Ouch! signed a contract

Caddies104

Hi

We dropped into the Orange shop (not grocery!) to get our PAYG phones changed. We wanted to stay on PAYG, because we don't spend much, but when they showed us how much we spend a year we were very much surprised... OH spent £220 in a year, and I spend £100. So when they offered us a contract with 500 minutes, 500 texts, and 100mb of data per month, for only £8 per month it was a no brainer."... They also spent a long time with us transferring info over.. We didn't even buy a phone off them as we had phones given us.... Well done Orange/ EE

I have a contract phone with a fair few features as I use it for work and of late I use it far more from home than i used to because the number of free minutes i was wasting each month on my mobile contract.

The result is my land line bill is significantly reduced whilst my mobile monthly fee stayed the same.

My son in Brighton refuses to have a land line as he gets his broadband via cable and has excellent 3G coverage - sadly being out in the sticks - we don't.

Both he and I are on the same sort of contract at about £26 a month but whilst i pay that again for a land line and broad ban he doesn't.

These days IMO - decent 3G for a mobile package is pretty much making a land line redundant.

Add that to the fact that my mobile takes the most amazing pictures and video and you can see why most developing countries are not bothering with the idea of a Land Line network.

It is horses for courses of course - SWMBO has a PAYG mob and that is fine. But I wonder how long it will be before we get 3G or even 4G ! 8-) and we decide that a land line is an expensive and archaic "luxury" we just do not need?

CliveH - 2013-11-27 5:25 PM

I have a contract phone with a fair few features as I use it for work and of late I use it far more from home than i used to because the number of free minutes i was wasting each month on my mobile contract.

The result is my land line bill is significantly reduced whilst my mobile monthly fee stayed the same.

My son in Brighton refuses to have a land line as he gets his broadband via cable and has excellent 3G coverage - sadly being out in the sticks - we don't.

Both he and I are on the same sort of contract at about £26 a month but whilst i pay that again for a land line and broad ban he doesn't.

These days IMO - decent 3G for a mobile package is pretty much making a land line redundant.

Add that to the fact that my mobile takes the most amazing pictures and video and you can see why most developing countries are not bothering with the idea of a Land Line network.

It is horses for courses of course - SWMBO has a PAYG mob and that is fine. But I wonder how long it will be before we get 3G or even 4G ! 8-) and we decide that a land line is an expensive and archaic "luxury" we just do not need?

Ah but just think a moment. If the house is on fire and full of smoke making you unable to see, you can put your finger in the last hole next to the rest, turn it 3 times clockwise, and get connected to the emergency services in a flash. Plus when you were out and about the only 'hacker' you had was the operator telling you to put more coins in the slot and push button A. Made you panic when chatting up the girlfriend in case she thought you were not interested.

CliveH - 2013-11-27 5:25 PM

We changed to mobile phones for both of us and mobile broadband a good few years ago (2007 if memory serves!) and ditched the landline completely. As we weren't very familiar with mobiles at all it took a bit getting used to the newfangled technology (we're still getting to grips with it! :D ) but for less money that we were paying for landline phone and broadband we got the 2 mobiles (good ones) and a broadband dongle. Whilst the coverage has been problematic at times for the broadband (with 3) as they kept messing about with it in our area, it has saved us a heck of a lot of money. We currently pay well under £20 a month for the 2 mobiles combined (100 mins, 100 texts, 1gb data & unlimited landline calls on one, and 300 mins, 300 texts, 1gb of data & unlimited landlines on the other) and only just over £8 a month for the 15gb broadband (we changed to T-mobile a few years ago). If we were still with our landline provider for both phone and broadband, we'd be paying at least twice that!

Mel - you have just outlined exactly the situation my son is in.

I could not agree more with what you say.

Malc - as for batteries - I have a charger in the car, at home and in the office so have no problems keeping my Blackberry topped up. The car charger comes out when we are in the c'van as we have an adapter that the car charger plugs into the cvan 12v system as in case we forget to bring a mains charger.

So no probs!

malc d - 2013-11-28 9:24 AM

The big benefit of a landline is that you don't have to keep charging it up.

When mobile phone batteries last for about a month I may well give up the landline.

:-D

You can charge them very easily with the right powermat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERMAT-HOME-OFFICE-MAT-BLACKBERRY-BOLD-9700-9780-RECEIVER-WIRELESS-CHARGING-/121042760891?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

CliveH - 2013-11-28 10:51 AM

Malc - as for batteries - I have a charger in the car, at home and in the office so have no problems keeping my Blackberry topped up. The car charger comes out when we are in the c'van as we have an adapter that the car charger plugs into the cvan 12v system as in case we forget to bring a mains charger.

So no probs!

That is exactly my point.

As long as you have two or three chargers, and keep using them ( every day ? ) you don't have

a " problem "

I just regard constantly charging up my mobile as a b...... nuisance ( even if it's wireless ).

My landline on the other hand has been working for forty odd years with no attention from me whatsoever.

:-D

Archived