Thank god weve got ABS

dakota

I was sat outside the chemist this morning waiting for the wife , just up the road theres a crossroad with traffic lights , i couldnt believe the speed that cars were coming up to a red light before braking , phew in the old days when we had mechanical brakes had we done that there would have been a pile up every 5 minutes . :-S

Its not just lights they do the same at junctions with major roads. It makes other drivers think they are not going to stop and brake unneccesarily. Green it is not.

It ought to be part of learner driver instruction that the slower you arrive at a junction the longer you have to match your arrival to a gap in traffic avoiding a stop alltogether. Thats a part from saving money on fuel, tyres and brakes.

If the ABS system is kicking in on those cars then yes they are going too fast however I suspect it is not and is simply the advances in braking technology (more efficient vacuum systems/brake fluids etc) more efficient metal components (drums or discs) and the increased performance of brake pad materials which has led to this  'apparent' late braking phenomenon.

ABS only kicks in when the on board computer/wheel sensor system detects a wheel lock up and releases the brakes stopping a skid.

The problem is, the "safer" things become and the more "cocooned" from dangers people are led(choose?) to feel, then the more severe the consequences are, when things do go t*ts up!...

Although even then, they probably still wouldn't take personal responsibility...it'd be the councils fault for the poor road surface....or the weather mans fault for not telling them it was raining!! *-)

Guest pelmetman
donna miller - 2013-11-19 5:29 PM

Of course you're right, and what about this new fangled key thing they use to start the car. Whatever is wrong with the handle you used to use back in the day?

But we're not all butch tennis players with the weight to give it the necessary welly Donna ;-)..............Us limp wristers need a bit of battery power Umph now days :-S.......................I'm even having power steering fitted soon 8-).................

I think I've been stuffing pouffes for to long............... they've sapped my macho manliness :'( ........

dakota - 2013-11-18 9:43 PM

I was sat outside the chemist this morning waiting for the wife , just up the road theres a crossroad with traffic lights , i couldnt believe the speed that cars were coming up to a red light before braking , phew in the old days when we had mechanical brakes had we done that there would have been a pile up every 5 minutes . :-S

A friend of ours has a couple of vintage Bentleys on the steering wheels when they are in the garages he has post it notes with the word BRAKES on them to remind him and the driver who usually drives them how ineffective they are compared to the modern cars they normally drive.

Archived