Anyone stopped for headlamp adaptors

spospe

As per the title really, has anyone ever been stopped abroad for not having visible headlamp adaptors fitted?

We often see vehicles (UK and Irish) in France, Belgium and Germany without adaptors and even without nationality (UK) stickers. Never personally met anyone who has been challenged.

Never been stopped - probably because we fit them - not just for the sake of complying with the law but because there is a genuine hazard to other road users from being dazzled. And yes, there are plenty of vehicles (in this country and abroad) can be seen not using them and yes, we have been dazzled by such irresponsible behaviour.

We have seen the French police having a crackdown at Calais and pulling over british vehicles without beam deflectors.

My advice? Just do it, for a few pounds it's not worth the risk or the thought that you may have caused a serious accident.

David

My guess is its not a priority for the law, however if you have an accident and the Police get involved it could become an issue. Must admit we visited the UK and I totally forgot to get deflectors fitted fortunately we did no night driving. But number plate was an EU one.

Guest pelmetman
Never take mine off...............thinking of getting some of those long eyelashes to add to Horace's good looks............plus its very fashionable to be in touch with your feminine side ;-)

There is no legal requirement in any country to have beam-adapters fitted to headlamps - the requirement is that a vehicle's headlamps should not produce a dipped-beam pattern that would dazzle oncoming drivers.

How this requirement should be met is not defined. For a UK-registered vehicle being driven abroad, 'masks' or beam-adapters could be fitted to headlamps, or the headlamps might have an in-built capability to have their beam-pattern suitably modified, or the owner of the vehicle might choose to replace left-dipping headlamps with right-dipping ones for the time spent abroad. If a vehicle has the capability to adjust the inclination-angle of the headlamp beam, it might even be sufficient to exploit that feature to produce a 'non-dazzling' dipped-beam pattern.

There's advice from the AA here

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/general_advice.html?advertid=15169&awc=3947_1384366911_37b71ffe19e032a85bd5f0183c2a4a62

The same rules will apply to 'foreign' vehicles visiting the UK - their lights should not dazzle. This was confirmed when, some years ago, I asked about it at a local police station. However, I was also told that, within the UK, "It's not a hot policing issue". I also asked a local VOSA check-point if they checked the headlamp beam-pattern of the foreign trucks that they inspected. I was told No, they just checked that all the required lights were functioning.

spospe - 2013-11-13 3:15 PM

As per the title really, has anyone ever been stopped abroad for not having visible headlamp adaptors fitted?

We often see vehicles (UK and Irish) in France, Belgium and Germany without adaptors and even without nationality (UK) stickers. Never personally met anyone who has been challenged.

Are you asking because you'd rather not bother to use them? or some other reason?

If it's the law why do other than comply?

regards

alan b

snowie - 2013-11-13 10:55 PM

spospe - 2013-11-13 3:15 PM

Are you asking because you'd rather not bother to use them? or some other reason?

If it's the law why do other than comply?

regards

alan b

We never take our headlamp deflectors off (been on 6 years with the present van). Just asking out of curiosity, as we have never, ever met anyone who has been stopped, or know third-hand of anyone who has been stopped.

Installed headlamp covers/deflectors from Van Comfort a long time ago and they work perfectly. http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

Just stick on the beam deflectors within the etched on marks and drive off the ferry.

Two minute job to remove on the way back.

Still using the original black stick ons - should last another year yet.

Headlight protectors stay on permanently - does what it says on the tin.

Go on - spend £50 and save your headlights and be legal.

No worries from any police force and no - never been stopped for anything in 25,000 euro miles. (lol)

pelmetman - 2013-11-13 5:54 PM

Never take mine off...............thinking of getting some of those long eyelashes to add to Horace's good looks............plus its very fashionable to be in touch with your feminine side ;-)

I could point out that it is actually an offence to have them on in the UK. The Law states your lights must dip to the left and if you have added 'adjusters to stop this, then you are not legal. Why we cannot adopt the EU system of vertical dipping lights and then we would not have the issue, is beyond me. But of course think of all those expensive light units you can sell.

EU countries that drive on the right dipped beams have an asymmetrical cut off beam deflected to the right just like we do to the left.

Edit:

Deflectors are only intended for short term use if you leave them on for extended periods the lens can be damaged.

In 8 years of MOT's with headlamps patched for driving on the right, I have never, ever had any comment form an MOT tester. They have always passed unremarked.

Before everyone forgets, my original post was, "Anyone stopped for headlamp adaptors". It would seem that amongst members of this Forum, the answer is, "No"

No I`ve never heard of or seen on a forum anyone say they`ve been stopped for not fitting beam benders. As per previous post the requirement is not to dazzle, so the onus is for the police to prove you are dazzling. I will admit arguing the toss on that one with the gendarme at the side of the road does not appeal greatly. I`ve driven in many of the major tunnels in an X250 Panel Van with dipped lights no benders and have never been flashed (you soon do get flashed if dazzling I tried it once in the 2.8JTD)

So my take on beam benders good wheeze for the maker and seller.

mirage - 2013-11-14 9:40 PM

No I`ve never heard of or seen on a forum anyone say they`ve been stopped for not fitting beam benders. As per previous post the requirement is not to dazzle, so the onus is for the police to prove you are dazzling. I will admit arguing the toss on that one with the gendarme at the side of the road does not appeal greatly. I`ve driven in many of the major tunnels in an X250 Panel Van with dipped lights no benders and have never been flashed (you soon do get flashed if dazzling I tried it once in the 2.8JTD)

So my take on beam benders good wheeze for the maker and seller.

I would venture to suggest that the requirement is not to cause an accident which you may very well not be aware of as if it were to happen the stricken vehicle would most likely be behind you as you tootle on your merry way.

David

spospe - 2013-11-14 9:38 PM

In 8 years of MOT's with headlamps patched for driving on the right, I have never, ever had any comment form an MOT tester. They have always passed unremarked.

Before everyone forgets, my original post was, "Anyone stopped for headlamp adaptors". It would seem that amongst members of this Forum, the answer is, "No"

If a UK-registered motorhome with UK-norm left-dipping headlamps has the dipped beam-pattern's left-side 'kick-up' masked/adapted to prevent the lights dazzling while the vehicle is being driven in 'right-hand traffic' (eg. in Continental Europe), there's no reason why it should fail the MOT test.

Nor should a UK-registered motorhome with 'LHD' right-dipping headlamps fail the MOT test provided that its headlamps' dipped beam-pattern's right-hand 'kick-up' has been suitably masked/adapted.

As long as the headlamps and their 'aim' meet the MOT test's acceptance criteria the vehicle will pass the test.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

There is a difference between the two scenarios I've described above. In the 1st case the UK-norm left-dipping headlamps are legal on a UK-registered motorhome - they just won't be as effective when the vehicle is being driven in the UK as they would be if 'un-patched'. In the 2nd case, right-dipping 'LHD' headlamps (that require masking/adapters to pass the MOT test) are not legal.

(As there's probably no more than 50 active participants on this forum, it shouldn't be too surprising if none of them have been stopped for not having beam-adapters when driving abroad. You might have more luck by asking on the larger MotorHomeFacts or MotorHomeFun forums.)

lennyhb - 2013-11-14 8:38 PM

EU countries that drive on the right dipped beams have an asymmetrical cut off beam deflected to the right just like we do to the left.

Edit:

Deflectors are only intended for short term use if you leave them on for extended periods the lens can be damaged.

Not totally true. If that was the case then any vehicle coming to the UK would have to have similar deflectors fitted, and they do not. This has been raised before and the answer was...that EU vehicles now have vertical dipping lights.Older vehicles, yes, but new ones, no.

Dave225 - 2013-11-15 7:15 PM

Edit:

Not totally true. If that was the case then any vehicle coming to the UK would have to have similar deflectors fitted, and they do not. This has been raised before and the answer was...that EU vehicles now have vertical dipping lights.Older vehicles, yes, but new ones, no.

It is the other way round they used to be vertical dipping they now use asymmetrical cut off.

Most A class Motorhomes made in German use the Hella projector headlamps, which dip to the right they have a tourist setting which allows the to be vertical dipped which is acceptable to VOSA for imported LHD vehicles.

Edit:

I stock and sell Eurolite deflectors for LHD vehicles.

lennyhb - 2013-11-15 9:41 PM

Dave225 - 2013-11-15 7:15 PM

Edit:

It is the other way round they used to be vertical dipping they now use asymmetrical cut off.

Most A class Motorhomes made in German use the Hella projector headlamps, which dip to the right they have a tourist setting which allows the to be vertical dipped which is acceptable to VOSA for imported LHD vehicles.

Edit:

I stock and sell Eurolite deflectors for LHD vehicles.

I'm not going to contradict the "...they used to be vertical dipping..." part of lennyhb's statement that "...they used to be vertical dipping they now use asymmetrical cut off." But, for as long as I can remember, 'unadjustable' headlamps of LHD vehicles have just produced an asymmetrical dipped-beam pattern 'opposite' to that of RHD vehicles, not a vertical-dipping symmetrical pattern.

The original headlamps fitted to my 2005 LHD Transit-based Hobby dip right with a very evident 'kick-up' on the upper-right edge of the beam pattern. This is the norm for a LHD vehicle and will have been so since way back when. As lennyhb says Eurolite beam-adapters are marketed for LHD vehicles as well as for RHD ones and the LHD Eurolite fitting instructions include some cars built in the 1980s. So, if it was once the norm for LHD vehicles' headlamps to 'dip vertically', it was a long time ago.

It's regularly stated authoritatively on internet forums (and even in the motoring press) that LHD vehicles have headlamps that dip symmetrically and, consequently, such vehicles do not need anything done to their headlamps to prevent dazzle when visiting the UK. The statement is wrong - LHD vehicles' headlamps normally have a right-dipping/right 'kick up' asymmetrical dipped-beam pattern and, consequently, will need adaptation to prevent dazzle when the vehicle is being driven in a 'left-hand traffic' country like the UK.

It's neither here nor there that plenty of UK motorists taking their RHD vehicles to a 'right-hand traffic' country don't bother to adapt the headlamps to prevent dazzle - they should. That few 'foreign' motorists taking their LHD vehicles to a left-hand traffic country don't bother to adapt the headlamps is also academic - they should too.

If this forum had an FAQ section, 'beam benders' would be one of the subjects. It comes up regularly with much the same things (right and wrong) said each time. This is probably the most recent previous thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Beam-benders-etc/30704/

Guest 1footinthegrave
I always put my headlamp protectors on complete with beam deflectors, but reading this thread has got me thinking, I've never seen any of the endless streams of "foreign" trucks coming to the UK with any such thing. :-S

I've never seen a UK-registered RHD truck travelling in Continental Europe with beam-adapters on its headlamps - but so what?

It's been suggested on this forum in the past that trucks have a dashboard-mounted 'switch' that permits the headlamps' dipped-beam to be swapped betwen a pattern appropriate for right-hand traffic or appropriate for left-hand traffic. Not being a truck expert I don't know if that's correct, but I somehow doubt it. It's much more likely that the "dashboard-mounted control" referred to merely allowed the dipped-beam angle to be adjusted vertically to cope with changes in a vehicle's loading. But there's nothing novel about that - my Transit has that feature as does my Skoda car.

If the opportunity presents itself, try overtaking - on a motorway in the dark or in poor visibility - a 'foreign' truck that has its headlamps on. As you pass it, you'll very soon discover which way its dipped-beams point!

Guest 1footinthegrave

It was just a point of interest, :-S , but for fear of another "so what" from you, perhaps others may be interested why HGVs don't have bits of tape, perhaps they can adjust the beam setting from in the vehicle.

I have to say having travelled countless thousands of miles at night both here and abroad I personally have never noticed what ever the beam direction is,unless it's a plonker on main beam,and given that it is the dip beam designed to illuminate the kerb I've never noticed myself a "wrong " one. but whatever...........................I just do as I'm told and stick mine on.

Archived