Blocking members

arthur49

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2013-11-12 8:54 PM

PJay - 2013-11-12 7:13 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-12 6:49 PM

I have spent the morning out and about and this afternoon cleaning the van out. between that and trying to buy a new van..and a new house..so like I said busy

What a new van and a new house AGAIN. Do they always go to-gether Eddie ?

Good time to buy house, not sure about selling though. I guess no problem in London.

Good luck with your hunt

have been here for over 20 years..we sold it last year, but could not find anything so pulled out, and just as well! as prices crazy again....just moving out a bit to a smaller place, neared Mrs M's new job, to help with her commute...Probably letting out Mental Manor as london prices rising, so foolish to sell. with new e bikes costing over 6K, I don't want em hanging on a rack! *-)

Surely time for Mrs M to be kicking back and retiring Eddie, or is she keeping you in the 'manor'(sic) to which you are accustomed? ;-)

Ps Facebook biggest waste of time and effort ever conceived. No one actually talks to anyone, just posts 'statuses' and 'comments'. One of my pals told us that the discovered their son had a new partner, how, by reading facebook! Says it all.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-11-13 8:09 AM

I have spent the morning out and about and this afternoon cleaning the van out. between that and trying to buy a new van..and a new house..so like I said busy

Good time to buy house, not sure about selling though. I guess no problem in London.

Good luck with your hunt

have been here for over 20 years..we sold it last year, but could not find anything so pulled out, and just as well! as prices crazy again....just moving out a bit to a smaller place, neared Mrs M's new job, to help with her commute...Probably letting out Mental Manor as london prices rising, so foolish to sell. with new e bikes costing over 6K, I don't want em hanging on a rack! *-)

Surely time for Mrs M to be kicking back and retiring Eddie, or is she keeping you in the 'manor'(sic) to which you are accustomed? ;-)

Ps Facebook biggest waste of time and effort ever conceived. No one actually talks to anyone, just posts 'statuses' and 'comments'. One of my pals told us that the discovered their son had a new partner, how, by reading facebook! Says it all.

another " linked IN" request this morning, they are as bad as Facetook! :-D Naw....She is younger and enjoys working... :-S I've come to terms with winter trips on my own :D

JudgeMental - 2013-11-12 11:18 PM

.i enjoy shopping and spending money, thats why my marriage so good :D

On that we do agree - having spent too many years generating the cash in case of rainy times why shouldn't we all pretend that it's pouring - especially when the sun shines and divesting our kids of the responsibility of an inheritance becomes much more fun!

Good luck to you - live long, prosper and enjoy, Eddie.

Good luck with your hunt

Right. I thought you did move before. Don't blame you for keeping your house, if you can afford to do so. Good idea to move nearer to Mrs M work, saves her time and hassle of travelling.

Many moons ago (1950,s) i work in London, was fine then. Went to London a couple of years ago. Went on the underground and overground. I have never been so scared in all my life, so crowded (get claustrophobic) It was like being in another country, so many nationalilities (to put it correctly)

Good luck in the house move this time. What area do you plan to go to? I came from North London , used to be very "posh" in the 50's Moved to Hertfordshire in 60's

And hope your van sells quickly

P

bolero boy - 2013-11-13 9:40 AM

Haha, daughter getting married in the Spring after living with partner for 8 years. Thought id got away with that one, lol.

The date she's chosen......April 5th. I immediately thought this must be for tax reasons! Hers, not mine ;-)

This daughter lark is expensive already given on daughter nearly 20k for deposit on a a house now the other one wants the same, both have partners neither married yet. Could be the last time we change the van for a long time. :-|

lennyhb - 2013-11-13 10:56 AM

This daughter lark is expensive already given on daughter nearly 20k for deposit on a a house now the other one wants the same, both have partners neither married yet. Could be the last time we change the van for a long time. :-|

You're lucky - you got off lightly - our two sons have had a heck of a lot more than that between them so far - so do make sure you keep your Bank of Dad cheque book handy because just when you thought it was safe to treat yourself something is bound to turn up to prevent you!

Tracker - 2013-11-13 11:07 AM

lennyhb - 2013-11-13 10:56 AM

You're lucky - you got off lightly - our two sons have had a heck of a lot more than that between them so far - so do make sure you keep your Bank of Dad cheque book handy because just when you thought it was safe to treat yourself something is bound to turn up to prevent you!

And it carries on to the Grandchildren!! Helping them through Uni. Have a great Grandson, but don't think will be around to help him through Uni. (Mind you if we are, probably money spent on Care Home!!)

PJay - 2013-11-13 4:04 PM

And it carries on to the Grandchildren!! Helping them through Uni. Have a great Grandson, but don't think will be around to help him through Uni. (Mind you if we are, probably money spent on Care Home!!)

At least every fiver 'donated' within the family is a fiver less the grasping barstewards from the state won't get, so it ain't all bad news - and giving does bring a sort of pleasure all of it's own - so they tell me!!

Guest pelmetman
Listening to JV today was a eye opener 8-).................Kids who beat up their parents and are allowed to get away with it :-S.....................Coz they're protected by PC Brigade *-)

pelmetman - 2013-11-13 4:58 PM

Listening to JV today was a eye opener 8-).................Kids who beat up their parents and are allowed to get away with it :-S.....................Coz they're protected by PC Brigade *-)

Are you suggesting that they should be blocked from the forum ?

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-11-13 5:00 PM

Are you suggesting that they should be blocked from the forum ?

:-|

It depends...................on what camper they own ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-11-13 9:55 AM

Good luck with your hunt

Right. I thought you did move before. Don't blame you for keeping your house, if you can afford to do so. Good idea to move nearer to Mrs M work, saves her time and hassle of travelling.

Many moons ago (1950,s) i work in London, was fine then. Went to London a couple of years ago. Went on the underground and overground. I have never been so scared in all my life, so crowded (get claustrophobic) It was like being in another country, so many nationalilities (to put it correctly)

Good luck in the house move this time. What area do you plan to go to? I came from North London , used to be very "posh" in the 50's Moved to Hertfordshire in 60's

And hope your van sells quickly

P

I wanted to build an ECO house but have given up on finding a plot :-S

I can't see the point in posting such a negative, irrelevant, "non-story" as that?

..especially after the last half o' dozen or so posts, that were from clearly proud parents and Grand parents..?! :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-11-13 5:25 PM

I can't see the point in posting such a negative, irrelevant, "non-story" as that?

..especially after the last half o' dozen or so posts, that were from clearly proud parents and Grand parents..?! :-S

That's the trouble with the BBC.........all the non stories :D...............But where else do us people without these beasts of burden find out where our taxes went? >:-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-11-13 5:33 PM

...Ah!..I see the Chatterbox fence has got another hole in it.. *-)

*Block button pressed*.... ;-)

Aaaaw don't get grumpy Pepe ;-)......................Our keeper has gone AWOL :-S..............I think it was Franks turn at the school crossing patrol :D

Robinhood - 2013-11-18 6:59 PM

....AFAIK, both 'Facts' and 'Fun' allow you to maintain an "ignore list" which will hide posts from nominated IDs.

The answer seems to be simple, then. Rather than add to the Out&AboutLive forums a feature that (I suspect) few current O&AL forum members will be interested in and (as has been said earlier) that has an obvious potential to produce disjunction within the flow of a thread, folk who wish to maintain an 'ignore list' can choose to participate on Facts and/or Fun and not on O&AL.

Guest JudgeMental

So you don't think being able to add photos or video easily would not be welcome?

But if I block someone I find objectionable, it's only me who does not see that contribution, so thread continuity no differnt for you? I know from experience that it works and it most definitely prevents skirmishes breaking out......

Sorry but software warners use old hat and pretty pathetic by modern standards

https://www.vbulletin.com

JudgeMental - 2013-11-19 8:25 AM

So you don't think being able to add photos or video easily would not be welcome?...

How have you concluded that?

This thread commenced by arthur49 floating the 'blocking' idea. No mention of more easily adding photos or video had been made until you suddenly - out of the blue - brought it up.

This forum nowadays is a decrepit old dog in terms of logic and user-friendliness,. It wasn't that great to begin with in 2005 and subsequent 'improvements' have, in my view, done as much harm as good. (I've said this time and time again, incidentally.) Nevertheless, despite its flaws, the O&AL forum works well enough when it comes to providing useful advice, which (I would have thought) is a motorhome forum's primary raison d'être.

It's obvious that some participants treat the O&AL forum as an arena for verbal gladiatorial combat: this is either amusing, sad, offensive or boring dependent on one's viewpont. Forum moderation is almost non-existent, so the main combattants continue with their puerile in-fighting until it becomes so outrageous that a Warners rep has to step in.

If adding an 'ignore' feature would reduce the agressive ranting that's now commonplace I'm all for it. I wouldn't use it myself because, amongst every 100 or so posts spewed out by each of the most prolific ranters, there's always the chance there'll be one I'll consider useful. I'm prepared to open 100 oysters if the 101st might contain a pearl (be it ever so small and insignificant).

Archived