Croatia

hallii

I am planning our April wanderings to Croatia, what is the best route there?

We tend to use Aires (OK Stellplatz) along the way and are in no rush, we want to see some of the sights on the way there so we are happy to take a couple of weeks to get there.

We don't like paying on motorways unless there is real advantage in doing so, like getting round big cities etc.

H

Guest JudgeMental

surely in April you would be better of getting there and wandering your way back in better weather?

motorway all the way no tolls. head toward Lille, luxembourg, stuttgart, munich, then have to choose route through Austria, Slovenia, depending on where your heading. lots of stuff using search function on Croatia

Good point about getting there and coming back more slowly Judge, the weather will be better later on.

OK on the toll free m'ways, I like them!

I think I can run to £7 to get through Austria,

I want to just get to the Croatian coast and meander down so I will head for the nearest coastal bit to start off.

H

Guest JudgeMental
istria OK, as will be quieter then in high summer, southern part nicer and sea cleaner. Krk island good, we like Baskia in south. Coast heading south from there plus the islands lovely..don't miss the national parks a real highlight, may as well go to lake bled in Slovenia on way :-D

hallii - 2013-11-21 3:55 PM

Good point about getting there and coming back more slowly Judge, the weather will be better later on.

I think I can run to £7 to get through Austria,

H

As long as you remember to BUY the Vignette!

It would be a good idea to check on the roadworks along the route, we had horrendous delays on the A3 around Frankfurt and Nurnberg in Sept-Oct 2012. It looked like a long-term project to completely renew the highways.

Enjoy your trip

alan b

We're planning to go back to Croatia in the spring and we tend to go quickly and come back slowly. As judge said, a good free route through Germany then pay the vignette for Austria, we have crossed Slovenia before but do it off motorway stopping for the night at a campsite at Postojna, its a lovely cross country route to enjoy the scenery using the 82 and 210 to Skofja Loka then Logatec. One question does anyone know how far down the toll motorway is completed to now as we're thinking of using that to get right down and then wander slowly back

gwyn - 2013-11-21 5:52 PM.................One question does anyone know how far down the toll motorway is completed to now as we're thinking of using that to get right down and then wander slowly back

According to Navtec's latest update (and assuming you mean the Croatian A1), the motorway terminates about 20 miles short of the Neum corridor, so about 60 miles north of Dubrovnik.

Archived