Favourite French Places/ Aires

Corky 8

Henri, will try to find out more about what is happening at Nantua, maybe aire is being updated or moved. Would be surprised if aire did close there as have had aire in one place or another for a long time and town looks like it needs the visitors. Aires do often close for refurbishment. The aire at Henday Plage for example closed in september to reopen end December with new individual spaces, slight change location, barriers etc. But would appear now as closed permanently. When reopen charge will be 10€/night plus 2€for services, as against no charge now, which should mean easier to find a space in what will be a better set out aire, so good news. More good news is that new aire at St Omer is now fully open, 5€/24 hours, as inauguration was last week end, led by the mayor, so many communities still keen on camping-cars.

Thank you all who posted your Favourites/ likes, it has given me a lot of fuel for thought over the coming months of this Winter, and hopefully some interesting and scenic places to visit in the New Year,  Thank you very Much, Safe Journey,  Dennis.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Corky 8 - 2013-11-25 8:09 PM

Thank you all who posted your Favourites/ likes, it has given me a lot of fuel for thought over the coming months of this Winter, and hopefully some interesting and scenic places to visit in the New Year,  Thank you very Much, Safe Journey,  Dennis.

Dennis in closing some of the very best aires we have found purely by chance, keep a sharp eye open for the aire sign where ever you wander hopefully you'll find as we have some lovely spots, and the only other thing I'd add is the best ones we have found have rarely been on the coast. ;-)

robertandjean - 2013-11-24 4:17 PM

Henri, will try to find out more about what is happening at Nantua, maybe aire is being updated or moved. Would be surprised if aire did close there as have had aire in one place or another for a long time and town looks like it needs the visitors. Aires do often close for refurbishment. The aire at Henday Plage for example closed in september to reopen end December with new individual spaces, slight change location, barriers etc. But would appear now as closed permanently. When reopen charge will be 10€/night plus 2€for services, as against no charge now, which should mean easier to find a space in what will be a better set out aire, so good news. More good news is that new aire at St Omer is now fully open, 5€/24 hours, as inauguration was last week end, led by the mayor, so many communities still keen on camping-cars.

OK, I would like to know as am often that way. It looked to me as if they were extending the marina but it was getting late so did not hang around. They may, of course, put some places in for vans but I would guess the price will go up. As you say new aires with barriers are appearing but at these prices they are to expensive and lose their purpose.

St Valery sur Somme.Has 2 campsites and at least one is in the ACSI book, an aire and some wild camping possibilities.We stayed at the campsite.About an hour from Calais and has a vets surgery within walking distance of the campsites.We had lovely weather.The architecture is Flemish, some lovely old buildings, a pleasure port, beach,shops cafes and restaurants.Stunning views over the bay.

robertandjean - 2013-11-24 4:17 PM

Any links to the ST.Omer one? I have wanted to visit that for some time.

Full details of the new aire at St Omer can be found on the campingcar-infos website.

Unfortunately, it's not praticable to provide a link to an individual entry on this site, but it's normally easy enough to locate an aire if you know its name.

For the St Omer aire, use the link below to go the homepage,

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

then click on "Cliquer pour entrer" in the cente of the page. Next, in the 2nd box on the left, click on "Chercher par le nom". Then type the name (or part-name) in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and click on the "Rechercher" button.

You can just type OMER in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and this will list any entry names with "omer" in them. In this instance Saint Omer will be the last entry. Or you can type SAINT OMER and you'll just retrieve the St Omer entry. Click on the entry, wait a little while, and all should be revealed.

(I note that construction of the St Omer aire was not universally approved by the local authorities there)

http://m.lavoixdunord.fr/region/l-aire-de-camping-car-de-saint-omer-inauguree-ce-ia37b0n1703722

I seem to plan trips from a different perspective. I choose an area I really want to visit, whether it be a town, a city or a spot in the mountains. Then I look for the most appropriate place to stay, aire or campsite, usually a campsite. Whilst I can see the OP had favourite place in the title most replies just talked about aires with little information about the surrounding areas. If I really wanted to go to a certain place I would be prepared to stay in the most awful aire if that was all that was available.

Guest 1footinthegrave
AliB - 2013-11-26 10:44 AM

I seem to plan trips from a different perspective. I choose an area I really want to visit, whether it be a town, a city or a spot in the mountains. Then I look for the most appropriate place to stay, aire or campsite, usually a campsite. Whilst I can see the OP had favourite place in the title most replies just talked about aires with little information about the surrounding areas. If I really wanted to go to a certain place I would be prepared to stay in the most awful aire if that was all that was available.

Well St Jean de Luz fits that bill, lovely seaside town, immaculate beach, but don't think about getting much kip on the aire positioned as it is right beside the railway track and the main road. BUT the point is there was a dedicated free motorhome aire with all facilities including free electric,bang in the centre, and no site with the same accessibility to the town, so it served it's purpose as you say enabling easy access to the town and beach. ;-)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-26 10:25 AM

Full details of the new aire at St Omer can be found on the campingcar-infos website.

Unfortunately, it's not praticable to provide a link to an individual entry on this site, but it's normally easy enough to locate an aire if you know its name.

For the St Omer aire, use the link below to go the homepage,

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

then click on "Cliquer pour entrer" in the cente of the page. Next, in the 2nd box on the left, click on "Chercher par le nom". Then type the name (or part-name) in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and click on the "Rechercher" button.

You can just type OMER in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and this will list any entry names with "omer" in them. In this instance Saint Omer will be the last entry. Or you can type SAINT OMER and you'll just retrieve the St Omer entry. Click on the entry, wait a little while, and all should be revealed.

(I note that construction of the St Omer aire was not universally approved by the local authorities there)

http://m.lavoixdunord.fr/region/l-aire-de-camping-car-de-saint-omer-inauguree-ce-ia37b0n1703722

Thanks Derek.It looks very good.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-26 10:25 AMFull details of the new aire at St Omer can be found on the campingcar-infos website. Unfortunately, it's not praticable to provide a link to an individual entry on this site, but it's normally easy enough to locate an aire if you know its name.For the St Omer aire, use the link below to go the homepage, http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htmthen click on "Cliquer pour entrer" in the cente of the page. Next, in the 2nd box on the left, click on "Chercher par le nom". Then type the name (or part-name) in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and click on the "Rechercher" button. You can just type OMER in the box below "Nom à rechercher :" and this will list any entry names with "omer" in them. In this instance Saint Omer will be the last entry. Or you can type SAINT OMER and you'll just retrieve the St Omer entry. Click on the entry, wait a little while, and all should be revealed.(I note that construction of the St Omer aire was not universally approved by the local authorities there)http://m.lavoixdunord.fr/region/l-aire-de-camping-car-de-saint-omer-inauguree-ce-ia37b0n1703722
Derek, we found this New Aire in September this year, just by chance I have to admit as we were en route to the Watten Aire, on the D928.it was a low railway bridge @3mtrs that stopped us ,and it was the Aire we reversed into to turn around, fortunately a young French Lady pointed out to us we could cross over the railway via the Level crossings on the road which runs parallel and to the left  of the  D928 .( Vets on this road) over the crossings the road re-joins the D928 to Watten. I took some photos of the Aire .

Guest searchforsites
Poppy - 2013-11-26 8:16

Any links to the ST.Omer one? I have wanted to visit that for some time.

Here is link to details for St Omer

http://searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22055

For the OP

Here is a link to some reviews for aires and sites we have used (not just limited to France)

http://searchforsites.co.uk/reviews_all.php

Archived