Fitting a safe

Boo King

I'd like to fit a safe to my 2001 Hymer B544 before we travel abroad next year. Can anyone advise me where the best place would be-the wardrobe has the boiler at the bottom so I though maybe under the dinette seats. The van has a double floor but I'm wary of drilling into the floor base in case I damage something. Can anyone recommend a good make?Thanks. :-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

I have a panel van so a bit easier. I just bought a £45 one on ebay, its the type you get in hotels, and stood on end, its big enough to take a 15 inch laptop, video, camera, sat nav etec..etc...Its OK but next time I will pay a bit more.

to be any use it need to be plated & bolted through chassis, so in a double floor van you will have to take care (measure twice cut once :-D) personally I would find a cupboard with no obstructions underneath, cut a slot and fix safe to chassis under base floor. Or if you have a garage they are usually single skinned...

One of the things to bear in mind when fitting a safe, you have position it in a place that a thief getting into you M/H would need to search hard to find it then you have to make it difficult for them to get at it with any kind of leverage ,all that and it be accessible for you to get to without too much effort, in our last M/H  I was able to take a drawer out of a unit and fasten the safe to the floor under that drawer, then replace the drawer which worked as normal, it meant taking the drawer out every time I wanted to access the safe. A would be determined thief will know the likely places for a safe ,you just have to make it as hard for him to find in a short time.  You can buy purpose built caravan safes  which fit into the floor and secure to the chassis, tend to be expensive.

Hi. In our Hymer, it is in the top cupboard in front of the wardrobe. Held with coach bolts through the shelf, with their nuts inside the safe. For a thief to remove it , he would have to smash the cupboard unit to pieces !!

Brian B.

ps Which of course he may do if he thinks he has the time

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm waiting to hear Pelmetmans solution, probably have an old knacker of a van, they'll think there's nothing worth nicking inside. :D

Having worked in the trade I have seen the damage caused by thieves trying to remove a safe most of the furniture was wrecked and it resulted in a costly repair bill. The irony was there wasn't anything in the safe. Most motorhomes have lots of built in hiding places so its probably best spreading your valuables around in several places, chances are if you are robbed they may not find the hiding places or if they do will probably stop at the first one they find.

Guest JudgeMental
Met a few people who had been robbed on my last trip...I'll stick with a safe thanks, but it's far easier to fit in a panel van thats for sure....

fjmike - 2013-11-18 6:39 PM

Having worked in the trade I have seen the damage caused by thieves trying to remove a safe most of the furniture was wrecked and it resulted in a costly repair bill. The irony was there wasn't anything in the safe. Most motorhomes have lots of built in hiding places so its probably best spreading your valuables around in several places, chances are if you are robbed they may not find the hiding places or if they do will probably stop at the first one they find.

On a similar vane the Fiamma Security door handle makes a good lever when breaking the door open. A friend had his van broken into at City Europe they only stole a few CD's but did over a grands worth of damage to the van, pulled the fittings for the Fiamma handle right through the side wall.

lennyhb - 2013-11-18 7:46 PM

fjmike - 2013-11-18 6:39 PM

On a similar vane the Fiamma Security door handle makes a good lever when breaking the door open. A friend had his van broken into at City Europe they only stole a few CD's but did over a grands worth of damage to the van, pulled the fittings for the Fiamma handle right through the side wall.

So that's another very good reason not to park in Cite Europe. :-)

Saying or Implying, don't fit security devices because a Thief is going to Damage something trying to over come them, is a bit defeatist, Thats WHY we are insured, against stupid 'toerags' who will cause £1000 worth of damage to steal a £5 worth of goods. Not having the devices will NOT stop them, and if they 'Feel' like trashing your van, they might do that too.

Safe, here's a reasonably priced one;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safety%20&%20Security/Safes%20&%20Cabinets/Sentry%20Safe%20Key%20Locking%20Security%20Safe/d200/sd3155/p76617

I fitted one of these, two coachbolts up though the floor, nuts inside safe, then two heavy screws through the back of the safe into a solid bit of Framing. Inside a bedbox, with limited access for any type of levering device. This has worked for us. I also have Fiamma Locks on the Garage doors, and a Lock/support handle that locks across the main Habitation door. I KNOW that if a thief WANTS to get in and is undisturbed, and is not worried about the noise he makes, He will still get in. BUT at least it won't be EASY for him. (and if the Dogs are home, he could be very very sorry that he did get in). Ray

Vandaemon - 2013-11-17 11:59 AM

Don't forget to tell your insurance co. - they could well refuse a payout on the basis that more damage has occured in attempting to break in to it or remove it than would have happened without a safe !!.

I think they are more likely to NOT pay out because you hadn't 'secured' your valuables.

A safe is a very sensible device to have in what is otherwise a 'Vulnerable vehicle' with poor security (as Standard). Ray

Our previous motorhome an Autosleeper came with a small fitted safe ideal for passports / licence / money etc , so when we got our new Autotrail we bought a similar safe off e-bay about £25 . I have fixed it below one of the side seats behind the gas locker and bolted it to the back of the gas locker whereby the gas bottle hides the bolts which I rounded the heads off , so as they could not be removed from the outside and then bolted through the safe with the nuts on the inside of the safe.

Not so much fitting of a safe, but keeping valuables safe. Bought an Aquapack, a clear waterproof container, used by water sport people, ie windsurfers, canoers etc. Lots of sizes from small for keys + money + passport.

Next size will be enough for camera. Then put it into the onboard water tank through the large top screw lid. And NO we do not drink from tank just use it for washing. No good for laptops but will keep money, passports small camera safe.

Yes it is an oddball solution but bet you or the thief would not think of it ?????

Mike

mike 202 - 2013-11-19 4:09 PM

Not so much fitting of a safe, but keeping valuables safe. Bought an Aquapack, a clear waterproof container, used by water sport people, ie windsurfers, canoers etc. Lots of sizes from small for keys + money + passport.

Next size will be enough for camera. Then put it into the onboard water tank through the large top screw lid. And NO we do not drink from tank just use it for washing. No good for laptops but will keep money, passports small camera safe.

Yes it is an oddball solution but bet you or the thief would not think of it ?????

Mike

Silly boy you have just told the whole world about you nice hiding place. :D

Interesting that nobody posting has actually had the experience of someone breaking in and putting the safe to test. I imagine that motorhome thieves are opportunists but as a cautionary note.....when we moved house recently the previous owner, an old lady, had returned to the Netherlands leaving the safe locked. It took the locksmith about a minute to open it. We just don't leave valuables in the van.

I think that is a very valid point. I sometimes feel that we in the UK seem to always look for the dark side of every situation. Having travelled in Europe for nie on 40 years in motorhomes and caravans we have only been broken into once and that was the MH at an Auchan supermarket in the south of France in the 1980's. Me, being concerned about my dearly beloved MH getting bashed parked away from most of the other cars. Bad idea as while we were inside thieves forced the habitation windows and used a small child to rifle the lockers. They actually got almost nothing but it was a bit a shock to the system. I then realised that the plastic windows were so easily forced that anything else was a bit of a waste of time. After that I did fit a safe to the floor but we spent so much time digging into it, and putting stuff back that we soon realised that we would mislay something important, so we dispensed with it. Like others we now spread items around the van in hidey holes but keep passports etc with us. Not that we have that much to nick as we do not carry expensive jewellery. So far it has all worked well.

I would also point out that in Europe by and large you are much safer than the UK and campsites tend to relatively safe places. If anything we have seen hundreds of pounds of gear lying around on a pitch while the owners have gone to town, and is never touched. So I think the OP should temper his caution with realism and enjoy the trip by relaxing.

Guest JudgeMental
well some of us have more to loose these days, and a safe makes absolute sense. in the scenario you describe a holiday would hardly be affected with a safe..broken window latch repair at most. you simply can't carry all your stuff around with you ... or at least we can't :-S

Guest pelmetman
Don't need a safe............... as there are so many hiding spaces in the average camper ;-)........Just need a good memory :-S.........

Archived