Blocking members

arthur49

Nicely put, Derek. I like the ease with which I can scan down the posts looking at the names on the left. I can ignore them if I want without blocking, read them if it keeps the flow of the topic, and enjoy what you rightly call the pearls. If I used the blocker, I could end up with only posts from like-minded people.

Most topics are finished after a handful of posts and thus when they stray into new areas, it opens up opportunities for further discussion or studying human behaviour. If we think the topic is straying and has not yet answered the Opening Post, we can always bring it back on track with, "Reverting to the OP ...."

OAL may need better moderation to protect some people but it is so much better than Practical Motorhome's forum. And despite its antiquity, I don't seem to get any spam from it.

However, if blocking is the answer to protecting the future of the forums, then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
blocking sounds final and akin to a death sentence, "Ignoring" is what it is, but you still have the option to have a look if you are so inclined. Rather then having to scan over an objectionable (to me) member, its easier to just press the button on them *-). The chances of learning anything of value from them laughable so why would I choose to endure it....

Robinhood - 2013-11-19 11:45 AM

......let's face it, if an 'Ignore' button were to be introduced, there would be a few forum members with a lot more time on their hands.

I'm happy to manage without it and see it as my little contribution to Care in the Community.

;-)

Good point Robin'..

..and while they're on here "..for some company..", at least they're leaving their GPs alone... ;-)

(..and besides..it's far to cold for them to be out in the street, just shouting at the pigeons.... (lol) )

Having said that, you can't help but think that by not having had an "ignore" facility, some(many?) people have been put off the forum by some of the more infantile and confrontational stuff.... :-S

(..and what were we ever going to "learn" from the likes of Postnote..or Fiona/plumbersvan etc...and who was that "..I carnt spell werdz.." waster, who stirred it up, so that we've now seemed to have lost BGD..?.. *-) )

pepe63 - 2013-11-19 12:17 PM

Robinhood - 2013-11-19 11:45 AM

......let's face it, if an 'Ignore' button were to be introduced, there would be a few forum members with a lot more time on their hands.

I'm happy to manage without it and see it as my little contribution to Care in the Community.

;-)

Good point Robin'..

..and while they're on here "..for some company..", at least they're leaving their GPs alone... ;-)

(..and besides..it's far to cold for them to be out in the street, just shouting at the pigeons.... (lol) )

Having said that, you can't help but think that by not having had an "ignore" facility, some(many?) people have been put off the forum by some of the more infantile and confrontational stuff.... :-S

(..and what were we ever going to "learn" from the likes of Postnote..or Fiona/plumbersvan etc...and who was that "..I carnt spell werdz.." waster, who stirred it up, so that we've now seemed to have lost BGD..?.. *-) )

I think we lost BGD not because of the trolls but because no one on here supported him. He was very hurt by that.

laimeduck - 2013-11-19 12:57 PM

I think we lost BGD not because of the trolls but because no one on here supported him. He was very hurt by that.

I'm a bit surprised at that because I thought that a few of us did?....obviously not enough though by the sounds of it..? A shame that.. :-S

Yes, I liked (although didn't know) Bruce, he always seemed very genuine and with "real world" knowledge...

(..Thinking about it...we haven't lost Crinkly' as well have we?! 8-) ...I do hope he's just out on his travels... :-S

laimeduck - 2013-11-19 12:57 PM

Have you anything to support that view? (Perhaps Bruce told you this via PM, or he's said this on another forum?)

I've scanned rapidly through threads in which Bruce posted not too long before he ceased Out&AboutLive forum active participation, but I can see no signs of the lack of support (On what contentious issues?) that you mention.

Bruce always struck me as well able to fight his corner if he so chose and, as he was a registered O&AL forum-member since 2007 with an eventual postings 'score' of 4415, I find it hard to imagine him suddenly becoming thin-skinned and "very hurt" in late-2013. I can, however, imagine him becoming mind-numbingly bored and, having looked at his own website, I'm surprised he had the time to expend on a minor motorhome-related forum.

(I notice that Bruce's last O&AL forum logon was 8 days ago, so he still seems to be keeping an occasional eye on us all.)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-19 1:41 PM

I've scanned rapidly through threads in which Bruce posted not too long before he ceased Out&AboutLive forum active participation, but I can see no signs of the lack of support (On what contentious issues?) that you mention.

There were quite a few threads started by "I carnt spell..i az bin bullid.."(What was his name?)which got pulled by the mods, so maybe any "issues" are contained within them?(or can you access those Derek?)

I do recall that some of Bruce's real world reports on what was happening in Spain (Re:A frames) weren't always received with gratitude by those who were hell bent on using them... (lol)

The poster that you are thinking of, Pepe, went under the aliases of:- 'Yosser Hughes' & 'Billy Bongo',

and (mainly) posted on 'Chatterbox' -- where BGD (who I also miss) fell foul of him -- and of 'Jim' from the 'motorhome Fun' Forum ( posting here as 'Jim-Jam') I think.

Derek, (who I don't ever remember posting on 'Chatterbox' may not have come across the illiterate Troll.

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. Bruce was specifically accused of lying, and as I recall didn't receive much support.

C.

Guest JudgeMental

Indeed...if you wana to see some real knuckle draggers get over onto "fun" lol!

Come back Brucie baby!..and stay away from chatpox this time.. and A frames :D

Symbol Owner - 2013-11-19 2:08 PM

...Derek, (who I don't ever remember posting on 'Chatterbox' may not have come across the illiterate Troll...

There are currently 22 threads in the Chatterbox forum that contain a posting of mine and most of those threads were moved there in mid-2006 when Chatterbox was created to rescue the Motorhome Matters forum after the O&AL website had become 'open to all' and the loonies had taken over the asylum.

To initially 'seed' Chatterbox a relatively small number of threads were transferred to it from Motorhome Matters, apparently (based on the subject matter of the threads containing my postings) with little thought as to their relevance. (Is an inquiry about motorhome tyres really a Chatterbox subject?) A couple of later (2010 and 2013) threads have clearly been relocated by the Moderator from other O&AL forums to their rightful place in Chatterbox.

But otherwise, I've always kept well clear of Chatterbox.

Archived