Milton Keynes

SAS

There is pay and display parking all round the central shopping area - no height barriers. The closer you park to the centre the more expensive it is. Cost is indicated by coloured lines on the road Red - premium £1 per hour, Purple - standard 25p per hour, Green - Free! but you need to get there by 8am for these. But do pay - the parking attendents don't allow much leeway. Follow the signs for the centre.mk. Let me know if you need any more info. Bob (MK resident for 26 years!)

Many thanks for info, had a great day shopping on fri very impressed! Easy to park (purple area) and super shopping mall. Everything together inc. market. Makes Queensgate in Peterborough (where we live) seem so dated. Not very motorhome friendly here. It`s all multi -storey parking or height barriered because there is and has been a problem with Dids setting up camp where ever. We have a magnificent Cathedral however and it`s great for cycling, esp The Green Wheel.

Lots of lovely walks and cycle paths around Milton Keynes - Campbell Park, Willen Lake, surrounding villages ........... we take the dogs to Willen several times a year. Also Heath and Reach not far away [can't remember if there is a height barrier but there is parking outside under the trees]. Ivinghoe Beacon looks across Aylesbury Vale not far from Whipsnade Zoo .......... gentle hike takes about 30-35 mins to the top. If I see you parked up I'll be in for a look-see ;-)

Well I wish I had payed more notice of this thread. Went to MK saterday to do some body flying (if you get the chance do it, great fun) Drove into car park, saw sign 25p/hr, parked and val got ticket, she wasn't wearing her reading glass's and came back with a 50p ticket for half hour 8-) the meter was in red zone, we moved 10yards to purple zone and brought another ticket. I wonder how many people have done opposite to us and purchased purple ticket for red zone, then got fine, easy to do if you don't know as the same car park has different zones

I find the red and purple difficult to tell apart - colours are too close together on the spectrum - and men are prone to colour-blindness: black or other dark colours would have been a better choice! As C.mas approahces it will be harder to get parked - even if you go early! So do shopping before mid-november or you will be queuing for hours++! They usually get the decorations in the main hall up round about 5 November - and the fireworks display is really good - for those who agree with fireworks ;-)

Lizzy, You have a real point about colour blindless. It isn't generally realised that just over 10% of men have some form of colour blindness, though it's only 1% of women. One in 10 parking purple rather than red or v/v is a nice little earner! And for all you fans, a serious independent survey by some town planning organisation last year declared that MK was by far the most successful of all the 'New Towns' - and the MK Dons are on a winning streak at present (won 6 out of 7!). Unfortunately, the new generation of town planners are turning MK on its head for the planned new (Prescott) extensions, abandoning the grid road system for the new bits. Being town plannersw, they, of course, know better!!!!

Archived