Favourite French Places/ Aires

Corky 8

On these cold dark evenings I spend a lot of time looking through the Aires books and online Aire web sites, Trying to find that elusive Gem of a Location to visit with just as nice Aire to Park on. Mainly in France , which still evades me , So I turn to you learned Fellow Travellers, what is your Favourite Place / Aire you like to visit when in France ,GPS coordinates would be a great help to Google earth it, a bit one sided as I don't have one to offer in return.  We won't all be visiting the same place at the same time so don't let that put you off posting your,s .

Guest 1footinthegrave

I guess it's what presses your button, Les Eyzies de Tayac, would be one of my top choices, lovely Aire, complete with your own picnic benches and table, riverside canoe hire, pretty and prehistoric village, peace and quiet. For something at the opposite end of the scale, maybe the city one at Metz, right on the river, next to a swimming pool, and the very nice city and riverside walks just a short stroll away, if the aire is full there is a good riverside site the opposite side of the fence ! ! ;-)

We have loads of favourites, but the main reason for our usage is just the sheer ease of it all, enjoy. ;-) but always keep a sharp lookout for aire signs, in our experience many of the nicest ones have yet to be published ( Long on the Somme comes to mind ) before they become well known and well used, and also some lovely private ones we've often found, some that double up as France passion stops but are just as happy to take 5 euros for you to stop the night.

This is a hard one as we know many great Aires and nice places to visit but a few that you might like to try are:

Trigance, in the Varr, great setting, village is a tourist stop in itself and near Gorges du Verdun.

Carro, bouches de Rhone, right on sea front with local bus to martigues with famous view of reflected buildings in water.

Gourdon, the Lot, well set out aire, nice town with history.

St Pourcain sur Sioule,in the allier, really nice setting on river side, town nice to wander round plus bus to vichy.

Lagrasse, in Aude, nice setting, lovely Provence style town

Nersac, in Charente, again setting in village nice, and bus to Angouleme.

Baume les Dames, nice setting, nice town, in Doubs

Palavas les Flots, in Herault, gets a bit crowded but at Marian and easy for bus to Montpelier.

St malo, aire les ilots, well set out and adjacent bus to city.

Well that's some to get you started, for GPS use camping-car infos web site, but forget Google earth just go to these and other and enjoy motorhoming using the Aires!

robertandjean - 2013-11-21 8:28 PM

Trigance, St Pourcain sur Sioule

The graveyard at Trigance is very interesting. Some of the memorials on the graves are really unusual. The parking is on quite a slope so we overnighted on a grass area about half a mile before the town.

As for St Pourcain sur Sioule. It’s still a very pleasant aire but I can’t forgive them for felling those magnificent, mature weeping willows along the riverbank. :'(

Cattwg :-D

We like St Valery en Caux. It’s a pleasant stroll along the quay into the town. The aire overlooks the channel (‘Alabaster Coast’) and has an interesting pebble beach, interesting in as much as nearly every other pebble has a hole through it. This is a very popular aire and is often full.

From memory the fee is €4 or €5 with an additional €2 for water.

An aire that we discovered last year in Corre (dept 70, Haute-Saone) About 350mls SE of Calais. At the Marina. The individual hardstandings are separated with grass and have e.h.u. and a water tap. There’s a well designed dump point. €8 per night with showers available for €1 at the marina office - although we did not use them.

It’s a pleasant canal-side walk into the village with its shops and Intermarché. The adjoining restaurant (aire and restaurant are owned by the same family) is pleasant and serves reasonably priced lunch time plate d’jour.

Cattwg - 2013-11-21 9:46 PM

We like St Valery en Caux. It’s a pleasant stroll along the quay into the town. The aire overlooks the channel (‘Alabaster Coast’) and has an interesting pebble beach, interesting in as much as nearly every other pebble has a hole through it. This is a very popular aire and is often full.

From memory the fee is €4 or €5 with an additional €2 for water.

Agree this is nice Aire though you can be quite packed in. 5 euro + 20 cents per person when we were there Sept 2013. Services another 3.5 Euro.

Because its so popular arrive early. We arrived 2pm and it was full. We hung around for 15 mins and got a space when someone departed so you might need to hover........

Arthur

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well there you go, St Valery en Caux probably up there with my top 10 never to go to again Aires, all parked up side by side, nothing much of interest in the town, and a crappy beach, just goes to show we're all different........................... if that had have been our first experience of aires. it would probably have been our last. :-S

We have stayed on the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine (Normandy) several times, right on the edge of the Seine with great views and town with all you need just up the road. Easy drive from Calais too.

Nantua (Rhone-Alps) is another nice one overlooking a large lake with mountains in the background.

Stenay (Eastern France), another lovely riverside aire. A large, busy aire but with plenty of room. Very handy for local shops.

Chamonix (Rhone-Alps). This is 'expensive' as aires go at 12 euros a night but its very handy if you want a cable car ride up the mountain.

I've just been looking through some photos of our French trips, so many superb places to stay.

Paul

Nantua.thumb.JPG.aa5d0d6397ae116a7da569bb0dedc03a.JPG

1579805596_Chamonixairefromcablecar.thumb.JPG.003a102150abe4c95c2592550e400588.JPG

I’m probably in a minority here as I have yet to find an Aire I really like - too choc-a-bloc and carparky for my taste. Maybe when I retire totally next year we'll have time to find some we like?

So some ACSI or other sites here that we have enjoyed:- Mostly within walking or cycling distance of a village or town.

FRANCE

Millau

Campsite Larribal

avenue de Millau-Plage

12100 Millau

France

N 44°6'37" E 3°5'13"

Grenoble

Ser Sirant, Lac de Laffrey

38119 Petichet/St. Théoffrey

France

N 45°0'0" E 5°46'39"

Sanary-sur-Mer

Campasun Mas de Pierredon

652 chemin Raoul Coletta

83110 Sanary-sur-Mer

France

N 43°7'54" E 5°48'53"

Brantome,

Camping Brantôme Peyrelevade

46 avenue André Maurois

24310 Brantôme

France

N 45°21'39" E 0°39'37"

Dordogne

Campsite Les Deux Vallées

La Gare

24220 Vézac

France

www.campingles2vallees.com

N 44°50'8" E 1°9'30"

GERMANY

Buttelwoog

Campsite Büttelwoog

Am Campingplatz 1

66994 Dahn

Germany

N 49°8'39" E 7°46'4"

Berchtesgaden

Familien- AktivCamping Allweglehen

Allweggasse 4

83471 Berchtesgaden

Germany

N 47°38'50" E 13°2'23"

NETHERLANDS

Amsterdam

Gaasper Camping Amsterdam

Loosdrechtdreef 7

1108 AZ Amsterdam-ZO

Netherlands

N 52°18'45" E 4°59'25"

Guest 1footinthegrave
Easyliving - 2013-11-22 11:01 AM

We have stayed on the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine (Normandy) several times, right on the edge of the Seine with great views and town with all you need just up the road. Easy drive from Calais too.

Nantua (Rhone-Alps) is another nice one overlooking a large lake with mountains in the background.

Stenay (Eastern France), another lovely riverside aire. A large, busy aire but with plenty of room. Very handy for local shops.

Chamonix (Rhone-Alps). This is 'expensive' as aires go at 12 euros a night but its very handy if you want a cable car ride up the mountain.

I've just been looking through some photos of our French trips, so many superb places to stay.

Paul

Paul that second photo will have Rupert123 laughing his socks off, and 12 Euros a night on a rammed car park is not what the OP, or many of us think of as a nice aire, a municipal at the same sort of money is a no brainer.....................unless you are there to ski...............but there doesn't look to be much snow when that picture was taken, besides he's looking for a "gem" not something right next door to a main road I wouldn't think (!) let's not feed the anti aire brigade eh. ;-)

Yes stayed on all Aires mentioned, and would return to all except st Valerie, as not only is a"pass the salt please" style of aire(which does not really bother us) but the road in is narrow and if you meet another van coming out passing is very difficult. So given always very busy then do not think worth it. Agree Core, stenay and Nantua are all great Aires, although the latter is right on road side. For those wanting noe car park style Aires then of these Core is the best. Regarding Chamonix then we were there in August and yes it is a car park but right next to main cable car station and easy walk to town. It does get very full with day visitors most days, as picture shows but from late afternoon through till mid morning next day is only busy with vans, over a hundred some nights! Adjacent road is very quite at night and there are no sites within walking distance of town so for catching an early cable car or having an evening g meal in town aire scores well, but clearly not one of our favourites.

fjmike - 2013-11-22 10:42 AM

No surely one of the worst has to be the now closed aire at Calais.

We were at the Calais aires earlier this month and they were both open. Are you referring to the campsite? This is indeed closed and looks a bit like a building site.

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-22 9:58 AM

... St Valery en Caux .......... nothing much of interest in the town. :-S

Indeed its a good job we're all different.

But when you are treated like a Lord at the Salle d'Ecosse by the Marie staff because your father was captured there after Dunkirk and spent 5 years as a 'Guest' of the Germans, the place has a different appeal?

Arthur :-D

(For those who may not know the 51st Highland Division and many others provided a rearguard action for Dunkirk and held Rommel and his army at bay until they were 'sacrified' further south and west. Rommels tanks/artillery were on the hill above the Aire shelling the town which is why the part of town is original - the guns could not reach the buildings under the hill)

Guest 1footinthegrave
The thread is about "favourite French places / Aires, as you've explained the place would have been special for you, but for many lured by the promise in the "all the aires" book of "one of the best Aires in France I can only conclude the author was on an illegal substance like the bloke from the Co-op or hadn't done much of France ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-22 12:43 PM

Paul

Paul that second photo will have Rupert123 laughing his socks off, and 12 Euros a night on a rammed car park is not what the OP, or many of us think of as a nice aire, a municipal at the same sort of money is a no brainer.....................unless you are there to ski...............but there doesn't look to be much snow when that picture was taken, besides he's looking for a "gem" not something right next door to a main road I wouldn't think (!) let's not feed the anti aire brigade eh. ;-)

Yep your right their. The first picture is a good one as well, the Nantua aire is very firmly closed.

rupert123 - 2013-11-22 8:40 PM

Paul

Yep your right their. The first picture is a good one as well, the Nantua aire is very firmly closed.

Henri where did you get info from that Nantua aire is closed. Very much open when we passed in August, and no French web sites, including local tourist office, report closure; in fact reports dated late September indicate no problems. May well be water now turned off, due to weather conditions, or did reports refer to fact that aire moved to position shown in photo two or three years ago?

robertandjean - 2013-11-23 1:35 PM

rupert123 - 2013-11-22 8:40 PM

Paul

Henri where did you get info from that Nantua aire is closed. Very much open when we passed in August, and no French web sites, including local tourist office, report closure; in fact reports dated late September indicate no problems. May well be water now turned off, due to weather conditions, or did reports refer to fact that aire moved to position shown in photo two or three years ago?

Was their early October.

Archived