Superb Phone Deal for Virgin Cable Customers

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

Virgin has a superb new deal for smartphone users who have a Virgin landline or mobile phone package. It's called Smart Call and works like this:

Download the app for iPhone or Android and sign up.

Wherever you are in the world, as long as you have a wi-fi signal you can ring any UK number which you have as part of your normal package. I pay 50p a day and can phone any normal UK landline, 0845 and 0870 numbers and any mobile network.

So if I was in Morocco for instance or even Australia, I can ring any number that I can ring in the UK for no cost whatsoever.

If you don't have a package like me you can still phone any of the UK numbers and you'd pay the same price as if you were phoning from home.

Now I hear you say: "What about Skype?" Well, Skype free call are only to someone who also has Skype and if you use Skype's service to ring normal phone numbers you have to pay, and it can become expensive if you're outside Europe for instance.

The sytem works of course because the first part of the call, from say, New York to the UK, costs Virgin and you nothing as it goes over the Internet. When Virgin receive the call it's then switched to its normal landline service and it's as though you're phoning from the UK.

You can also use this deal if you have a Virgin mobile phone and you can phone whatever numbers you call on your mobile for the same deal that you have on that phone.

So to sum up, if you can find a wi-fi outlet, it's just like picking up your home phone or your Virgin cellphone and dialling any number for the same price as if you were at home, which may be nothing if you're on a home or mobile package.

Obviously, your package limitations apply, so if you're using your mobile phone on this deal and you have 300 minutes a month, you have to stick within that limit.

So what's the cost?

Is it only for monthly contracts?

We have PASG phones, as we don't use them very much, mainly when away in the van

we do have Virgin phone/broadband and TV, which do cost quiet a lot IMO, (have 2 boxes, so OH can watch sport) so I doubt that the mobile would work for us.

PJay

Guest Had Enough
PJay - 2013-11-25 5:34 PM

So what's the cost?

We have PASG phones, as we don't use them very much, mainly when away in the van

we do have Virgin phone/broadband and TV, which do cost quiet a lot IMO, (have 2 boxes, so OH can watch sport) so I doubt that the mobile would work for us.

PJay

There's no cost. If you have a Virgin home phone you can make a call from abroad and you'll be charged the same price as if you'd made it from home. If you have a call package then there'll be no charge.

You do not need a mobile phone on the Virgin network. I'm with T-Mobile EE.

But you do need a mobile phone that's a smart phone which will connect to wi-fi.

Guest Had Enough
Caddies104 - 2013-11-25 5:34 PM

Hi

Good deal but as all our family have either an I pad or I phone we use FaceTime which costs nothing and can speak face to face, using WiFi ....brilliant piece of kit..

But isn't that just like Skype? And what if you want to make a call to a normal phone number or to someone who doesn't have FaceTime?

This Virgin deal allows you to call any mobile or landline number free of charge if you already have a Virgin package on either your home phone or your mobile. You don't need both, just a home phone or a mobile.

Had Enough - 2013-11-25 5:38 PM

So what's the cost?

PJay

There's no cost. If you have a Virgin home phone you can make a call from abroad and you'll be charged the same price as if you'd made it from home. If you have a call package then there'll be no charge.

You do not need a mobile phone on the Virgin network. I'm with T-Mobile EE.

But you do need a mobile phone that's a smart phone which will connect to wi-fi.

Thanks for that. Oh has a smart phone, but I have a good old fashioned one,no frills except a camera . i don't even switch it on often!! I personally feel my phone is for emergencies, for when I am on my own , in the car. may be think about it ! Xmas pressy perhaps??

Guest Had Enough
colin - 2013-11-25 5:26 PM

Thats interesting, was looking at their packages just the other day as they use EE network, which I've found to have better coverage than O2 and vodafone.

If you don't have Virgin Cable with a home phone then you'll need to have a Virgin mobile phone and then any calls you make will be part of your phone package.

I'm on T-Mobile/EE but fortunately I have a home phone on Virgin cable. With that I can make unlimited calls to landlines and any mobile network from anywhere in the world as long as I can find a wi-fi signal.

I pay £15 a month for all the unlimited calls and as I ring mobiles quite a lot it saves me pounds.

So what's the cost?

PJay

Were like you P.A.G phone but not one of these smart phones, just a basic mobile although one is with Virgin the other with Orange.

We have the phone/broadband/and basic t.v M we dropped the X package and bought a Sky free to Air Humax H.D as I begrudged paying high charges when we spend so much time away in the van.

I rang them this morning as we had a letter telling us our package was being increased by £3 a month extra and I understood we would be able to get the Sky sports channels as was printed on the letter !! but no we have to pay for them if we want them ! that letter was very misleading.

I do get a good deal with my landline though as I can ring for 60 mins without charge I think that is £14 + a month.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2013-11-25 7:11 PM

You say 50p a day that's 15 quid a month, is that on top of your contract price?

Don't really see the advantage as everyone has mobiles these days you can you Viber free to call mobiles via wifi, OK both ends need a data connection.

What contract price? I'm talking about my home phone. For 50p a day I can ring any number in Britain, any 0845 or 0870 number and any mobile network! When you consider the cost of phoning a mobile phone it saves us a fortune!

And as for Viber, it's no different from Skype surely? With the Virgin system the person I'm calling doesn't need to have a data connection. Using my mobile I can ring any phone in Britain from anywhere in the world without any additional cost.

You say "OK, both ends need a data connection". That's the problem, most people who you may want to phone may not have a data connection and may not even have Viber.

What good is Viber if you're in Morocco and have to phone your insurer or your bank or credit card company? If I can get wi-fi I can phone them as often as I like for nothing!

I repeat, if I can find wi-fi it doesn't matter whether the person I'm phoning has data, a landline or a mobile phone. I can ring them any time from anywhere in the world! All that is within my home phone's 50p a day deal!

BT have a similar arrangement. If you have a BT landline calls package you can use a BT app called "smart talk" on a smart phone or tablet and make calls when it is connected to the internet as if you were at home so:

If like us you have the unlimited calls 24/7 package at home you can make unlimited calls form your smart 'phone when it is connected to the internet either by wifi to a local hotspot or, if as we have, your smart 'phone has a data SIM you can use the app via that.

Our mobile has 2 SIMS - 1 for data (we use the Europoa SIM which for €3 for 24hrs gives you unlimited internet all over Europe ((slows down if you go over 500Meg)) . That means the boss can be on the 'phone and I can be on my computer. It takes a lot of using to go through 500Meg in a day.

Yes you can use Skype if the folk on the other end have a 'puter but it can rack up if you use Skype to call landlines or mobiles back home. If you are using a data connection anyway it is a good app to have.

Had Enough - 2013-11-25 8:08 PM

lennyhb - 2013-11-25 7:11 PM

You say 50p a day that's 15 quid a month, is that on top of your contract price?

Don't really see the advantage as everyone has mobiles these days you can you Viber free to call mobiles via wifi, OK both ends need a data connection.

What contract price? I'm talking about my home phone. For 50p a day I can ring any number in Britain, any 0845 or 0870 number and any mobile network! When you consider the cost of phoning a mobile phone it saves us a fortune!

And as for Viber, it's no different from Skype surely? With the Virgin system the person I'm calling doesn't need to have a data connection. Using my mobile I can ring any phone in Britain from anywhere in the world without any additional cost.

You say "OK, both ends need a data connection". That's the problem, most people who you may want to phone may not have a data connection and may not even have Viber.

What good is Viber if you're in Morocco and have to phone your insurer or your bank or credit card company? If I can get wi-fi I can phone them as often as I like for nothing!

I repeat, if I can find wi-fi it doesn't matter whether the person I'm phoning has data, a landline or a mobile phone. I can ring them any time from anywhere in the world! All that is within my home phone's 50p a day deal!

Can I ask what mobile you have ? is it a smart phone ? Im afraid Im not up on all these different contraptions :-D I have an old Motorola and O.H who is with Virgin just an ordinary Samsung, I have just this weekend found out about this new deal so Im thinking it might be worth my while asking Father Christmas ;-) to bring me a new phone.

Frank your original post is very confusing you gave the impression you were talking about your mobile contract now you say you are talking about your landline.

Really don't see much advantage to it, no one I know ever calls a mobile from a home phone most do what I do use my mobile then it doesn't cost anything. When phoning from abroad rates are so cheap now compared to what they used to be for the odd call not worth worrying about.

Guest Peter James
When I read the title I thought this deal was the one I have - I bought a Virgin Mobile PAYG phone for £15 including £10 of credit. Then anyone with a virgin landline can call me on my mobile for the same price as a normal landline call - free if your package includes it. But I have changed my own landline to BT because you get free nationwide Wifi - and its good - something like 2 million hotspots. I understand you also get free wifi in Europe too, but haven't tried that yet.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2013-11-25 9:34 PM

Frank your original post is very confusing you gave the impression you were talking about your mobile contract now you say you are talking about your landline.

Really don't see much advantage to it, no one I know ever calls a mobile from a home phone most do what I do use my mobile then it doesn't cost anything. When phoning from abroad rates are so cheap now compared to what they used to be for the odd call not worth worrying about.

I thought that the thread title may have given it away! Plus it's been repeated since the first post that I'm talking about my landline, although this deal is also available to Virgin mobile clients

As for 'no one calls a mobile from a home phone' you couldn't be more wrong. My wife doesn't have a contract mobile and I'm out a lot. My daughter, and other people whom we know, no longer have landlines so my wife has to phone their mobiles using a landline. The cost would be horrendous if we didn't have this package deal of 50p a day. Yes, I have a contract mobile and we could use mine if I'm in, but I'm not in most of the week! Do you and your wife have a contract mobile each?

Also, your argument only holds good if you have a contract and you pay for so many minutes a month. If you're on Pay as You Go you will find it very expensive to phone other mobiles. My Virgin home phone package at 50p a day is much cheaper than using a PAYG phone. And remember, that 50p a day also covers all my landline calls and all 0845 and 0870 numbers!

And as for rates being cheap from abroad, I sincerely hope that you never have an emergency when in Morocco, Bosnia or any other non-EU country. At £1 a minute you'll rack up vast amounts of money talking to your insurers etc. Even in Europe 25p a minute will stack up if you're kept waiting for ages to get through to an insurer for instance.

In Croatia last year costs were horrendous, now if I can find wi-fi I can talk all day if I want to.

You may not need to make many calls when abroad but I and others do. I have a business to keep in touch with. I have family that I need to call occasionally but the worst scenario as I've said is if you find that you have to make lots of calls in an emergency. You'll be in for a very big bill!

Guest Had Enough
Frankkia - 2013-11-25 9:10 PM

BT have a similar arrangement. If you have a BT landline calls package you can use a BT app called "smart talk" on a smart phone or tablet and make calls when it is connected to the internet as if you were at home so:

If like us you have the unlimited calls 24/7 package at home you can make unlimited calls form your smart 'phone when it is connected to the internet either by wifi to a local hotspot or, if as we have, your smart 'phone has a data SIM you can use the app via that.

Our mobile has 2 SIMS - 1 for data (we use the Europoa SIM which for €3 for 24hrs gives you unlimited internet all over Europe ((slows down if you go over 500Meg)) . That means the boss can be on the 'phone and I can be on my computer. It takes a lot of using to go through 500Meg in a day.

Yes you can use Skype if the folk on the other end have a 'puter but it can rack up if you use Skype to call landlines or mobiles back home. If you are using a data connection anyway it is a good app to have.

Bang on. Some of us have to make phone calls when abroad and these deals are superb.

You are right Peter you can get "free" wifi from 2 million hotspots around the UK. These include many cafes, restaurants, hotels etc AND most domestic BT internet users as they are automatically opted into FON.

The European side of it is a bit faffy but it can be done.

Also whilst you are connected to a "Hotspot" you can use the "Smart talk" app I mentioned above to make free 'phone calls ( as long as your own 'phone package gives you free calls) or at any rate a the cost of making a call from your home 'phone.

You are right Peter you can get "free" wifi from 2 million hotspots around the UK. These include many cafes, restaurants, hotels etc AND most domestic BT internet users as they are automatically opted into FON.

The European side of it is a bit faffy but it can be done.

Also whilst you are connected to a "Hotspot" you can use the "Smart talk" app I mentioned above to make free 'phone calls ( as long as your own 'phone package gives you free calls) or at any rate a the cost of making a call from your home 'phone.

Oops - double post and I only pressed it once - honest guv!

Had Enough - 2013-11-25 9:56 PM

And as for rates being cheap from abroad, I sincerely hope that you never have an emergency when in Morocco, Bosnia or any other non-EU country. At £1 a minute you'll rack up vast amounts of money talking to your insurers etc. Even in Europe 25p a minute will stack up if you're kept waiting for ages to get through to an insurer for instance.

I see your point now, some years ago I broke down in France racked up over £50 in mobile calls mostly the breakdown company calling me to update me, that was when it was £1.50/min to receive calls.

• 1 month later...
Had Enough - 2013-11-25 12:53 PM

Virgin has a superb new deal for smartphone users who have a Virgin landline or mobile phone package. It's called Smart Call and works like this:

Wherever you are in the world, as long as you have a wi-fi signal you can ring any UK number which you have as part of your normal package. I pay 50p a day and can phone any normal UK landline, 0845 and 0870 numbers and any mobile network.

So if I was in Morocco for instance or even Australia, I can ring any number that I can ring in the UK for no cost whatsoever.

If you don't have a package like me you can still phone any of the UK numbers and you'd pay the same price as if you were phoning from home.

Now I hear you say: "What about Skype?" Well, Skype free call are only to someone who also has Skype and if you use Skype's service to ring normal phone numbers you have to pay, and it can become expensive if you're outside Europe for instance.

The sytem works of course because the first part of the call, from say, New York to the UK, costs Virgin and you nothing as it goes over the Internet. When Virgin receive the call it's then switched to its normal landline service and it's as though you're phoning from the UK.

You can also use this deal if you have a Virgin mobile phone and you can phone whatever numbers you call on your mobile for the same deal that you have on that phone.

So to sum up, if you can find a wi-fi outlet, it's just like picking up your home phone or your Virgin cellphone and dialling any number for the same price as if you were at home, which may be nothing if you're on a home or mobile package.

Obviously, your package limitations apply, so if you're using your mobile phone on this deal and you have 300 minutes a month, you have to stick within that limit.

Ive resurrected this thread as I have just bought a Samsung phone and Ive filled in the relevant information on my Virgin account, received the text on my orange payg phone now Im stuck *-) following the link they gave me I need to download the app !! HOW and Where and how much?? I saw one that was £7 is that what I need to do isnt there a free one somewhere??

thanks maggy

maggyd - 2014-01-18 2:53 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-25 12:53 PM

Ive resurrected this thread as I have just bought a Samsung phone and Ive filled in the relevant information on my Virgin account, received the text on my orange payg phone now Im stuck *-) following the link they gave me I need to download the app !! HOW and Where and how much?? I saw one that was £7 is that what I need to do isnt there a free one somewhere??

thanks maggy

HELLS BELLS DONT DO IT >:-( Ive just been downloading the app following the link from Virgin !! I had £23 in credit !! Ive just had a text telling me I have 99p left on my account.

The Orange site is down so I cant check my usage !! I feel sick 8-) Ive now disabled Data on my phone and its staying that way.

maggyd - 2014-01-18 8:17 PM

HELLS BELLS DONT DO IT >:-( Ive just been downloading the app following the link from Virgin !! I had £23 in credit !! Ive just had a text telling me I have 99p left on my account.

The Orange site is down so I cant check my usage !! I feel sick 8-) Ive now disabled Data on my phone and its staying that way.

Have you been keeping check of the data use on your smartphone? and which plan are you on?

Get it wrong on Orange(or any other) PAYG and you will burn throu credit as fast as you can top up, you need to check which apps are connecting, how often, and how much they download.

Guest Had Enough

My God, who downloads apps using 3G - massively expensive if in PAYG and it will soon delete your allowance if you're on a contract.

Only download apps using wi-fi.

I'm in Morocco and have a super Maroc usb dongle that gives me unlimited data for a month. Connectify on my laptop creates a wi-fi zone. Using Virgin Smartcall in that wi-fi zone I've made phone calls to landlines and mobiles in the UK that would have cost me about £50 so far (£1.50 a minute from here normally).

A superb app!

Archived