EHIC expiry, maybe take a look at yours

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-11-17 1:37 PM

Also check dates on both your cards, took our first ones out at the same time but mine expired 6 months before my wife's .

Most of us expire before our wives. :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-17 2:03 PM

lennyhb - 2013-11-17 1:37 PM

Also check dates on both your cards, took our first ones out at the same time but mine expired 6 months before my wife's .

Most of us expire before our wives. :-S

Isn't that because we want to? :-D

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-17 12:26 PM

Just noticed our EHIC cards expire in a couple of months, had forgotten they did expire at all, but there you go.

Be aware that google search can throw up some sites that ask for a fee, don't fall for it go direct to here.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

I didn't even realise they expired (why do they?). Luckily, it only took a few days for the new ones to arrive.

And can confirm it is completely free. I can't think of a bigger scam than charging money for something the Govt. provides for nothing, so how do they get away with it?

candapack - 2013-11-17 8:59 PM

Just noticed our EHIC cards expire in a couple of months, had forgotten they did expire at all, but there you go.

Be aware that google search can throw up some sites that ask for a fee, don't fall for it go direct to here.

I didn't even realise they expired (why do they?).

I assume they expire because that's what people do.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
They are pretty hopeless at getting details like DOB and name spelling correct.......had to order 3 times last time we renewed before they got details right. So check details...I don't think they are a legal requirement anyway, a passport will suffice, not 100% so check but don't panic..... :-D

candapack - 2013-11-17 8:59 PM

I didn't even realise they expired (why do they?). Luckily, it only took a few days for the new ones to arrive.

And can confirm it is completely free. I can't think of a bigger scam than charging money for something the Govt. provides for nothing, so how do they get away with it?

I got caught in that scam, for renewal of my passport, so also be aware.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-17 9:25 PM

They are pretty hopeless at getting details like DOB and name spelling correct.......had to order 3 times last time we renewed before they got details right. So check details...I don't think they are a legal requirement anyway, a passport will suffice, not 100% so check but don't panic..... :-D

Don't need one if we are rich as you Eddie :D

A few weeks ago my friends son passed out on a train in Munich (beer festival) taken to hospital check over €600 would have been free if he had his EHIC card with him.

Look at the terms of your medical insurance most won't pay up if you don't have the card.

Edit:

Daughters one had wrong Christian name on it.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I must confess I was a little bemused by judgementals comment, I mean why take the chance.............................but I wonder how many foreign visitors to the UK have a card and still get treated without cost, having said that you would think a UK passport would suffice over the water, especially as we are all in the same EU club......... :-S

Guest JudgeMental

Oh dear bemused are we tut tut... FYI main point was to check details as they often get them wrong! *-)

AND if you lose the card and have your passport you are still entitled..that's what I have been told (right or wrong - so go check)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Perhaps for once you could leave out the sarcasm, I posted something that may be relevant information for others, you think a passport is OK, well that's fine, but if so what's the point of the bloody card WITH an expiry date, and others including me may not want to take a chance that it is........... ;-) tut tut, another good tip in case of loss, a photocopy backup in a safe place.

Archived