-an-answer-/32166/61/#M383915

Iain Strachan - 2013-11-11 10:33 PM

Thanks all, yes the sound from the radio is good and now that we have cracked it not shuting down after 20 mins, thanks to this site. I will investigate getting audio to it, either bluetooth or usb.

Good ideas guys cheers.

iain, for bluetooth, you need a bluetooth connection on the TV, not that common? For your USB speakers you have the connection from the TV but no power when not on hookup.

As others above have said, the easiest answer is to run a headphone type cable from the headphone/audio out of the TV to the aux in on the head unit of the van. Select AUX on the head unit and you should get sound from the van speakers. I have used this to run audio from my ipod/ipad/smartphone etc.

Bolly1965 - 2013-11-11 7:18 PM

Just discovered my TV has every connection under the sun - apart from an audio out - not even a headphone socket!

The problem is the speakers are on the rear and all the sound goes to the rear of the van. I may try making a panel to deflect the sound to the front...

Have the same problem. I stand a large plastic chopping board, or large plastic place mat at back of TV, it works Ok. OH is going to make a stand for one , sometime

Guest 1footinthegrave

I used to do that except I was always unsure how much impact it would have on the starter battery, also many vans audio in the cab will only work with the ignition switched on, does that matter ? dunno

for fear of repeating myself my solution was a tiny bluetooth speaker than also has a line in option, which for around £20 is amazing, plus no trailing wires to trip over.

I will say to the OP I have tried a few usb powered speakers for my laptop, but they have all been crap, and ended up down the tip, so I use my little speaker for that as well now. :-S

Yes, mike, but Bluetooth output from a TV is a fairly recent thing, isnt it? I guess many radio head units have it and are able to receive as they have been designed to amplify mobile phone output for hands free driving.

If the Tv had bluetooth, you could connect straight to the cab head unit. It really depends on what outputs iain's Tv has.

Iain Strachan - 2013-11-11 10:33 PM

Thanks all, yes the sound from the radio is good and now that we have cracked it not shuting down after 20 mins, thanks to this site. I will investigate getting audio to it, either bluetooth or usb.

Good ideas guys cheers.

....another way is to buy an FM transmitter to connect to the TV headphone socket, and then tune the 'van radio to the transmitted frequency.

There are quite a few units out there, particularly on eBay, but something like the Belkin Tunecast II or a cheaper equivalent will run from batteries, meaning a neat solution with a few less wires floating about.

There have been some mixed experiences with this method, but my Avtex has a built-in FM transmitter, which I have no need to use, but tested works pretty well.

This method should be OK on vehicles where the FM aerial is not a huge distance from the TV when in use.

Guest 1footinthegrave
bolero boy - 2013-11-12 9:18 AM

Yes, mike, but Bluetooth output from a TV is a fairly recent thing, isnt it? I guess many radio head units have it and are able to receive as they have been designed to amplify mobile phone output for hands free driving.

If the Tv had bluetooth, you could connect straight to the cab head unit. It really depends on what outputs iain's Tv has.

The bluetooth speaker is a bit of a misnomer as it accepts a line in signal as well, of course as long as the TV has a headphone socket. ;-) although there is no mention of line in, on the description :-S

In reply to the FM route ( above ) I must say we too tried an FM transmitter in the past, but perhaps we were unlucky, it was dire with constant hissing and trying to find a "free" frequency that ended up in the bin as well.

But let me be clear, I'm not saying do as I have done, it's just the route I've took after many failed attempts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundWave-SW100-Rechargable-Portable-Bluetooth/dp/product-description/B009LJG4VU/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=4085821&s=receiver-speakers

Guest 1footinthegrave
tonyishuk - 2013-11-12 12:50 PM

Our Avtex has an FM output that the radio head unit can be tuned to.

Never worked too well, and if it did, we found that at the next stop. the unit had to be re tuned as there was interference from a local station.

Rgds

Exactly, they are more trouble than they are worth, unless you like hissing and crackle sounds. :-S

Don't bother with the FM one if you want to use it in France very difficult to find a spare frequency. Cheap ones only have about 5 pre set frequencies, don't know if they are still available used be able to get expensive one that you can tune across the full FM bandwidth.

Bolly1965 - 2013-11-11 7:18 PM

Just discovered my TV has every connection under the sun - apart from an audio out - not even a headphone socket!

The problem is the speakers are on the rear and all the sound goes to the rear of the van. I may try making a panel to deflect the sound to the front...

Never thought of that! Thanks!

Archived