Motorhome Insurance quotes compared for you

chris

Just to update you on my latest trawl through renewing my insurance. Our van is 2010 lowline dethleffs on Ford transit 2.4 and we live in South Wales

Saga renewal £401

Scenic £408

CCC £439

Comfort £360

Caravanguard £377

MHF £346

Safeguard £386

Even though MHF and Comfort were cheapest, the NCD protection was a bit offputting so we did not go for that. We were keen on Caravanguard as they cover Bosnia, Macedonia and Morrocco but in the end we went for Safeguard because of past experience of claims they succesfully dealt with for us. Safeguard include just about all requirements in their policy. Sometimes it is not always the cheapest you should go for but what suits your requirements. Probably next year we will go for Caravanguard as they cover the countries we will probably visit then.

Chris

PS All the above include European breakdown.

Sorry for late reply

Comfort only cover morroco with green card and no breaksown cover.

Caravanguard cover Morroco, Bosnia and Macedonia with green card but no breakdown.

Safeguard cover only Morrocco

Saga do not cover Bosnia/Macedonia (not sure about Morrocco)

CCC do not cover Morrocco (not sure Bosnia/Macedonia)

Looks like Caravanguard cover the most countries. Went with Safeguard this year but Caravanguard will be on cards for 2015 when we go East.

Chris

had green card cover for morocco last year with saga. I understand that the only recovery cover for morocco is with ADAC. I saw them (ADAC van) recover a german van from our campsite in kenitra last year, for onward dispatch (is that the right word???) to Germany by sea.

chris - 2013-11-18 3:24 PM

Sorry for late reply

Comfort only cover morroco with green card and no breaksown cover.

Caravanguard cover Morroco, Bosnia and Macedonia with green card but no breakdown.

Safeguard cover only Morrocco

Saga do not cover Bosnia/Macedonia (not sure about Morrocco)

CCC do not cover Morrocco (not sure Bosnia/Macedonia)

Looks like Caravanguard cover the most countries. Went with Safeguard this year but Caravanguard will be on cards for 2015 when we go East.

Chris

Whilst true that Comfort don't have breakdown cover in Morocco they did advise us to keep receipts and we would be re-imbursed on our return. Fortunately we had no reason to test if this claim was true.

John

chris - 2013-11-16 8:00 AM

We were keen on Caravanguard as they cover Bosnia, Macedonia and Morrocco but in the end we went for Safeguard because of past experience of claims they succesfully dealt with for us. Safeguard include just about all requirements in their policy. Sometimes it is not always the cheapest you should go for but what suits your requirements. Probably next year we will go for Caravanguard as they cover the countries we will probably visit then.

Chris

Interesting as when I was with Safeguard and requiring a Green Card they simply told me "no we don't do that"....end of! Comfort also the same but this year when I came to renewal I was determined to get what I wanted as I planned to tour Albania, Bosnia and Serbia.......all of course needing Green Card.

Scenic were the only company which came up trumps so they got my business.

Quite what it is with Insurance companies and the issue of Green Cards I really don't know as the card itself is FOC to any insured driver. I get the impression the majority of companies simply don't want you to have one. But to drive in these countries you need that Green Card.......without it you are stuffed. I took all my vehicle documentation with me but not once was I ever asked at the border controls for my Insurance. Apart from Passport the Green Card was what they all asked for.

No Green Card means no entry......simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...
Bulletguy - 2013-11-25 4:22 PM

chris - 2013-11-16 8:00 AM

We were keen on Caravanguard as they cover Bosnia, Macedonia and Morrocco but in the end we went for Safeguard because of past experience of claims they succesfully dealt with for us. Safeguard include just about all requirements in their policy. Sometimes it is not always the cheapest you should go for but what suits your requirements. Probably next year we will go for Caravanguard as they cover the countries we will probably visit then.

Chris

Interesting as when I was with Safeguard and requiring a Green Card they simply told me "no we don't do that"....end of! Comfort also the same but this year when I came to renewal I was determined to get what I wanted as I planned to tour Albania, Bosnia and Serbia.......all of course needing Green Card.

Scenic were the only company which came up trumps so they got my business.

Quite what it is with Insurance companies and the issue of Green Cards I really don't know as the card itself is FOC to any insured driver. I get the impression the majority of companies simply don't want you to have one. But to drive in these countries you need that Green Card.......without it you are stuffed. I took all my vehicle documentation with me but not once was I ever asked at the border controls for my Insurance. Apart from Passport the Green Card was what they all asked for.

No Green Card means no entry......simple as that.

The list of countries included within Comfort's current policy booklet definition of territorial limits includes only Norway, Serbia and Switzerland in addition to the EU states. It still excludes Bosnia. It goes on to say that for all other "acceptable countries" outside the EU, a single trip limit of 120 days applies, and a Green card is required.

It clarifies that the Green Card is merely to provide proof that one has the minimum insurance required by the law of that country.

It goes on to say that the insurance will provide "as a minimum" the necessary cover to comply with compulsory insurance in all EU states, plus "any country which the Commission of the European Communities is satisfied has made arrangements to meet the requirements of Article 7(2) of EC Directive 72/166/EEC relating to civil liabilities arising from the use of a motor vehicle."

It further says that, subject to three provisos, full cover will be provided in all countries listed in the definition of territorial limits.

Finally, it says there is no cover for countries outside the territorial limits, but then goes on to say that they may be prepared to extend cover to "certain places" (unspecified) by special request, in which case a green card will be issued subject to payment of an additional premium. It is unclear whether that cover would be full, or the minimum legal, cover. Sadly, the clarity of the booklet has deteriorated under AVIVA.

The main problem countries would seem to be Macedonia and Albania. I believe there may be some problem with accident damage in one or both these states (or possibly Anatolian Turkey). If your vehicle has any visible damage on entry it must be recorded, though the border police do not reliably do this, and if there is visible damage when you go to exit, they will hold you and/or your vehicle unless the damage matches the entry record, or a police accident report is produced. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it would be well worth checking before going as, if someone damages your van while it is parked and disappears, it seems it could cause you loads of trouble!

Brian Kirby - 2013-12-04 5:47 PM

The list of countries included within Comfort's current policy booklet definition of territorial limits includes only Norway, Serbia and Switzerland in addition to the EU states. It still excludes Bosnia. It goes on to say that for all other "acceptable countries" outside the EU, a single trip limit of 120 days applies, and a Green card is required.

It clarifies that the Green Card is merely to provide proof that one has the minimum insurance required by the law of that country.

Maybe other insurance companies are beginning to wake up a bit and recognise 1) they have competition, albeit still very limited and 2) countries such as Bosnia are no longer a war zone. Both Bosnia and Serbia are amazing countries and it's such a great pity that insurance companies in the UK are so restrictive and loathe to hand out Green card cover because without it, you won't get in. You can have the best insurance, the most expensive, the most reputable etc etc,....but they won't even be interested in looking at your Insurance policy on the Borders. They want to see your Green card. Without that you aren't going to get in.

There are many excellent sites in Bosnia and Serbia but the best site I have ever stayed on was in Serbia. Absolutely amazing and scrupulously clean throughout with IR electronically controlled lighting, showers, toilets and hand wash. Also full Wi-Fi. Not the cheapest.....but definitely the best. (Though it did work out very cheap for me as after being there a week the site owner invited me to stay foc as long as i wanted!

Brian Kirby - 2013-12-04 5:47 PM

The main problem countries would seem to be Macedonia and Albania. I believe there may be some problem with accident damage in one or both these states (or possibly Anatolian Turkey). If your vehicle has any visible damage on entry it must be recorded, though the border police do not reliably do this, and if there is visible damage when you go to exit, they will hold you and/or your vehicle unless the damage matches the entry record, or a police accident report is produced. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it would be well worth checking before going as, if someone damages your van while it is parked and disappears, it seems it could cause you loads of trouble!

In both of these countries they were more interested in drugs than and dings or dents on your van! Entering Albania was easy, but exiting was another experience altogether. I was pulled over and they went over the van with a fine tooth comb looking for any sign of interior paneling which might have been recently removed (they look at the screw heads!).

What was amusing though was they questioned as to why i was travelling alone and they actually asked me "why no woman?" It wasn't until i was in Montenegro that i discovered it's the expected 'norm' for men of my age to have a wife! The same in Serbia too where they tried to get me married off!

Archived