Where's best to Advertise if selling?

Lois

Hi Folks,

Decided to sell our Hobby T500FSC (Low fixed bed model) and have put a deposit on a Hymer (private sale). We have until February to sell 'ours' and I know now is not the best time to sell but I'm a great believer that if the price is right then it should sell. That said, would love to know if any of you have recommendations of the best sites to advertise that aren't too costly? We've priced our van at 31,950 its a 60 plate registered in Jan 2011 so it less than 3yrs old and has 16,500 on clock with the remainder of a 23mnth warranty that is transferable - is this a realistic price? Have spoken to a few dealers already for just a 'buy now' and tbh they're a bit on the low side and we can afford to wait for the moment! Has anyone sold on ebay - if so any pitfalls?

Any advice/suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Lois, there are members on here who have used ebay, i know of one who is selling his van at the moment, you wouldnt be buying a Tramp Gold by any chance?

I guess your van is up for sale to get somthing bigger to solve your issure re fitting your daughters in on occasional breaks? Shame to resort to such drastic action but good luck.

ES Harley have this one for sale at £8k more than yours for the same year/reg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-60-HOBBY-Van-T-500-FSC-/141075530432?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item20d8c1c2c0

Thanks Chris, No we're not buying the Tramp Gold (I wish I could though!) We're changing not just because of the girls - we decided we'd like more lounge space and this next one we intend to hold onto for a long time. You learn so much in that first year of owning and using your 'own first' motorhome don't you?

Ebay is definitely an option and would be interested to hear from those who've used it to see if they used the auction route or the classifieds and which were the most successful. Well spotted the ES Hartley ad, that is actually our MH! We had a stab at brokerage but it never came to anything so we're going to try and sell ourselves.

Guest pelmetman
Lois - 2013-11-13 10:27 AM

You learn so much in that first year of owning and using your 'own first' motorhome don't you?

Now there's a phrase that should be tattoo'd on every newbies cheque signing hand :D...........along with...........

Start with Old before you buy New ;-)

lennyhb - 2013-11-13 12:58 PM

Now why aren't you buying a Tramp Gold it's a very nice van i know it very well

With high priced items on ebay it is best to do a classified add, £14.99 for a month.

I also used my second id as my main user name has feedback of 24000 didn't want people thinking it was a dealer selling it.

Very nice van too Lenny! I saw it on ebay the other night and commented to OH what a nice van it was. Unfortunately it's out of our price range this time round.

How long has your's been on ebay and have you had interest? Just being curious but are you selling privately because dealers and brokers take/charge such extortionate fees?

bolero boy - 2013-11-13 4:56 PM

So, Lois, what type of Hymer are you looking at?

Lenny, sorry mate, i did try :-(

We're buying a Hymer C542cl - got it for a good price which will help negate the 'hit' we'll get on the Hobby if we can sell it. I'm not even going to think of what we'll do if we don't sell it (too scary)!

As the saying goes 'You learn a lot from your mistakes' . Not that I would class our first motorhome as a mistake (contradicting myself here aren't I?!) we didn't go into the buying process blindly, We did a lot of research, travelled great distances and read lots on buying etc. What we didn't have at the time was 'hindsight'. We bought a sound van which was 18months old, from a main dealer that gave us a 3 year warranty (piece of mind) and also got a good discount. We could have bought an older one, we had considered this option, but there was not much monetary difference between an older (8 year old van) and the newer one, probably 10k. What we didn't have was the benefit of other peoples wisdom, didn't know anyone else who had a MH. Hiring before you buy is great in theory, if you can hire the same layout that you're thinking of getting, but most hire companies just do family size outfits that were a lot bigger than you want for yourself. And even if we'd done all of these things we've used the MH for lots of things of things we hadn't thought we would and stuff we thought we'd do just didn't happen (work that one out if you can!).

I guess there are very few motor homers that have spent their hard earned money, whether it be units or expensive equipment, to be able to say that was good money well spent (lol)

bolero boy - 2013-11-14 10:37 AM

Good luck and thanks for being so frank.

I really hope the (not so) little darlings appreciate the sacrifice ;-)

I know you all think we're mad - you're probably right!!

Thanks for your feedback, will try and work out the etiquette on this forum for future, can't make any promises though as I'm renowned as being a bit of a technical numpty (how rude!)

Lois - 2013-11-14 9:36 AM

Very nice van too Lenny! I saw it on ebay the other night and commented to OH what a nice van it was. Unfortunately it's out of our price range this time round.

How long has your's been on ebay and have you had interest? Just being curious but are you selling privately because dealers and brokers take/charge such extortionate fees?

Put it on ebay last Friday no calls yet, 19 watches, 629 page hits, so people are looking at it.

Selling privately as I can not part ex as it's RHD Belgium dealer will only take LHD in part ex.

Dealers who buy for cash offer silly price (has been discussed on this forum before) & broker want a big percentage for doing what you can do yourself in a couple of hours - place adds.

Keithl - 2013-11-14 2:32 PM

What about the 'Buy and Sell' section of this website, click the link above for more...

Keith.

Hi Keith, I'm looking at internet only at the moment as it seems to be the most effective. I would've used that option on here had it been available but from my understanding the package is for internet/MMM/which motorhome for the prices quoted below by Lenny. Maybe this could be something OAL are missing out on, would happily give them my £14.99 instead of ebay!

Post on all the free or nearly free online sites first before going to paid adds such as auto trader and MMM.

When buying I have found 3 vans on ebay one on MMM and two at dealers oh and 1 in the window of a news agents. Brokerage usually put too high a sale price on vans.

Lois - 2013-11-14 10:10 AM

As the saying goes 'You learn a lot from your mistakes' . Not that I would class our first motorhome as a mistake (contradicting myself here aren't I?!) we didn't go into the buying process blindly, We did a lot of research, travelled great distances and read lots on buying etc. What we didn't have at the time was 'hindsight'. We bought a sound van which was 18months old, from a main dealer that gave us a 3 year warranty (piece of mind) and also got a good discount. We could have bought an older one, we had considered this option, but there was not much monetary difference between an older (8 year old van) and the newer one, probably 10k. What we didn't have was the benefit of other peoples wisdom, didn't know anyone else who had a MH. Hiring before you buy is great in theory, if you can hire the same layout that you're thinking of getting, but most hire companies just do family size outfits that were a lot bigger than you want for yourself. And even if we'd done all of these things we've used the MH for lots of things of things we hadn't thought we would and stuff we thought we'd do just didn't happen (work that one out if you can!).

I guess there are very few motor homers that have spent their hard earned money, whether it be units or expensive equipment, to be able to say that was good money well spent (lol)

We hired a couple of times before buying although we did not get the exact layout we wanted we found out what we couldn't live with. We hired in Germany where there is far more choice as there is a huge hire market and hiring a lot cheaper there..

We had the advantage of dragging caravans around for over 20 years so we managed to get it right first time. We also brought abroad which took a lot of the depreciation hit out of the equation, and we have ordered the new van from the same Belgium dealer. Hymer are the one van you can save big money on buying in Belgium or Germany.

gocro - 2013-11-15 4:13 PM

Post on all the free or nearly free online sites first before going to paid adds such as auto trader and MMM.

When buying I have found 3 vans on ebay one on MMM and two at dealers oh and 1 in the window of a news agents. Brokerage usually put too high a sale price on vans.

Thanks gocro, will try and get it on freebie sites - hadn't thought about those. Will see how go on over next few weeks. You're right about brokerage, the vans have a mark up but I guess this is to reflect that they take part ex and offer finance. My understanding is that they're still cheaper than dealers though and are a bridge between private sales and dealers? This maybe something we'll have to look at again if we get no takers by January but it's still early days so not panicing just yet!

Dont, the expense will shock you.

I think it may now be 10% of the purchase price + the cost of the ad etc.

I usd to trade healthily on ebay as a hobby afer i retired but as soon as the fee went up from 5 to 10% it effectively stopped me trading. I was only buying, refurbishing and selling electric golf trollies but this change killed the margin.

Use a classified as sugested.

Keithl - 2013-11-15 1:11 PM

Hi Lois,

I hadn't looked at the rates for OAL and consequently MMM, etc but now agree that Warners are missing a trick by not offering internet only advertising at a sensible price. Are you listening Andrew et al?

Keith.

I agree Keith, I'm surprised that they've missed a trick here :-)

bolero boy - 2013-11-16 2:52 PM

Dont, the expense will shock you.

I think it may now be 10% of the purchase price + the cost of the ad etc.

I usd to trade healthily on ebay as a hobby afer i retired but as soon as the fee went up from 5 to 10% it effectively stopped me trading. I was only buying, refurbishing and selling electric golf trollies but this change killed the margin.

Use a classified as sugested.

Thanks Chris, van is advertised on ebay as we chat!

lennyhb - 2013-11-15 5:55 PM

Lois - 2013-11-14 10:10 AM

We hired a couple of times before buying although we did not get the exact layout we wanted we found out what we couldn't live with. We hired in Germany where there is far more choice as there is a huge hire market and hiring a lot cheaper there..

We had the advantage of dragging caravans around for over 20 years so we managed to get it right first time. We also brought abroad which took a lot of the depreciation hit out of the equation, and we have ordered the new van from the same Belgium dealer. Hymer are the one van you can save big money on buying in Belgium or Germany.

Hi Lenny, it's good to know you're very experienced in this area - something I may have to investigate in a few years time when we can afford a brand new one!

Cheers

Archived