Scam - "Space Saver" bags and "Free Time"

CliveH

One of our clients have fallen foul of this scam. She is moving house and saw these vacuum bag things advertised on ITV and bought them. All worked well but a month later she noticed £99.99 deducted from her account by "Free Time"

A tel number next to the name on the statement just rang so she "googled" it and realised this was yet another scam.

Her bank has logged it as fraud and we have helped her report it to Advertising Standards and the Financial Crime unit.

The scam is all over the internet if you google it:-

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08444412898

and:-

"Quote:

Originally Posted by a7x4369

i bought spacebags from originalspacebag.co.uk and they sold my information on to free time which then took the £99.99 out of my account!

I'm still confused.

You bought spacebags from a company called originalspacebag.co.uk.

I'm OK so far.

Did you pay that company for the goods you ordered?

If so, that's the end of that transaction and I'm still OK so far.

What goods did Free Time charge you for?

Did you check a box anywhere at the time of your original order saying originalspacebags could pass your details on to other companies?

Did you check a box that said another company could send you goods?

Did you even get any goods for the £99.99 that Free Time took for your account? This is assuming that you paid originalspacebag.co.uk for your spacebags.

Are you saying that originalspacebags sold on your credit card/bank account details to a different company (Free Time)?

Is that even legal without giving OK?"

And of course - No it isn't legal - but it does seem to be happening a lot.

Quick result is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OFF THE TV! - after all you can buy these things at local stores!

So beware buying anything via phone from a TV add - especially with Xmas coming up!

:-S

Guest pelmetman
Is the credit card company not liable?...........as they appear to be providing card facilities to a dodgy business *-).............

Yes it is Dave.

But the trouble is that the order of magnitude is such that the banks/credit card companies want proof that you DIDN'T order something.

And that - believe it or not - is far harder to prove than ordering something that arrived damaged or not at all.

This lady was asked to provide full details of the item she purchased and when she said "nothing" - it just appeared on her statement - the credit card company said - "sorry - you must have signed/ordered something or our systems would not have taken the money! - no proof of purchase - no refund!"

It was only when we got involved on her behalf and stated that we would be submitting a Subject Access Request via her authority - to obtain the full audit trail as to how and why they paid the £99.99 without any authority to do so, that they sat up and took notice.

:-S

Will85 - 2013-11-21 3:20 PM

It puzzles me why seemingly sensible people even think about buying such items.

We use them all the time when packing the caravan - saves a huge amount of space.

So we can recommend them - but suggest buying from the high street - NOT via a TV add.

It's the way things are now. It's called 'on line shopping'

We don't do it except for Amazon and Ancestry. Never any problems from Ancestry but if I buy from Amazon we get quite a few emails from companies trying to sell us stuff similar to what we bought off Amazon. I just delete them.

Dave

Agreed - we do much the same - what made this case "interesting" was that the original advert for these "Space Saver" bags was on ITV.

So the advertising standards authority are now involved - no idea if this will be a help or a hindrance! :-D

But happy to say - that after getting nowhere herself, one phone call from us to their complaints department on her behalf and now she is being treated seriously and with consideration.

Annoys me when people get fobbed off.

nowtelse2do - 2013-11-21 3:35 PM

It's the way things are now. It's called 'on line shopping'

We don't do it except for Amazon and Ancestry. Never any problems from Ancestry but if I buy from Amazon we get quite a few emails from companies trying to sell us stuff similar to what we bought off Amazon. I just delete them.

Dave

Ancestry , I tell ya this guy is desperate , he's hoping and preying to find even the slightest connection to some form of Yorkshire background init .

Why would anyone seek a connection with Yorkshire?

My business partner is Tyke, and whilst you can tell that he's from Yorkshire, you can't tell him anything else. He is the living proof that a Yorkshireman is no more that a Scot, with all the humour and generosity wrung out of him. It is his proud claim that his Dad invented copper wire when a Scot tried to take an old penny from him.

AGD

Archived