Superb Phone Deal for Virgin Cable Customers

Guest Had Enough

Had Enough - 2014-01-19 8:15 AM

My God, who downloads apps using 3G - massively expensive if in PAYG and it will soon delete your allowance if you're on a contract.

Only download apps using wi-fi.

I'm in Morocco and have a super Maroc usb dongle that gives me unlimited data for a month. Connectify on my laptop creates a wi-fi zone. Using Virgin Smartcall in that wi-fi zone I've made phone calls to landlines and mobiles in the UK that would have cost me about £50 so far (£1.50 a minute from here normally).

A superb app!

8-) Well thats me learning the hard way !! I did think I was doing it wireless linked to my home hub :$

I only bought this phone last Saturday so I could benefit with this Smartcall offer as my old Motorola couldnt do it. Ive only been on line since Friday afternoon as the first sim was faulty, I had to send for another free one and install it myself (the shop did the last one) when I topped it up with £10 that meant I had £25, after having to call the help line a few times to ask why my number was taking so long ! I was left with £23 something?? now Ive got a big OOOO I cant get onto my account on line either to check it as They are working on it and its unavailable.

Ill wait until my Son calls later and see what he says :-S but I think Ive learned the hard way. The saying you cant teach an OLD DOG new tricks comes to mind.

Guest Had Enough
maggyd - 2014-01-19 9:47 AM

My God, who downloads apps using 3G - massively expensive if in PAYG and it will soon delete your allowance if you're on a contract.

I'm in Morocco and have a super Maroc usb dongle that gives me unlimited data for a month. Connectify on my laptop creates a wi-fi zone. Using Virgin Smartcall in that wi-fi zone I've made phone calls to landlines and mobiles in the UK that would have cost me about £50 so far (£1.50 a minute from here normally).

A superb app!

8-) Well thats me learning the hard way !! I did think I was doing it wireless linked to my home hub :$

I only bought this phone last Saturday so I could benefit with this Smartcall offer as my old Motorola couldnt do it. Ive only been on line since Friday afternoon as the first sim was faulty, I had to send for another free one and install it myself (the shop did the last one) when I topped it up with £10 that meant I had £25, after having to call the help line a few times to ask why my number was taking so long ! I was left with £23 something?? now Ive got a big OOOO I cant get onto my account on line either to check it as They are working on it and its unavailable.

Ill wait until my Son calls later and see what he says :-S but I think Ive learned the hard way. The saying you cant teach an OLD DOG new tricks comes to mind.

Yes, you learned the hard way I'm afraid! Here's a tip. You will eventually get more apps and there are some superb ones. Apps regularly update themselves but in the settings you can opt to only allow updating when connected to wi-fi.

Another good tip, which you know about, is to disable data transmission completely. This won't stop data downloading or uploading using wi-fi nor will it affect phone calls or texts.

Data transmission when abroad is very expensive especially in non-EU countries and there are many true stories of people who haven't done their research racking up bills of hundreds of pounds.

I hope you enjoy your phone, used properly they're like having a PC in your pocket.

Had Enough - 2014-01-19 1:06 PM

A superb app!

Yes, you learned the hard way I'm afraid! Here's a tip. You will eventually get more apps and there are some superb ones. Apps regularly update themselves but in the settings you can opt to only allow updating when connected to wi-fi.

Another good tip, which you know about, is to disable data transmission completely. This won't stop data downloading or uploading using wi-fi nor will it affect phone calls or texts.

Data transmission when abroad is very expensive especially in non-EU countries and there are many true stories of people who haven't done their research racking up bills of hundreds of pounds.

I hope you enjoy your phone, used properly they're like having a PC in your pocket.

Thanks for the tip :-D Im really kicking myself now!! my eldest Son called yesterday afternoon and with a flick of his finger on the screen :-S switched on my wireless and downloaded the app; in a couple of minuets (lol) that will teach me not to be too impatient.

I managed to get onto my account and there was two pages of time and price that showed where my money had gone >:-( and the time was seconds if that apart .

Had Enough - 2014-01-19 1:06 PM

A superb app!

Thanks for the tip :-D Im really kicking myself now!! my eldest Son called yesterday afternoon and with a flick of his finger on the screen :-S switched on my wireless and downloaded the app; in a couple of minuets (lol) that will teach me not to be too impatient.

I managed to get onto my account and there was two pages of time and price that showed where my money had gone >:-( and the time was seconds if that apart and each one 0.93 p

As per my earlier post, what plan are you on? If you want to use your smart phone for downloading data on orange PAYG you need to be on Dolphin, with a £10 top up you will get (in first month) 1gb data, 400(? ) texts, 168 mins of talk time(if you've sent '2014 mns' to 450) plus your £10 of credit which continues beyond that month. If you have been on Dolphin for some time, you need to make sure you are registered to 'new dolphin' or you only get the old 100mb of data. If you have been on another plan for some time and wish to stay on that you also need to check how much you will be charged for data downloads NOT ON WEBSITE but throu an operator as they don't update charges automatically and you will get charged as per your original t&c's

colin - 2014-01-20 2:05 PM

As per my earlier post, what plan are you on? If you want to use your smart phone for downloading data on orange PAYG you need to be on Dolphin, with a £10 top up you will get (in first month) 1gb data, 400(? ) texts, 168 mins of talk time(if you've sent '2014 mns' to 450) plus your £10 of credit which continues beyond that month. If you have been on Dolphin for some time, you need to make sure you are registered to 'new dolphin' or you only get the old 100mb of data. If you have been on another plan for some time and wish to stay on that you also need to check how much you will be charged for data downloads NOT ON WEBSITE but throu an operator as they don't update charges automatically and you will get charged as per your original t&c's

Hi Colin.

No Im only on Racoon as paying £10 a month is a waste for me I only use my mobile occasionally, I did claim the 2014 mns though.

I usually top up by about £50 or so depending whats already on the phone, just before we go on our main hols in late May, I think I might have put on another £10 before we went into Wales in Sept ! so all in all £60 a year is ample for what I use as I still had £15 on last Saturday when I changed my phone I then had to put on £10 so then I had £25 *-) which is gone now.

But I will go in the shop and show the young man the print off I have done of my usage as it looks ridiculous to me :$ ! but I'm not topping up again until we eventually go away as I can use Johns mob (he never uses it) and Im thinking if I can getting a Virgin Sim or Vodafone I will wait and see whats on offer. Do you know anyone that uses this Giff Gaff? Ive seen on compare.

You don't HAVE to top up £10 per month on Dolphin, but on those months you do, you get the 'rewards' on top of your £10 credit, on Racoon you are getting cheaper phone time 14p/min but paying more for texts 14p each and a lot for data, how you use phone will of cause dictate which plan is best for you.

Virgin uses EE/Orange/T mobile network, if you choose a monthly plan are good value, but debatable on PAYG.

GiffGaff is a cheap version of O2,

Archived