Fitting solar panel

chas

I intend to fit a 90 watt solar panel to the roof of my motor home in the spring, however the only place it can be positioned is between the Heki roof light and the start of the incline of the roof line.

I estimate that to keep the panel aprox level (better for sun rays) it would be nearly touching the incline on the front, and need aprox 3" of packing at the rear.

Anyone had a similar problem like this, and what type of support packing could be used. The packing would be glued down with sika221 suitably cleaned and etched for max hold.

I don't know if roof bars would work/ as there are obstructions like tv arial and truma roof vent. if they could, where would one purchase these considering the span of the roof.

Actually having a slightly sloping panel might be better! If you park your MH so that the sun light hits it properly you could find you actually get more oomph being generated than one that is completely flat!

The main thing to watch out for is that the panel is NOT going to vibrate/move and that it will not be shaded by anything on the roof, such as an aerial as this will really cut down on it's energy production.

Thanks for the replies, I think I may well go for the simple method of mounting on the slight slope, lets keep things simple eh. :D This panel comes in a complete kit, including plastic corner mounts, correct wiring, control unit,sealant, and even a cable entry gland .

However as regards the entry gland, If I remember correctly there was someone one the forum who used the short mast of the tv aerial and fed the wiring through that, with a suitable gland, save drilling a new hole through the roof. any ideas where one of those glands may be purchased? Cheers.

What van do you have? Some come with a solar entry point pre drilled and glanded, ours did. A small cover on the roof neatly hid everything, made the fitting straightforward.

The other thing is that, on some vans, you can wire the panel, via a regulator, directly into the PSU to allow it to manage the charge across both leisure and vehicle batteries. Otherwise, if wiring to the leisure battery, have you thought about how you will keep the vehicle battery topped up?

I fed mine through the satellite cable glade took me a couple of hours to get if the roof and clean all the Sikaflex out of it.

Also I used thin wall auto cable, for the same current carrying capacity you get a much smaller diameter cable, it has a harder thinner PVC insulation and higher purity copper conductors, it is however quite stiff and makes it more difficult to use.

bolero boy - 2013-11-22 8:56 AM

What van do you have? Some come with a solar entry point pre drilled and glanded, ours did. A small cover on the roof neatly hid everything, made the fitting straightforward.

The other thing is that, on some vans, you can wire the panel, via a regulator, directly into the PSU to allow it to manage the charge across both leisure and vehicle batteries. Otherwise, if wiring to the leisure battery, have you thought about how you will keep the vehicle battery topped up?

Hi- my van is over 8 yrs old unfortunately does not have the luxury of an entry point. The leisure battery is wired through a Battery Mate type box so with any luck, and plenty of sunshine B-) it may well charge the starter battery as well, as an added bonus. The leisure battery is an 125amp sealed for life type but I can check the cells when needed. When at home I connect to EHU so may need to fit an isolator switch unless there is one on the solar control box. Cheers

Archived